Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"  (Read 11300 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2023, 01:55:20 pm »

picking this up today! thanks for the save. lovely jet flooring on that tavern

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2023, 07:49:21 pm »

A new year at Streambelches, our fortress hidden in these northern hills. Nothing quite as peaceful as a stroll up from the bedrooms, past the trade depot and out through the brook-side passageway, into the forested slopes full of wild strawberries. Today, I will chop wood, but tomorrow, I must take over from the previous overseer. This responsibility will steal away these peaceful mornings. Some dwarf must act as leader, and my previous self felt confident enough to volunteer. But now I am not so sure.

===

My presence is now requested far too often for my liking. First, the squad of pick-wielding miners felt it would be a shame to leave the original plans of Parzival unfinished. They pointed out the lack of work, and threatened to interrupt the production of food with a gigantic party and feast should I deny them.

So, our channelled hallway was extended in a rectangular fashion, after much arduous but apparently satisfying labor. Plenty of room for temples and the like, and really brings the place together.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The miners requested a search for the caverns. I asked what the plan was for defense during the breach? We had no military to speak of.

Here, I stalled them and sought our newest migrants. These were convinced of the peaceful nature of Streambelches, yet also warned of the danger of goblins, and instructed to pick up swords and begin simple training. A small barracks was built near the trade depot, and the squad commenced sparring with their shining steel swords. Armor would have to wait.

Noagga created an artifact steel spike. Menacing.

Shortly followed by a masterful onyx scepter, by the gem cutter:

===

The humans arrived in early summer, along with further migrants bringing our population to 38. Horrifyingly we were left with a mere five drinks left in the stockpile at this moment... so all present were drafted into plant gathering duties and the nearby forest was stripped of tubers and berries and low-hanging fruits. Our Trade Clerk, Litast, got to work haggling for drinks.

For a handful of shell earrings, and a couple of rock figurines, tourist trap stuff really, Litast scored us *500 dwarfbucks worth of drink, another *700 worth of leather and cloth, and a goat (which we promptly ate). Not bad for an inexperienced broker. Drinks now rest at a comfortable 72.

Above, work began on the much-discussed water trap. A tall cistern, open to the surface air, allowing for a great pressure at the bottom. That's the plan. First, the access canal:

Then, the pump stack and windmills:

And more. . .

===

Autumn passed uneventfully, though an artifact pig iron axe was created. So many artifacts would attract thieves, so all these and more were locked in a small vault adjacent to the jeweler's workspace.

Winter arrived, and the water trap was complete. Not without a few accidents... including my own fall from a tree as I was trying to get a good view of the new windmills. Stupid me, and now infection grows in my wounded hand. We have no real doctor here, something i will have to fix, once I wake up. . . (spoilers: Salmeuk never wakes up and dies midwinter).

A test was conducted, before my accident, revealing that the whole setup may, in fact, be somewhat overbuilt. As within only seconds of the lever-pull a gigantic tidal wave of crushing water was released, throwing many many dwarves off the entrance passage and into the stoney brook below, trapping them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw2rGyQYGYs [video of the water trap in action]

Perfection. May the Stream Belch this clear, cold water, forevermore!

And so ends the tale of Salmeuk, who died after falling out of a tree, but not before attempting to drown nearly everyone, and leaving a gigantic liability useful mechanical contraption to his successor.

===========

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16331

we have, like, no beer. this is problem
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:14:20 pm by Salmeuk »

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2023, 08:15:53 pm »

WHY DO WE HAVE NO BEER!!!! I left you two perfectly fine stills and more picked plants than I can count! Eesh. But great work on the waterworks! Did anyone else die? Also, do we have anything for draining the water out?

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2023, 09:12:23 pm »

It's beautiful. Dwarven engineering at it's finest.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 07:00:29 am »

WHY DO WE HAVE NO BEER!!!! I left you two perfectly fine stills and more picked plants than I can count! Eesh. But great work on the waterworks! Did anyone else die? Also, do we have anything for draining the water out?

I had this problem for a while, nailed it down to two causes:

1. Lack of barrels. You always need more barrels and can never have enough.

2. Kitchen orders. Be sure to disallow any cooking with booze, or with farmable crops (as cooking them does not give seeds for farming), and also the seeds of said crops (unless we have hundreds of seeds).

A glorious water trap! Let's make another lever and put it right next to the workshops, lever pulling is very soothing to the nerves of stressed out fey dwarves.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2023, 01:32:33 am »

Hi just as a note I was planning to get a post out today (technically yesterday) but everything went shitty and I was not and am not really in the mood to play DF. I'll have something out either tomorrow (technically today) or the day after

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2023, 08:37:43 am »

Hi just as a note I was planning to get a post out today (technically yesterday) but everything went shitty and I was not and am not really in the mood to play DF. I'll have something out either tomorrow (technically today) or the day after

No worries, understand completely! Also, if you or others want you can always request to be shuffled down the queue a few places

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2023, 08:52:19 pm »

A post should be up later tonight going through some of the first seasons of the year. Probably won't have pictures till I come back to add them afterwards but they'll be there.

All I'll say for a sneak preview is that our militia commander is apparently a less competent tactician than kobolds.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2023, 07:05:59 pm »

From the Journal of Noagga Alakmesbar, Weaponsmith and Overseer of Mebanugath
3rd Granite, 211
It would seem that I have been chosen to be the new Overseer of this fortress, in charge of designing the expansion of our home and assigning the jobs and labor necessary to sustain us. I'm surprised that they haven't chosen me sooner, to be frank. After all, I am quite clearly among the most talented dwarves here!
Naturally, I've gotten to work right away to get this fortress running perfectly. For my first action, I've noted that our alochol stocks have been declining. Which is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! What are dwarves without alcohol, without booze and beer and mead to fuel our work? Nothing, that's what. We might as well be ground dwelling humans.

Seems the reason for our shortage is a lack of barrels to actually hold any alcohol we're making. I've ordered about fifty barrels to be made. Maybe a bit too much, but better to be overstocked than understocked, I say.

I also noticed that the tavern doesn't have any chests to store the goblets they need. A few of the chests we have in storage are set to be placed inside and I'm also making a few extra cups. Again, better to be overstocked than understocked.

5th Granite, 211

Today, our manager Parzival started complaining that he didn't have an office to manage our work orders in. I thought his brain had started to rot, or he wanted out of doing his job, since I had already heard that he had been given an office by one of the previous overseers. However after taking a look at the room myself, I realized the problem. He did have an office, yes, but he didn't actually have a desk or even a chair to work at. Fair enough, then! I'm having the necessary furniture moved in as we speak...or as I write, rather.

Outside of that I've decided that our barracks are a bit underequipped. The militia is training themselves quite well, but they have nowhere to store their armor or weapons, nowhere to sleep. Maybe the dwarf who last had my job thought they could just live in regular rooms. Well, I won't be having that. If you're part of our militia, then you best be prepared to sacrifice some privacy and living space. For as long as they're in service, the barracks will be their homes.

They'll be a little cramped in their new beds, but they can handle it. I'll get some armor stands and weapon racks soon.

7th Granite, 211

The tavern now has all the goblets it needs! The ale will doubtlessly flow in those halls now. One thing I must admit, I am somewhat tempted to shut out all non-dwarven visitors...but no, I will stay myself. The possible knowledge we may gain from these...outsiders...is more of a benefit than their presence is a drawback. For now.

In other matters, my efforts to get the military into the best shape I can continue. I've decided to have some more armor made for them. Not much, simply a few mail shirts, but enough to keep their guts from spilling out- hopefully, at least!

11th Granite, 211
The fortress continues to run quite smoothly! No doubt due to my wisdom, of course. I've had us woodcutters sent out to gather more wood, for future crafting and projects.

And since I've been such a wonderful Overseer, I believe I deserve some small reward, yes? Glad you agree, Journal.

I'm carving out a modest living space for myself, nothing incredibly demanding. Just something a bit more spacious and...extravagant.

12th Granite, 211

Oh....it's THEM.

15th Granite, 211

Outside of our....tree loving visitors, things are still doing quite well in the fortress. The barracks will be getting some armor stands soon, which I'm sure our soldiers will be thrilled about.

Speaking of our soldiers....while peeking into the barracks, I saw that Muthkat has...brought her baby to sparring lessons. I did say that the barracks would be their homes, but I didn't quite mean...THIS much.

Her child, I suppose, but I can't say I support the idea very much.

18th Granite, 211

I've decided, in the interest of diplomacy, to take a look at the elves wares. Not much we would desire, as is to be expected, but....there was ONE thing that caught my eye. And all it cost us were a few amulets. I think I'll very GLADLY have this purchase.

22nd Granite, 211

My prosperous rule has brought us migrants! Our population now reaches 62 dwarves. The migrants are the standard affair that come from the mountain homes; there are peasants, cooks, etcetera. I'll admit though, that our most recent purchase has me interested in the career of a specific dwarf that has come...

26th Granite, 211

HEAVENS ABOVE THIS IS NOT GOOD.

I have been alerted that at the distant edges of our territory, a BEAST has come. A twisted, monstrous thing, that walks like a man in the skin of a lizard. Well...well...I am no coward, not at all. Our military will slay this beast!

I hope.

27th Granite, 211

Things continue to make a turn for the worst, I fear. The walls of our fortress have not quite been pierced, but our safety is still threatened as the werelizard is now in the watery tunnels right outside. Brave yet foolish dwarves have engaged him, and they are...quite clearly outmatched. I must admit, my fear is not  that they will die...but what might occur if they live.

(OOC: I can't quite remember who all fought the werelizard and who was bitten, outside the pictured cook and fisherdwarf. Whoever plays after me should look out for that...assuming it doesn't bite ME in the ass first.)

Wait, I am told something has happened- as the moon changes and hides a sliver of it's light, the werelizard transforms! It-er, he, I suppose-looks....much more pathetic in this new form.

...and much more killable.

28th Granite, 211

As the day shifts, there is very sad news. Sarvesh has died from wounds suffered in battle with the werelizard, and our fort is now with one less dwarf. A shame, truly.

But he does not die unavenged! Our military finally were able to reach the location of the beast, and engaged the weakened old man it had become in combat. With a single swing, Rel has liberated his head from his shoulders! A true hero, and since I ordered him to do it, that means that by extension I am as well.

1st Slate, 211

A new month arrives, and our fortress moves on from the tragedies at the tail end of the previous. In honor of my brave ordering of our militia, I have continued work on my own personal living space. Truly, I deserve it now more than ever.

I've also decided to smooth over any unhappy feelings our citizens may have had after that incident, by literally smoothing over some walls and floors! Ha, I'm quite clever.

4th of Slate, 211

The armor for the militia is done! Seven mail shirts for seven soldiers. And I'm feeling a bit...bold. Why not test the efficiency of our soldiers?

I hear that there's a group of kobold vermin who have infested a nearby ruins of a fort. Why not clear them out, and take whatever treasures they've gotten their filthy hands on? It'll be an easy fight, doubtlessly. I'm sure the Hairs of Armor will enjoy themselves.

5th Slate, 211

We travel another level downwards, though the expansion is not for happy reasons. After losing Sarvesh we have to accept that we will eventually lose more dwarves. We will build a place to honor them, so as to put their spirits to rest. I can only hope it doesn't fill up too quickly.

8th Slate, 211

The Hairs of Armor have returned! I can tell, because one of the first of them to waddle home is the baby whose mother decided she needs to keep him even on a raid. Still can't say I'm supportive of that choice. Whatever, that is unimportant. What matters currently is to hear the glorious tales of victory!

...I have heard no glorious tales of victory. In fact as of now what I hear are tales of DEFEAT. SOMEHOW, a Kobold managed to...OUTWIT us! A KOBOLD, outwitting DWARVES! I almost don't believe it...

Tragically we have once more lost one of our own. Muthkat perished in the battle at the h-

Wait. Muthkat...

Oh no.

The kobolds will PAY for this!

16th Slate, 211

The local Farmers Guild is mad. Why? Because we failed to build them a guild hall. Despite the fact that a previous overseer quite clearly made a hall specifically for them.

Bah, I don't know what I expected out of a bunch of peasants. They'll get over it.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:09:07 pm by Noagga76 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2023, 10:21:35 pm »

(OOC: I can't quite remember who all fought the werelizard and who was bitten, outside the pictured cook and fisherdwarf. Whoever plays after me should look out for that...assuming it doesn't bite ME in the ass first.)

:D  :D  :D

Despite the fact that a previous overseer quite clearly made a hall specifically for them.

aye, that I did... curious. I wonder if that is due to a bug of some kind.

nice bit of update. No doubt, those kobolds used trickery and subterfuge to gain the upper hand, despite possessing tiny brains and tiny-er hands.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2023, 01:04:14 am »

:D  :D  :D

Despite the fact that a previous overseer quite clearly made a hall specifically for them.

aye, that I did... curious. I wonder if that is due to a bug of some kind.

nice bit of update. No doubt, those kobolds used trickery and subterfuge to gain the upper hand, despite possessing tiny brains and tiny-er hands.

Either a bug, or some very minor detail we both missed.

I've now finished my whole year! Coming soon (like, tomorrow probably) to a fortress near you: MORE werelizards, depopulation, an unlikely savior, and my dwarf appointing himself to a certain two positions in hope of retaining power and influence past his term!

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2023, 10:02:29 am »

Wealth has come to Streambelch. Wealth in the form of controllable super soldiers, as long as you keep them separate from the rest of the fort in a H.U.R.T. locker (High Urgency Response Team). Weredwarves can even hold weapons while transformed, and do respect military orders. I expect great fun from this masterful overseer!
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2023, 04:39:27 pm »

Yello, I’m going to try to get my post out soon, today or tomorrow, but in case I procrastinate I’m gonna upload the save file so Parsifal can start playing if I end up past the updates deadline

Look out for an edit to this with the link

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2023, 06:01:11 pm »

ok, looking forward to it!!

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 01:04:28 am »

Procrastination takes me again. Here's the save file, I'll try to make a proper update ASAP but Parzival can feel free to start playing and updating when they're ready

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16386

Mian things that occurred:

-Werewolf infestation led to a lot of deaths and a period of depopulation, migrants mostly have fixed that
-In a fit of power hunger, Noagga has made himself a very nice dining room, bedroom, and office and appointed himself as sheriff and hammerer with the title of "Justice Lord"
-We now have a tomb, a barebones hospital and a barebones library
-The aquifer makes expanding downward very difficult

Very fun turn, glad to be a part of it! Not gonna sign up for another immediately but I'll watch and see how things go
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9