Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"  (Read 11302 times)

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"
« on: December 31, 2022, 08:26:35 am »

I also crossposted on the succesion fort subreddit, although I'm not sure how active it is there: https://www.reddit.com/r/Succession/comments/zzc67z/recruiting_steam_succession_mebanugath_streambelch/

It's been several years since I've played dwarf fortress, and I've been having a lot of fun diving back in with the steam version. A have played in a succession fort once before but it was a long time ago. This will be a fairly standard, no mods for this save and no specific mega projects in mind.

Turns last no longer two weeks, and those who sign up have one year of playtime per round. Comment if you want to be added to the list of players, and/or name a dwarf you would like to claim and their new nickname. Once you've had your turn you will be added to the back of the queue. Once it's your turn  you should reply as soon as possible letting us know you are ready, if we do not hear from you in 1 week to confirm you are ready we will skip your turn.

Background
The world of Licevaanenu "The legendary planet", in the year 208. There are 5 dwarven civilisations; The Reputed Lances, isolated and prospering in the North-East, The Jade Gravel and The Floor of Shanks occupy two neighbouring mountain ranges in the east, The Cremated Crafts have a sprawling civilisation in the west.
And finally The Coincidental Spear dwindling away in the frozen south. There are only an estimated ~190 dwarves left across 8 fortresses, but 7 dwarves strike out north to found a new mountain home.

Their reason for leaving is simple, The Coincidental Spear are doomed. Over 100 years ago the dwarf Iden Friendlygears was banished from The coincidental Spear on suspicion of necromancy. He swore revenge, setting up the tower of Crypthalls nearby and now leads a group called The Silvery Tips.

The Silvery Tips and The coincidental spear have been in conflict ever since, however in the last few decades the flood of undead has swelled, destroying most of the dwarvish settlements leaving only zombies wandering their halls.

The king of The Coincidental Spear, Dumat Tirebridge knew that the end was nigh when their great and oldest city, Ultrabell, fell. It had stood unconquered for 190 years.

Now all that remains is the fortress of Sealtemple, and a few scattered outposts. Dumat Tirebridge has always been a devout worshipper in the god of gambling Israth Planamuse, and so sets their fate on a roll of the dice.

All The Coincidental Spear have ever known is cold and snow, but in warmer climates to the north their have long been rumours of lands blessed by Ber and Athser, as yet unclaimed. 7 dwarves head north with all the supplies and livestock that The Coincidental Spear can spare to break ground, with more migrants/refugees to follow once basic amenities are established.

The first report have already filtered back to the mountain home, the site they've claimed is a temperate shrubland near a waterfall on the river The Flimsiness of Soul. The area is rich in metals, however dwarves have reported damp stone. There are elves only a halfday's journey to the north-west who haven't made contact yet, as well as various scattered human settlements and a kobold fort to the north. They also know of the presence of goblins two days to the east, from their dwarven cousins in The Jade Gravel.

The group call themselves Gikutzanos "The Dabbling Hope", and the fortress they're building shall be known as Mebanugath "Streambelch". Their mission is to form a new home, far from the rampaging forces of Crypthalls. They must dig deep and uncover the wealth of the earth. They must weather the local wildlife, and fight off those neighbours who would steal their riches. This Fortress shall be the seat of a new empire, and one day once their numbers have recovered they may march south and end the vile threat of Iden Friendlygears and The Silver Tips once and for all.

Dwarves
  • Datan Towermeet - Female Miner (59). Worships Ber the Earthen Boulders. A vain loner who's prone to discord. They're tough, have good intuition and a sharp intellect. Loves chaos.
  • Kogan "LeftHandOfGod" Ecrumansions - Male Miner (85). Worships Ber the Earthen Boulders. He may be tough but he has low stamina and poor spatial sense. He has a way with words and can read emotions fairly well. He is humourless.
  • Ushrir "Parzival" Clasparch - Female Craftsdwarf (79). Worships Limar Goldways. She is temperate and slow to hate. She has very good intuition and a feel for social relationships, and loves music. She values strong emotions and disdains self-control.
  • Lor Silverlured - Female Fisherdwarf (52). Worships Tosid. She values commerce and is naturally good with languages and reading emotions. She is easily swayed by her emotions and has a poor memory.
  • Mafol "Salmeuk" Scarredpaddles - Male Mason/Carpenter (78). Worships Akil towermountains. He is a very creative perfectionist. He has a good intellect, willpower and ability to read emotions. He is quite polite but tends to hang on to grievances.
  • Ilral Dabblerpulley - Female Brewer (88). Worships Tosid. She is quite Zany, finding somthing humerous in everything. She has a high stamina and can recover quickly, which is good as she has poor spatial sense. She is not creative and has poor willpower.
  • Ducim Guildwashed - Female Jeweller (56). Worships Vucar Futurebirths. She is frail and recovers slowly, and perhaps because of this she tries to avoid excitement. She has great kinesthetic sense, and a natural ability with music. She has very bad intuition and meager ability with social relationships.

Gods of The Coincidental Spear
  • "Istrath Planamuse" Most often depicted as a male dwarf and associated with gambling.
  • "Akil Towermountains" Most often depicted as a female peregrine falcon and associated with mountains.
  • "Ber the Earthen Boulders" Most often depicted as a female dwarf and associated with minerals and metals.
  • "Athser" Most often depicted as a female dwarf and associated with jewels.
  • "Tosid" Most often depicted as a female dwarf and associated with fortresses.
  • "Limar Goldways" Most often depicted as a male dwarf and associated with trade and wealth.
  • "Vucar Futurebirths" Skeletal female dwarf associated with creation, birth, rebirth and death. They created the tin glaze slab "Bonesburials" in 47 from which Iden Friendlygears learnt how to raise the dead.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:53:20 am by Parzival1 »

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting for new steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 08:27:22 am »

Turn order:

All Savegames
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 05:36:12 pm by Parzival1 »

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 09:58:04 am »

Hell with it, I'll play! Sign me up!

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 10:20:51 am »

Added you to the list!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 02:57:50 pm »

the name alone already sounds like a classic. sign me up :] also, may I have Mafol nicknamed as "Salmeuk" ?

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 10:09:53 pm »

Good to see you here, dude! And on that note, can I get dorfed as Kogan?

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 10:43:27 pm »

Fuck it, I'll sign up!

I'll take uhhhh Mafol.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 09:39:52 am »

Added you guys to the list. @Noagga76 Mafol was claimed by Salmeuk, but if you're after a male dwarf you could always shotgun the first migrant we get.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 06:25:05 pm »

Added you guys to the list. @Noagga76 Mafol was claimed by Salmeuk, but if you're after a male dwarf you could always shotgun the first migrant we get.

Ah I missed that, first migrant then

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 08:57:00 pm »

Year 1
Parzival's diary – property of Parzival
15th Granite, Early Spring, year 208

Founding Seven Dwarves:

Wow, they said it would be warmer up north but we haven't seen snow in days! None of us are used to the heat, so in a fit of impulsiveness everyone except Lor and LeftHandOfDarkness decided to shave off their hair (Salmeuk kept his beard, of course). I'm thinking it can be a new style for Streambelch, we'll see if it catches on.

We've just arrived at the site and so far it's looking very promising. Lor noticed that there were some fierce looking fish in the river, including sea lamprey which frankly had far too many teeth for my liking. Fishing is forbidden for now, much to Lor's disappointment. We're supposed to be the last hope of The Coincidental Spear, wouldn't do to get immediately eaten.

Datan showed us a crumpled piece of paper with her plan for the fortress entrance. We'll dig a path halfway up the cliff, wide enough for caravans, which leads behind the waterfall. Very dwarfy. The plan has two bridges marked, which in the event of an invasion can trap our enemies making them convenient target practice for our marksdwarves. Datan also scrawled “traps?” along the path into the fort, which to be honest was disappointingly vague.

For the time being we get to work chopping down some nearby trees to make a temporary bridge, which we'll replace with something more impressive later. We need to start carving out some rooms to get out of the open sooner rather than later, and then get a handle on the food and drink situation. There's a scary looking Alligator Snapping Turtle who's been eyeing the cats.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 08:58:38 pm by Parzival1 »

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 06:41:10 pm »

Year 1
2nd Hematite, Early Summer, year 208

Progress has continued at a steady pace, we've completed the tunnel behind the waterfall and constructed the first bridge, although it isn't hooked up to a lever just yet.
We've also optimistically set up the trading depot, and luckily we did too because LeftHandOfGod very quickly struck gems. Just carving out the initial rooms we've already got a backlog of rough gems for Ducim to start cutting, this site has been chosen well.

We mined up and set up a small indoor farm on a higher level, just enough to keep us stocked in plump helmets for now. The soil quality is poor so it likely won't serve to feed a full fort.
And finally our days of rough sleeping are almost behind us. It was a particularly fitful sleep last night, with all of us being repeatedly woken by the sound of a lamprey taking on a several sturgeon in quick succession. Datan and LeftHandOfGod imediately took to carving out rooms for us in the lower levels of the fort, and Salmeuk is pumping out beds.

Luckily, Salmeuk and the brewer Ilral became lovers in late spring, so that'll be one less room needed.

15th Malachite, Mid Summer, year 208

It's been all hub-bub at the fort the week, as the first migrants from Sealtemple have arrived. 6 dwarves in total, nearly doubling our number, and a Reindeer and Buffalo to boot. Most excitingly two of them are incredibly skilled, Noagga the High-Master weaponsmith, and Onol a High-Master weaver. With all of the iron ore and dolomite we've been uncovering we'll have a well-equipped garrison just as soon as we set up our metalsmithing industry. It's a wonder King Dumat could spare him.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 08:35:44 pm »

Luckily, Salmeuk and the brewer Ilral became lovers in late spring,

Diary of Salmeuk, Carpenter

I cannot help but feel that my newfound relationship with Ilral may have something to do with my crippling healthful addiction to alcohol. Ilral is easily swayed by emotion, and I have convinced her (amidst our various titillating encounters) that the first of the brew should end up in my mug. Thus I take delight in the various distilled liquids with carelessness.

The river is full of fearsome snake-beasts with faces full of teeth. I have been assured by Parzival that I will never need to step foot near the water's edge, seeing as how important I am what with all this great furniture I make. I failed to mention my phobic reaction to water (and also snake-beasts) as the underlying interest here.

I seek to create the perfect cabinet, as masterful as possible. This task consumes me more than it should.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 09:27:06 am »

Year 1
28th Timber, Late Autumn, year 208

It's the last day of Autumn and already I can feel a familiar chill in the air. Reminds me of home.

We've had more visitors from the mountain home over the last season. 6 more dwarven migrants who've settled in quickly. I had thought most of them were of little talent, however when pressed Zaneg Dancemirrored the fish dissector admitted she was a legendary musician with some skill in singing, wind instruments and poetry. Our numbers have swollen to 19 dwarves now, and we've barely been able to keep up with carving out new rooms. Salmeuk has been hard at work crafting furniture for all the new rooms. When I passed him in halls he's been muttering under his breath about the perfect width of cabinet draws. I'm not sure if I'd call it perfect, but he knocked out a very fetching cabinet for LeftHandOfGod's room.

Unfortunately our chosen spot for the rooms was rich with hematite, and it would be a travesty to leave it sitting in the walls when Noagga could be putting it to use in deadly weapons. We've had to carve up some bauxite bricks to plug the holes, which has slowed us down slightly.

Work on the rest of the fortress has continued in earnest. We've chosen a two tiered design for this section, with bedrooms, temples and the like on an upper floor, and a lower floor with the basic industry rooms below. We've carved out a simple shrine for now where everyone worships, but we'll need separate temples soon enough. Most of the gods are alright in their own way, but I'm not sure I could pray beside someone who worships Vucar Futurebirths, skeleton goddess of death and rebirth. Gives me the creeps.

Seeing as how this will be close the entrance to our fort, we've got plans for a grand tavern on the corner for visitors. Work hasn't begun on this yet, but will likely be the focus for winter even if I have to pull Datan and LeftHandOfGod by the ear myself. I'm absolutely sick of not having a place to sit while I eat. We'll have to see if we can convince Zaneg Dancemirrored to leave behind her life of fish dissection and perform for us there.

On the lower level we've got some basic industry set up covering stonemasons, carpenters, jewellers and smithing. It's still rather basic, we're trying to unsure all the rooms have at least a chest and a cabinet before we get to beautifying the halls and rooms. I like exposed hematite as much as the next dwarf (provided the next dwarf is not Noagga), but some cut stone floors/walls and engravings will start making these halls feel like a home.

We were also visited by our first dwarven caravan this season. None of us are particularly skilled in negotiation, and we'd noticed the young dwarf Litast Smoothmachine had been standing around doing not a lot so she was quickly press ganged into becoming our fortress broker. We palmed a few cut gems off for meat and cheese, to give us a break from the plump helmets we'd mostly been eating and drinking. Stocks are now looking pretty good, we should have no trouble through the winter keeping everyone fed and watered.

Unfortunately the liaison made a passing comment as they were leaving about how next year there'd likely be a large demand for fish, which Lor Silverlured overheard. She had the look of an excited puppy and I didn't have the heart to turn her down, so it looks like fishing is back for now. I haven't seen any lamprey of late so maybe everything will be fine...

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 12:42:30 pm »

Year 1
28th Obsidian, Late Winter, year 208

The winter months have been rather uneventful. Plans for the fortress have been progressing, we've finished carving out the tavern and are halfway through flooring it in Jet. We've decided to name it "The Angry Eel", and Salmeuk and Ducim have worked together to produce a rather striking statue of a sea lamprey. Salmeuk absolutely refused to approach the stream, so he had to sculpt it entirely based on Lor's vivid descriptions.

At the moment the inn is restricted to just our dwarves, but soon we'll be ready to open up to guests as well.
The miners have also carved out some more space below for a craft workshop, allowing me to finally put my skills to use. There's a lot of loose chert lying around that can be put to use.

Our steel production has just begun, with the first items leaving the forge now. We've got a steel breastplate and two exceptionally made steel battleaxes, Noagga has done well.

We've frankly all been getting a little sick of nothing but dwarven wine, so I took it upon myself to craft a pair of beehives. My hope is to be able to brew some proper mead, but it'll be a while before we have anything to harvest. Maybe one day we'll find time to craft a proper meadery, although it'll have to be built outside the fortress as our brief experiments with keeping bees indoors were not successful. Datan said if he caught me with bees in the halls again he'd throw me to the lamprey.

And just like that our first year in Streambelch is almost over. It's been very promising, although there is still much to do. We don't have any military yet, so we're defenceless other than pulling up the drawbridge. We'll also need to set up a hospital for dealing with our injured dwarves and a well for watering them. At some point we'll need to appoint a sheriff as well, opening up our fortress to guests is sure to attract ne'er-do-wells.

And of course there's always deeper to dig.

Spoiler: List of dwarves (click to show/hide)

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 12:57:26 pm »

Next up is LeftHandOfGod for year 2.

The savegame is available here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16309
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9