Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Reach for the Skies, a nation game of diplomacy, research, and aliens  (Read 3328 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Reach for the Skies, a nation game of diplomacy, research, and aliens
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2023, 10:09:19 pm »

Bifrost Transit and Computing, LTD
Bifrost T&C will attempt to make use of their new lunar research station to more effectively scan for extraterrestrial signals. In the meantime, they are happy to provide funding to other nations' and corporations' research departments, although such assistance is predicated on a lack of hostilities or the cessation thereof - not a difficult requirement for reasonable people.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 11:35:12 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2023, 02:57:01 am »

Institute of Extraterrestrial Communications

We announce our success with the Pseudo-Gaussian Transform, and offer to decode signals for any entity who requests it.

Now, we look to the next step in Extraterrestrial Discourse. Mathematicians, Cryptographers and Linguists work togethervwith Toshiro to analyse the alien language. We may not be able to translate it immediately, but even this should give a Wealth of information about how the Aliens Communicate, and thus how we should form our first Greeting.

Spoiler: IETC (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2023, 11:15:10 am »

Since some people keep invading me, I should probably work on defenses for my terran holdings.

...To that end, start making rods from god on the moon and place them in earth orbit. That would at least soften up any army which tries to invade. Glory to Ameripol.

Fuck your outer space treaty.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2023, 11:26:56 am »

SRA Announcement
Clearly Ameripol has no concept of diplomacy beyond hitting things with a big stick. There are no carrots here, simply destruction and ruin. What is to stop them from building a lunar cannon and using it to threaten the earth with destruction, the madmen. Now more than ever, we need to unite in solidarity and peace, to expand our knowledge of the cosmos. yet Ameripol would see us into a grim 3rd millennium, a time of war and sufferings across the stars, Earth a broken wreck. No more.

SRA has reached out to it's surrounding states on a weapons defense program, even as it launches a number of strange towers via it's rockets into space.
Since some people keep invading me, I should probably work on defenses for my terran holdings.

...To that end, start making rods from god on the moon and place them in earth orbit. That would at least soften up any army which tries to invade. Glory to Ameripol.

Fuck your outer space treaty.
And so it is proven in the same breath that Ameripol are expansionist brutes who will rain down destruction upon the world.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2023, 03:25:36 pm »

Build a research complex on Iron Bridge to avoid future mishaps like this.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2023, 03:50:04 pm »

tric, piss off. I'm just trying to make some defenses so that I can't get killed instantly. Because you've made it abundantly clear that you don't want Ameripol to exist.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2023, 03:56:48 pm »

You've made it abundantly clear you're destroy anything that tries to build on the moon. The only to options when faced with destruction is to give up and submit, or fire back and resist. By claiming free space without any holdings on it, and seeking to threaten and destroy anything that tries, you've declared your country terrorists.

I won't say it's personal. But we were kinda trying to build the economy via moon exploitation.
Going to Mars runs the issue of leaving a hostile force at our backs and fronts. And our sides, and maybe our bottoms.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 04:01:50 pm by TricMagic »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2023, 04:21:23 pm »

tric, piss off. I'm just trying to make some defenses so that I can't get killed instantly. Because you've made it abundantly clear that you don't want Ameripol to exist.
I dunno what you expected. Even your starting nation description screamed "rogue state that cannot be allowed to continue existing". If you roleplay as a caliphate you're gonna get crusades.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2023, 04:22:48 pm »

I expect to be attacked obviously. Tric is just annoying me with constant comments as if he expects to quip me to death.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2023, 04:25:07 pm »

I expect to be attacked obviously. Tric is just annoying me with constant comments as if he expects to quip me to death.
Okay, that, that's fair.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2023, 06:04:52 pm »

PR for NPC nations, which I hope can have some impact. (If not, SRA is going to end up governing craters. We certainly can't protect the islands.)

And yes, I will Quip. It's part of my nature to Quip people, mostly towards my ill...

stoirtap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2023, 04:57:25 pm »

The Global Monthly - JUN 2206

DOOMSDAY WEAPONS IN EARTH ORBIT!
The world at large watches in stunned silence as the both Ameripol and the Socioeconomic Republic of Australia place so-called "Rods from God" in Orbit. These satellites possess the ability to deliver a payload as large as any conventional explosive to any target on the planet in less than an hour. While the international community has had their attention locked on the moon and the outbreak of violence there, the reality that space age weaponry could be turned on the Earth has even those who don't care about extraterrestrial affairs concerned. A coalition of minor nations stretching from Normandy to Benelux to Hamburg have banded together to condemn these new weapons. Calling their new alliance De Sterrennacht, this group of nations largely incapable of wargames or space travel on their own are pooling their resources to make the skies free of weapons once more. While they are firm in their global neutrality and their strong condemnation of weapons in space, they have opened negotiations with Australia in an attempt to find a diplomatic solution to this new global crisis.

PSEUDOGAUSSIAN TRANSFORM PUT INTO FIRST USE!
Using alien messages that were previously captured as a test set along with their new tool with Toshiro Supercomputer and its Pseudo-Gaussian Transform, the IEC has claimed to have recombined the first pure alien signal. Xeno-linguist and data scientist Ito Akemi noted, "There are some who would try to undercut our success by saying that we still don't know what the aliens are saying and what the purpose of this signal really is - however, access to the pure signal gives us the capacity to compare it to other such signals and find commonalities and even broadcast those signals ourselves to see what response we get. While the process of deriving meaning from these signals is still underway and very important, this triumph puts us a huge step forward to learning what our extraterrestrial visitors' intentions are." From here, the program has branched into three divisions: investigating the pure signal and its meaning, treating it as a language or kind of code and decrypting it, and trying to find similarities between present and future signals.

ALLEGED ALIEN 'HYPER-NET' AROUND ASTEROID BELT THEORIZED!
Bifrost confirmed a leaked report from earlier last week about increased alien signaling in the outer solar system and the asteroid belt. Signe Nielsen, in front of a field of reporters and experts delivered Bifrost's conclusions on the matter, stating, "With our new scanning arrays and when compared to our previous signals, all other possibilities have been ruled out - dozens off new alien stations relaying messages to Earth and each other have been constructed across various points beyond the orbit of Mars, likely to keep in contact with the Earth during all parts of the year." Chief Diplomatic Correspondent of the Holy Roman Republic Government in Exile Lina Kohn responded quickly from the balcony of their Presidential Palace in Anchorage, "Despite Bifork's (sic) claim to certainty, it is impossible to believe that this alien force would have built up such a 'hyper-net' - it is uncharacteristic diplomatically and implausible technologically." Local grandmother Methyl Ethyl Johannson had this to say about societal fears of this new alien construction: "They are going to use the hyper-net to scoop up the planet Earth like a big old fish!" While Bifrost is distancing itself from the 'hyper-net' terminology, it's still anyone's guess what is actually going on in the deep reaches of our solar system, and what the aliens intend to do there.

ASTEROID MINING ROBOT RECOMMUNICATION ESTABLISHED!
After a long troubleshooting process, firmware updates, and precise resynchronization protocols, the Iron Belt program has been able to reconnect with roughly a third of their mining drones. "This is a good sign," says Dan Wilson, prospector in the Iron Platform. "If this project was a total loss, we would have to re-evaluate a lot of what we're doing up here - but this is proof that there's a lot of profit to be made in space… We're going to continue to try to contact the quiet drones, but honestly, it might be better to focus on a newer model or the ones we actually have working than try to squeeze any more water from that stone." He laughed, and our own Science correspondent Lisa Franklin later explained the joke to us. This news rocked the market for fissile materials, as many of the asteroids with functioning communicators contained an abundance of those.

It is now JUL 2206.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2023, 05:39:59 pm »

After having taken a brief respite from the forum, I naturally return fully recharged with spite.
Leave the working drones to do their work and research asteroid redirection and weaponization.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2023, 12:44:13 pm »

All this political intrigue is getting serious. We'll never compete on large scale military but we can form a crack squadron of elite infiltrators for precise and secret missions.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]