Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!  (Read 6611 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

No one asked for it and I've delivered. A fort for those of us with laptops/terrible computers and want to join in on the succession fun is finally here...again. Of course, anyone is allowed to join in on the fun. Just make sure to turn on the pop-cap and remember rule number 1: we're vegans.

Welcome to Greenfingers!

A small fort, nestled amongst the elven forest. We've set out on a simple mission: Can a dwarf out-elf and elf?

Greenfingers is a vegan fortress! Be sure to tell everyone that you're a vegan while we keep the FPS high by having no animals mucking up the works. Of course we might need to kill a bear or two along the way, but we'll at least feel really bad about it when we do.

The Adventure, thus far:
Prologue
Turn 1-1 - delphonso
Turn 1-2 - delphonso

Turn 2-1 - yaimen
Turn 2-2 - yaimen

Turn 3-1 - Salmeuk
Turn 3-2 - Salmeuk

Turn 4-1 - delphonso
Turn 4-2 - delphonso

Turn 5-1 - Baprr
Turn 5-2 - Baprr
Turn 5-3 - Baprr
Turn 5-4 - Baprr

Turn 6-1 - Salmeuk

Oveganeers:
Year 1: delphonso
Year 2: yaimen
Year 3: Salmeuk
Year 4: delphonso
Year 5: Baprr
Year 6: Salmeuk
Year 7: YOU??? (Currently open!)
Year 8: delphonso?

Performance Settings!
  • Go ahead and set the following in your settings:

[POPULATION_CAP:60]
    [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:80]

[VISITOR_CAP:10]
  • You'll notice this is a very small embark. Please use space responsibly.
  • There is an aquifer – be courteous when it comes to large water-works.

Rules!
  • We're vegans. That means no meat, mead, honey, or leathers. No bone crafts/crossbows/bolts. No hair, wool, or silk. Dwarves do things on their own sometimes, so...you know - at least try and if it happens, ah well. Maybe we can have a strange mood exception rule?
  • Please don't intentionally destroy the fort. That's my expertise, anyway.
  • Each turn should be completed in one in-game-year or 2 real-world weeks, whichever happens first.
  • Animals from migrants or pets that arrive with them should be protected and either die of old age, or sent off to the humane society (gifted to the caravan)
  • There are no mods at play. I forgot to edit dwarves to age up at 12, so they're at the vanilla 18. If you want to use DFHack, Dwarf Therapist or make raw edits, discuss it in the thread first and keep a backup save.

The World:

Amethaelathu, The Windy Domain

We've got elves! We've got humans! We've got goblins and a tower! We've even got a dwarven fortress filled with goblins!

First updates incoming! Feel free to sign up already!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:17:25 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfingers - It's Smallhands, but new! (Small fort for bad computers!)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 12:53:06 am »

Greenfingers: Prologue

Aye...T'was a hard life in those days.

There was a levity to it, of course. The dwarves of the Old Ways couldn't sit ten minutes without holding a competition or a show. Industry, labor, hard-work - we were ravenous for it. Even in our relaxation we made ourselves busy. The kitchens of Swamfloor worked endlessly, new brews and pork roasts. Beef pies topped with chicken gravy. Fish, frog, turtle, hopper - all thrown together into a stew. The smells, heavenly and revolting - but both, omnipresent.

That was before, though, kid.

Things are different now.

Our greatest curse, our greatest blessing. All that industry kept pushing us deeper - and one day, they say we went too far. Udul Forkcanyons the Gaunt was what we wrought for all our efforts - our own devastation. The Gaunt, his hunger insatiable, drawn from hell by the miasma of our works: Swamfloor was lost, and the few lucky enough to escape the fiend's onslaught ended up either in the hillocks, too drunk and traumatized to warn anyone, or, a few of us, into the woods.

In those leafy boughs, we healed. We grew. We learned.

I'm a vegan, by the way.

The Old Ways had done us wrong. Iden Floorloves, the king out of the ashes, he lead us to a new path. We learned from the elves and their peace with nature. Their lives of luxury and relaxation. It took some time, but then we had it: The New Ways.

Harm no animal and use no bone.

Live at peace with nature, for us it provides.

Focus on self improvement, rather than industry. Meditate, train and grow.

Was it not an elf who slayed Tusnung the great Dragon? Was it not one of nature's cave-fellow, the elkbird, who slayed Ospong Sullygold, the ceaseless Hydra? Our hubris did us no good, in our ancient fortress.

So, kid, that's the start of it. Now let's talk about the end.

You and six of your buddies are heading out. King Iden wishes to establish a diplomatic mission. Ambassadors, really.

You're to claim a small section of the forests to the north, and build relations with the elves there. Slay no animal and use no animal goods. It's not far from the old necromancer's tower, so keep your eyes open. Our relationship with the elves is good, but we don't know how they'll react to a few dwarves taking residence right next door. Don't step on their toes too much, kid. Remember, you're a guest in their lands.

Good luck, Zas. I reckon you'll need it. I'm sending a few farmers along, who know the New Ways better than most. If you need anything, be sure to turn to them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:32:53 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 12:53:53 am »

Greenfingers: Sprout

Zas' Journal:

Well, we arrived. It didn't take nearly as long as I expected. The woods were welcoming, really, they beckoned us in, you might say.

You might say that, but it'd make the deforestation we wrought on the place seem cruel. Wouldn't want to think about that too much.

Once we stopped, well we cleared the land for our purposes. We're gonna need farm land and plenty of space to build, I reckon. Speaking of, let's take a look at what's left over from our travels.

It occurs to me that the crew with which I have travelled aren't as well versed in the New Ways as I was lead to believe. No nuts? No starches? No legumes? All of you just have fistfuls of berries and are hoping that'll keep us going? The Euphoric take me...

Well, seems I was selected by King Floorloves to be Overseer, so let's start overseeing.

Sarvesh seems to be the wisest of the lot: a doctor by trade. She said she wants to be a fisherdwarf. I pretended to misunderstand her and gave her a pick and pointed straight down. Hopefully she's smart enough to get the point.

Zan is a dwarf's dwarf. Miner and smith. He lead the way while Sarvesh tried to keep up. Wasn't long til he shouted up about muddy boots and soaked clay. Refused to go any further before he had something to drink, too.

Urvad kept muttering things about elves while chopping trees and making beds. I don't really want to know what his deal is. He keeps his head down and his axe sharp, so I'll leave him to it.

Mistem was assigned expedition leader, but promptly walked off with an axe and knocked himself out by felling a tree onto himself. I'm sure we're in good hands.

Myself, Eshtan and Kivish are the security detail for the embassy that we're building. I've heard that all sorts of animals can get up to no good in the forests out here. We'll leave them alone if they leave us alone, you know?

Kivish is itching for us to dig deeper so she can make us some proper gear. Eshtan just seems happy to be around.

So they sent us with two yaks, but...well no one wants them as pets. It'd be cruel to let them go wild into the forest and be eaten by lions. I suppose we'll keep them fat and happy until the caravan arrives and send them back to the hillocks. Perhaps they can find a better home out there.

What do you think, little fella?

Sarvesh and Zan get started on the lodgings underground, leaving a clay layer as a buffer between us and the surface, an aquifer sitting between us and the caverns below.

We gather logs and build a fine wooden floor around the entrance. Walls will come next, but there's more important work to be done for now.

Note to self: Give the bees a wide berth. It's a reflex to swat a bee that stings you. Best not to tempt fate.

Urvad put together some fine beds (some of which have small carvings of elves being crushed by trees...I should talk to him about that) which we set up as a small dormitory. Sarvesh opted out of the experience, preferring to drink herself into unconsciousness than to stoop to /shared living spaces/.

By all eight gods...

I'm going to be sick.

Did no one tell these fools what they were wearing? Dead animal skins!? The fruits of a spider's labor? We must start plant production immediately. We must get rid of all these murder clothes.

WHO MADE THE BAGS OUT OF OWLS?!

All frustrations aside, things are already starting to come together.

With a bit of stout labor, we might be alright in this crazy place.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:19:50 am by delphonso »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 03:48:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 04:14:06 am »

My god what evil have you wrought, such heresy you bring upon our holy lands!

If you're doing dwarfing I'll take which ever one you'll give my.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 08:21:16 am »

Updated! Sorry, I had trouble with my internet yesterday and couldn't upload images. I'll try to finish this out this week - juggling this fort, updating Smallhands, game dev, and a crippling Vampire Survivors addiction.

Yes, Zultan, I'll dorf you next time I play. Any preference?

yaimen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 05:13:42 pm »

Steam version brought me back to the game.  Thought I'd do more community things this time around.  This sounds pretty interesting, can I have a turn?  If you're doing dorfing, I'd appreciate an old dwarf, by name of Minway (I've moved monikers like 5 times since my current one).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 07:43:22 pm »

Steam version brought me back to the game.  Thought I'd do more community things this time around.  This sounds pretty interesting, can I have a turn?  If you're doing dorfing, I'd appreciate an old dwarf, by name of Minway (I've moved monikers like 5 times since my current one).

welcome back!

. . .leaf it up to delphonso to plant this idea in our heads. . . sign me up too while you're at it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 11:05:20 pm »

I just experienced my first crash on the Steam version.

Losing...from Spring all the way through winter.

I'm probably done for today, but have a question - this was something I was struggling with for the last month or two: how do you set a hospital that actually works in the new version? I ran into this on my first save, but managed to just assign a new chief medical dwarf and then there was no issue. This time, I can't get anyone to do any diagnosing, surgeoning, or doctoring, no matter how many dwarves I assign to those positions in the hospital detail.

Any advice appreciated. Hopefully when I replay, there won't be such an issue.

I'll turn on autosaves now...

yaimen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 01:22:18 am »

I saw a discussion about it earlier, here.
 TL;DR is that you need a custom labor for surgery, bone doctoring and diagnostician.  Orderlies only covers patient dragging, wound cleaning, and suturing.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 01:58:55 am »

the hospital requires the leader position to function, in my experience. so one of the starting seven is given the doctor role through the meeting area options menu, while others are given the specific surgeon, bone docter etc role. basically you need a functioning medical team of 2 or 3 dedicated dwarves. Also, I have found death by dehydration a terrible terrible thing in the new version as dwarves no longer prioritize the filling and feeding of patients like they used to.

if you have issues with the hospital, recommend re-making it with beds, tables, chests, and buckets, and re-assigning all the roles. in an emergency you can simply delete your hospital and the dwarves that can walk or crawl will get back to work.

... sorry about the crash. can be demotivating. . were you on the newest version? also don't forget to set autosaves to seasonal (imo).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 02:50:23 am »

Finished up my turn, will write the whole thing up tonight or tomorrow sometime. I've got to go collect the kid from play group. My update will be a bit of a mess, as I'll try to repurpose images taken from the first session to explain what happened post-crash. Mostly the same, but with less deaths and injuries the second time through. Also everything looks a bit nicer this time.

I didn't do the hospital stuff, though I built the place for it. Last time, literally every dwarf was injured, so no one could do any tasks because they were trying to rest themselves (look, it was The Birds the first time through.) I did enable autosave and am up-to-date with 50.05

The fort looks good so far:

Saw a wormman, he looks dapper.

The surface is a mess. Apparently wildlife don't take kindly to you clearing the entire map of trees. We're under siege by the undead already. The save is here, yaimen, if you want to get started already.

Dorfings are finished. Please don't forget the population settings - though the wildlife might take care of that for you. And remember, you're a vegan now.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 04:32:57 am »

This vegan thing seems to be going quite well and wasn't a mistake.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 07:50:10 am »

This

THIS is clearly the Hell that lorsith weeevilmessiah dumped Recon into when she died. Undead sieges, elven dwarves... the whole works

a hell she will soon escape from
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 07:59:15 am »

Greenfingers: Thorns

There's something about the New Ways. I saw a hamster skittering about our food stocks today. Back in the Old Ways, I would have squashed it under my boot, or sent Mittens to snap its neck. But you know, there's something cute about the little guy. You know, I'm starting to think that nature really is beautiful.

*a yak bellows in the distance*

What was that noise?

No. No no no.

Giant iguana attacks? Out here? In the peaceful forest home we're building? I thought we'd be safe out here. I thought this is what the New Ways were about!

YOU!

This is YOUR FAULT.

Everyone! To your positions! Sarvesh, get your needle ready. I don't know how dangerous this thing will be.

What do you mean none of you are carrying axes?! Go get them! Everyone else, downstairs! Wait a minute. Where's Sarvesh?

She's genuinely the worst doctor I've ever seen.

Hey! That's not very vegan!

Very soon, everyone who isn't in the military attacks the giant iguana.

Above, you can see Eshtan, military dwarf, watching three civilians beat an iguana to death. She isn't even holding her weapon.

Alright. At least that should have released some pressure. Surely nature's fury will subside.

Hmm...What's that? On the horizon?

Uhhhh...Everyone grab a log and let's get some fortifications up!

You know I really like that Zan chap. While myself, Kivish and Eshtan were knocking angry birds out of the air to cover the construction, an owl made a b-line for him. It punched him in the gut and he puked all the way back downstairs. It gave all of us a good chuckle. We really needed that.

Okay, Nature. Are you finished?

You're making it real hard to be a vegan, here.

Urvad had been making wooden crafts for the last few months, so we had plenty to trade. But first, we must send the cattle back to the humane society. The yaks are loaded in cages and sent on their way.

Oh for Ramul's sake.

Can I get a break? I tried to explaining to the merchants that the yaks can just be taken out of the cage, and don't need to be carried all the way back. She responded with something about not trusting animals from around here.

No clue why not.

Fikod let me know that another hillock was attacked by the goblins. Grim news. She said it'd be a wise investment to arm ourselves and prepare for battle. At the same time, she requested we produce anvils for next year.

Right as the caravan left, a flock of peach-faced birdmen arrived. With them, they brought disaster.

No...

Urvad carved up two caskets at when he finished declared himself the leader of the settlement. He said something about "teaching those elves a lesson". We all agreed to ignore him and chose Zan as our new leader.

Zan suggested immediately that we expand the corpse stockpile. Something I never expected out of a vegan fortress.

The tombs were established, and, somehow, we all knew that both Mistem and Athel had had their dicks cut off by those birds.

Sarvesh abandoned her post as a doctor, choosing rather to fist-fight birds on the battlements. We chose the first dwarf to volunteer for the job: Shorast.

Shorast was one of the first couple migrants to arrive. A later migrant brought along a bit of a responsibility. Welcome Mafol. You'll live among us as an equal.

Now that the caravan is gone, we're able to lock the gate, and the endless stream of suicidal birds comes to an end. We rest easy, lean back with a nice vegan meal and mug of mushroom wine. With the pressure off us, we take a moment to reflect. Yes, this is still the Way. It may be hard, but Nature is merely testing our mettle. It must prepare us for the goblin threat. Surely when the elves arrive in Spring, we'll all have a laugh about it.

Well. At least it's just a couple zombies.

Someone find me that hamster.

It appears some ospreys had scared half the merchants downstairs. There's huge piles of trade goods that are unclaimed in the Depot. Unfortunately for these two, their companions are outside the gate.

The Fallen Ghoul - an undead elf - makes short work of both.

Wait... What's that?

Nature! Come to our aid! A giant armadillo comes barreling toward the walking corpse!

Well...

Oh yes! Nature! At it again! Elephants this time!

He killed all of them in single strikes...

We're doomed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dorfings!

Spoiler: Zultan and yaimen (click to show/hide)

Important notes:
Mistem is still alive and expedition leader still. There was a single casualty post-crash. A new migrant named Lolor. Mistem is unhappy in general because his family doesn't exist. He'd probably be a good dwarf to replace when we get a few more migrants.

The hospital is furnished, but not declared.

We have a health cloth industry already. The right-most fields have been exposed to sunlight (and is probably fertilized by blood dripping through the roof) so we can grow outdoor crops there. We're growing ramie and kenaf right now, with plenty of seeds. Food is pretty good, from gathering, but we're only growing a few plump helmets (since we had so many veggies, it was rare to make plump helmet wine).

I pierced past the aquifer to build mechanisms, but didn't go any further. When I dig stairs, I usually erase the last one (the up stair), so it's all up-down stairs all the way down. I believe we hit some metals already. We have some logs inside.

I set up a barracks, but didn't set the 3-dwarf squad to train at all. It is fine if del dies in battle.

I set a yak cow back to the humane society. Unfortunately, since the merchants died (and the safe ones will probably go insane and die), the next caravan probably won't have enough excess weight to take the bull. Especially not if we send anvils back too.

The save is here!
Good luck, yaimen. You'll need it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 08:02:14 am by delphonso »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6