Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!  (Read 6824 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfingers - It's Smallhands, but new! (Small fort for bad computers!)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 12:39:30 am »

any takers for the next turn?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2023, 08:37:50 am »

delphonso reporting for duty! I'll be taking the next turn.

Sorry, I was out of town for the past few days and mountains have spotty internet. Updating the main-page, now. If anyone's interested in a turn, go ahead and chime in!

yaimen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 04:58:15 pm »

a giant moth flew right into our chambers and killed one of our pigs. This was not good, at all, and the moth was taken care of after a few enraged tavern-goers kicked it to pieces.

Second, a giant black mamba slithered into our courtyard

Oh no Mafol, poor lil dude.  I remember many fond moments of looking at him and misreading his name as Malfoy.  Also a giant mamba, that's like 5x worse than any of the animals I had to deal w/ on my turn.  Thanks for the update Salmeuk, I agree, the animals really are varied and viscious.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 08:18:36 pm »

yeah, the mamba was what.. day 28? the first five minutes of play? I swear I try to keep my turns from devolving into bloody combat logs and the loss of characters but, alas, the third year of any fortress often brings the pain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2023, 03:24:10 am »

*talk of giant snakes above*

It is terrifying.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

yaimen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 11:18:30 pm »

If only weight wasn't an issue, animals are pretty valuable, but you can only ship off a couple at a time.  Otherwise we'd be able to make a fortune supplying the world's zoos nature preserves.

Edit: omg, I just noticed the title change.  Love it!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2023, 08:23:30 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates - a rather sudden decision took me and my family to my wife's hometown for the Lunar New Year. Just got back in town and tried to downgrade my hard-drive to use this one in a different computer, but updates to the OS have left me struggling in the terminal. Now, my laptop's innards strewn across the desk like a agitated eagle's, I'm finally getting started on Greenfingers.

And it's glorious.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2023, 11:59:05 pm »

please, gives us updates!

between this fortress and Smallhands, I have developed a sincere appreciation for the single or double tile maps.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2023, 08:25:24 am »

A full update will come 'round tomorrow, as I'm about to hit the hay - but I just finished a great session that included a bit of cleaning, finishing up the traps, losing a child to a strange mood, and oh so many birds.

It's running real slow for me already. I'm actually about to upgrade to a full PC (using mostly 10 year old parts...but still, it's an upgrade, okay?) so I might switch to that if the parts arrive fast enough and it gets /that/ slow. Right now it's manageable, but uh...something just occurred that is sure to slow it down. Sort of against the spirit of the tiny map, but if it's unplayable, it's unplayable.

Saint Putnam, save us.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2023, 01:52:23 pm »

probably cavern dwellers. a bit of a blemish on premium's release is the sheer incompetence of invading climbing / flying creatures - they get stuck forever and kill FPS .  :'(

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2023, 09:48:07 pm »

Greenfingers: Timber

Zas' Journal: Commentaries on the New Ways

This place has grown strong and beautiful under the New Ways. Perhaps I was naive. Perhaps I was mistaken. Likely, I believe I was fooled. The New Ways are not one of peace and balance. No, that is for the Elf.

The New Ways are the Challenge. We walk this violent path because it is difficult. It makes us stronger, resilient to nature's onslaught. That is for the Dwarf.

I stand on the parapets, next to dread Yolane. Here is the monument of our craft. A river of blood runs from the entrance out into the forest itself. A hundred of Nature's Minions rot under the sun.

A hundred traps, the Mechanic's Minion, encircle our forest home. A hundred birds already trapped. An army, just in need of training.

I send the dwarves out to lock all the birds up. Then, I let it be known "whoever trains a bird gets to keep it."

The mountainhomes have abandoned us. They see our mountains of animals in need of shelter, and they refuse to send more carts, more wagons. An insult, honestly. Instead, we will turn nature against itself. This legion of fang and talon will be our new defense. Cages full of fury, all attached to levers. Yes, I can see it now.

More cages! More traps!

Is this the path of the New Ways?

Is there any ally in this fight?

No, the dwarf must stand alone. Only we can shoulder these burdens.

And these burdens...

...are heavy.

And they just get heavier.

May the New Ways give me the strength I need.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Spent a lot of time cleaning up and checking out all the new paths and locations of the fort. I've been switching between ASCII and graphical constantly - basically any time I need to do something, it goes to graphical, but when I'm watching the fort, ASCII feels much better (also, slightly faster?). Gonna see if I can get all these animals killed by the undead, but the cage-traps might immediately lock them all up. We'll see!

probably cavern dwellers. a bit of a blemish on premium's release is the sheer incompetence of invading climbing / flying creatures - they get stuck forever and kill FPS .  :'(

Oh good, more things to kill protect.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 04:43:36 am »

The new ways seem to have changed slightly.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2023, 11:26:27 am »

oh my god i forgot how many traps i built. it was kind of a strange mood on my part...

parakeets for DAYS

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2023, 09:30:46 pm »

We now have more birds than dwarves.

(That's called foreshadowing, kids.)

Update is imminent! And then I'll retreat to KSP on my new computer for several days while someone else sorts out all the problems I've caused this fortress. Zas strayed from The New Ways, and paid the price.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2023, 09:56:12 pm »

Sigun's Journal:
Commentaries on Minway's Journal

Minway's Journal:
   Commentaries on Dastot's Journal

Dastot's Journal:
      Commentaries on Zas's Journal

Zas's Journal:

More meat for the grinders. The undead rush the battlements, while the dwarves all move inside.

I had not set up my cage of Nature's Fury. Perhaps... Perhaps I can tempt the invaders away...

Yes. It's working. They rush underground toward the fortress. Oh so undefended.

Then the rest of us can run to the surface - inside the walls. Just arrange a cage full of creatures. Then a lever. Should be fast. Should be simple. Move, everyone!

Well now that Zas is dead, it seems that I, Dastot am the overseer! What a lucky day!

Well, it seems Dastot died immediately after becoming overseer, so it'll be my turn.

Zas had some mad plan about moving animals to fight the undead, but of course, dwarves rushed to the battlements to replace some cage traps. The undead spotted them, and the dwarves...being dwarves...rushed down to get themselves murdered by undead.

Things could be worse, but they could certainly be better.

The biggest issue is the necromancer out there. I'm hoping she'll bring some of the dead ones back as intelligent undead. I've read a story about a small fortress like ours which was populated mostly be undead and captured necromancers. If we can get rid of her, the local animals might stand a chance. Our militia was devastated by that last blunder. 

This lady has been busy, it seems.

Aye, there really is only one thing to do at this point:

Hey, what's that noise?

Sigun, reporting for duty!

No one has seen Minway for a few days, so everyone just assumed she took up a job elsewhere. A round of voting made me, Sigun Weakenarrow, the new overseer.

From the sounds coming from outside, it seems like the undead issue has solved itself. Now we've got an elephant issue. Either way, we're staying inside for a while. I'm the boss now and that's my decision.

And...well there's not really any more people to say otherwise.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Okay, an explanation:

I'm bad at this game.

Now a real explanation:

I actually sent the dwarves out to pull the animal cage downstairs - I wrongfully assumed that they'd be fine as the undead were mostly trapped in the trap corridor. With the cage of animals, we'd have more jobs they could do and maybe we could train the animals up and even start breeding them. When one of the dwarves went up to reload one of the cage traps, it drew the attention of the entire horde, which, firing crossbows, kept making dwarves dodge down outside the walls. This happened very fast and many dwarves died instantly. Eventually 6 or so were locked outside the fort once I got everything "under control". The rescue mission to save those 6 lost us another 3, so we lost half the fort to Zas's poor leadership.

Minway's thing I am certain was a bug. I forbid the final door to prevent the undead from rushing into the fort. At some point it just unforbid itself. This happened right after an autosave, so I am chalking it up to a bug and not my fault. It cost us 3 more dwarves.

The fort is actually okay, overall. I started some refining industry and most dwarves are recovering from their terrible moods, however they'd like more time to socialize.

I'm so sorry to whoever plays next. There's a horde for 6 agitated elephants outside that are going to take some trap work to capture.

Save is HERE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6