Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"  (Read 11687 times)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2023, 12:56:28 am »

Get dorfed, then get slaughtered.
We all lost a lot that day. That's what happens when you automine minerals.

And entertainers work. They do stuff. Don't worry.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2023, 05:36:29 am »

A noble death, biting a forgotten beast to death.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2023, 07:09:58 am »

. . . killed with a shirt?

RIP the fallen beards

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2023, 08:51:20 am »

Excerpts from interviews with various citizens of Mebanugath on the :

Asob Artobdeduk, Legendary Weaponsmith: I will always remember 11th Malachite 213 as the best day of my life! A few months back I attended some lectures on making weapons, and I remember hearing that steel was the best material available to us - maybe the best possible metal we could ever hope to work with. I was about to visit a temple after work and meditate on [!], when I suddenly understood how steel - you see, steel is made from iron, pig iron to be exact, iron is supposed to be strong, and pigs sqeal, and when you steal a pig, you get the best of both worlds - listen, it doesn't make sense to me now, but back them it was as clear as rock crystal. Anyway, that's how I made my artefact.

Momon Evostlitast, mining legend: we were mining out new quarters for some new shmucks - Datan, I mean Baprr, Vucar rest her soul, ordered some, but suspended the dig for the search of magma, and now it was getting a bit more crowded and we found the magma, so we thought " hey, the plans are here, new overseer won't be here until 1st Granite, might as well dig." Anyway, eight migrants arrived and the least we could do was get them someplace to live
Anyway, that's when we heard some screaming from the caverns - again - and thank fuck we closed those holes already.

Rith Monomukosh, mayor and broker: the dwarven caravan is finally here, and I knew they were bound to have better stocks than humans or elves - those only brought food. Anyway, they did, we bought plenty of cloth and some livestock. Next year they count on us to provide figurines.
Oh, and Streambelch became a county.

Nogga, The Justice Lord: yeah, I don't trust that amphibia guy, I will keep an eye on it.

18th Sandstone
Kadôl Såkzulmûthkat, The Roc Slayer: Slexsmul The Roc arrived in mid-autumn and it being our off-season - we train in summer and winter, work in spring and autumn - well, we weren't the first to meet him. It chased some wildlife for a while then attacked some visitors that came to either the library or the Angry Eel. Anyway when I geared up and rushed out I saw the craziest shit - a bunch of scholars and nude dancers beating the carp out of the deadliest bird this side of The Tower of Equaling. Their punches couldn't get through its flesh though, and they were visibly exhausted, so I run up and stabbed it to death.

It was just about to start killing the visitors.

Very dangerous it was.

Momon Evostlitast, creator of Ushatamkol: I was working on the magma stack secret project, when I heard some digging on the upper levels. I was in a walled in part of the stack and was supposed to leave it before the upper ramp became unusable but I took too long to dig out my part and was stuck. I was preparing to die of thirst right there and then, but I blacked out for a moment and came to in a mason's workshop with a statue before me. Weirdest thing.

Alino Fidalesofi, one of the many elf poets:
The goblins came one early winter night
Parlay they said they were seeking

When suddenly, without a warning
To an inn a came a werelemur blight.

The goblins were repulsed quickly
Some slain, some captured for later use no doubt

But werebeast proved to be rather bitely
And bit two doctors, me, and one more poet.

Miner: Feels like forgotten beast season, doesn't it? Four beasts this year. Hopefully they will meet some monsters or each other down there.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2023, 08:52:29 am »

Late Moonstone-Opal 4th, 213
Tobul Ustuthingul, militia commander: We knew that werebeasts can spread their curse extremely fast, and we had no time to lose. Interrogations took a long time, but we managed to narrow suspicions down to four people who were bit:
A visiting elf poet, she was obviously injured and couldn't or didn't want to leave our fortress, not that I would want to let a menace like her loose on the world. We dealt with her.

Two doctors, one currently working in The Houses of Barricading, the other doing peasant work. I promoted them to captains and told them to station in an abandoned apartment Bappr dug out for herself. It's not much, but there is a bed, and most importantly - a sturdy door. They can keep each other company until they go wild and kill each other. Or maybe they would be fine, hopefully.

The last suspect was a resident of ours - an elf poet, doing menial labour between parties. He refused to be locked up. We had to kill him too.

I hoped we didn't miss anyone - we do have a lot of elf poets, and most of the reports said just "an elf poet". With full moon approaching, it was all I could think of.
And

Thank Akil we didn't miss anyone. Hopefully we didn't kill the elves in vain too, but safety of the fortress comes first. Some of the performers are fighting now. We will deal with them.

12th Opal, 213
An anonymous Herbalist spokeperson: We demand a better guildhall! The Herbalists Guild is the largest guild in this city, and we deserve better!

23rd Opal, 213
Same Miner as last time: Well, I'll be damned. Did anyone see it though?

And then, not much actually happened.
A Surgeon got posessed and created a granite crown

Predictably, the two werecaptains turned into werelemurs

Here are all the big changes:
The trapped corridor - it isn't nearly trapped enough yet, but I was occupied. There is at least a watch bird.

A couple guildhalls I built

This hall is for all the pets that gave their lives for the fortress

Some rather more compact apartments

As well as the dormitory for those who are into that thing. I'm not saying anything, but there is a population of residents that don't respect clothing.

The future magma forges! The magma stack is mostly ready, though the next overseer will have to install a lot of pumps.

The moon is full, and you know what that means

The current magma forges, with a little trapped corridor - I hoped to capture a giant cave spider, but it didn't come. Oh well.

And that's it, it been a pleasure, and now I, Bappr the ghostly overseer, am free.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:44:02 pm by Baprr »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2023, 09:22:35 am »

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2023, 04:18:00 am »

Jeez, don't think I've had four forgotten beasts in a single year before.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2023, 09:18:05 am »

The last suspect was a resident of ours - an elf poet, doing menial labour between parties. He refused to be locked up. We had to kill him too.

ah, what a shame . . .

nice update . and luck or skill, you somehow managed to contain a werebeast infection despite not having exact logs.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2023, 04:26:50 pm »

you somehow managed to contain a werebeast infection despite not having exact logs.
I did have the exact logs, so I scrolled through all of them and found the original werelemur bit only elf poets (without names I had to look for injured ones - I guess I could've read their logs too, but there were just so many), a doctor, and a surgeon. Took me a lot of rl time. He also killed one or two visitors and a dog, but I later killed way more visitors during the purge (good thing I didn't start any wars). I really hope both of those poets were cursed.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2023, 03:19:05 pm »

By the way, a question for anyone who tried the save - do burrows work for you? I couldn't for the life of me make anyone obey burrow restrictions, I think I messed up something in there (I never used burrows much).

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2023, 07:43:42 am »

Not tried the saves yet but I think burrows just restrict where dwarves can take jobs. If they have a job already when you activate a burrow they'll finish the job first, which may be why you get dwarves running around? I think if they don't have any jobs (children etc.) then they can wander around outside it as well.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2023, 11:44:01 am »

there is a new option (or more accessible option) in the burrows menu to prevent dwarves from searching for objects or job materials outside the burrow. by default this option is disabled, thus burrows don't really do much... I suspect they are partially broken too but I actually have had good success for the most part, as long as that option is checked.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2023, 01:13:24 pm »

See, I tried having most of the population trained in weapon- or armorcrafting to influence strange moods (if a dwarf isn't at least dabbling in a crafting skill, their strange mood will default to stonecrafting, so it's important to make your peasants and farmers make at least like one sword). I locked about 70 dwarves in a guild with a burrow, about 20 showed up. I disabled getting materials from outside the burrow and left them for a couple weeks.

Anyway, it worked without burrows eventually, just not as fast as I'd hoped.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:20:00 pm by Baprr »

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2023, 05:25:05 am »

Well, it's been a week and no response from Magnus, so we're skipping them for now and moving on to LeftHandOfGod again.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2023, 11:33:40 am »

Cool, I'll get started on that today.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9