Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!  (Read 6836 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2023, 04:12:52 am »

Well damn that didn't go well, also I'd like a new dwarf since I died.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2023, 02:35:14 pm »

This happened very fast and many dwarves died instantly. Eventually 6 or so were locked outside the fort once I got everything "under control". The rescue mission to save those 6 lost us another 3, so we lost half the fort to Zas's poor leadership.

ah, it isn't dwarf fortress without sudden unexpected mass casualties.

elephants? just my style.

I might take another run at this fortress once I play a turn for the world of bones game.

yaimen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2023, 01:24:31 am »

Got sucked into Against the Storm.  Finally took a chance to check back, on Greenfingers.  Ooo boy, what an update. Sad I'm dead, but it was pretty fun to read.  I hope this fort manages to recover.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2023, 08:13:59 pm »

*pokes thread with stick* HEY

sign me up for round 2.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2023, 12:17:56 am »

It's all you Sal. I'm getting back into DF and will probably step away from community forts until I've relearned how to do everything in the game.

The interface tweaks mod really helped learn all the new hotkeys.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2023, 05:01:15 am »

Sup, add me please.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2023, 06:41:16 am »

Happy to do so!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2023, 03:48:21 pm »

It's all you Sal. I'm getting back into DF and will probably step away from community forts until I've relearned how to do everything in the game.

The interface tweaks mod really helped learn all the new hotkeys.

Hmm, I might have to check this out.. good to hear.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2023, 06:06:13 pm »

Sup again. I'm all caught up, and have two questions:
1. Is Salmeuk playing right now? Or is it my turn?
And 2. - I'm definitely planning to use dfhack (not to like kill invaders or something, there are a few commands that make life much easier without cheating - like prioritize) and Dwarf Therapist (it's not as necessary with the new labour system, but still a much easier way to get information on dwarves). They don't actually count as mods, since you can install them after worldgen. That's cool, right?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2023, 06:11:25 pm »

The turn is Salmeuk's, right now. They've got about two weeks to finish but in these small forts, it usually takes much less time. Then it's yours. I'll update the front page today sometime.

DFHack and Dwarf Therapist are fine to use, but yeah, let us know if there's any sort of cheat you'd want to use (for example, Smallhands had an unkillable echidna, which lead to us editing the raws. One of the halloween forts had a creature which kept summoning more of itself every frame to exponential results, DFHack was used to erase them all.)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2023, 06:54:29 pm »

I hope I won't need any of that. It's just the only way to set high priority for a lot of tasks (like building life-saving walls) I know.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2023, 10:39:29 pm »

Yeah go ahead Baprr. I will take next turn. looking forward to updates from this fortress. particularly updates involving massive bird culling events akin to the Four Pests campaign.

One of the halloween forts had a creature which kept summoning more of itself every frame to exponential results

I will never forget this... the effect was honestly quite awesome. hordes of purple spilling onto the map. so much lag

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2023, 07:13:36 am »

It's all you, Baprr - the save's here! If I recall, I left it in quite a state.

I upgraded to a desktop computer, but I still have the good ol' Smallhands laptop. If I take another turn, I think I'll have to use the laptop - just for tradition's sake.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2023, 04:51:04 pm »

Journal of Vucar "Baprr" Hallcalmed

Year 104, 1st Granite
First day of my overseership! Some of us gathered to decide who would take the mantle so to speak - and I was the only volunteer, so now it is my job I guess! Tradition calls for a formal transfer of responsibilities and projects from the previous overseer, but they all died not a month ago - last five I think overseers survived less than a week each - killed by the undead and wildlife. There is Sigun, but she just screamed "finally" and went to organize some stockpile. Yeah, it's been a rough time.

I will never get used to how tiny our fortress is - I guess it's supposed to represent our status as guests in this jungle. Well, we can always just dig deeper.

I never expected an easy life, but I hoped that at least with the New Way we would be more or less safe from animals. Maybe we didn't do New Way hard enough? I have an Idea.

Elves never refuse a proper stone craft, so maybe we should just - stop working with wood? Obviously sometimes wood is the only appropriate material, but we have plenty of beds already - more than enough even haha a

3rd Granite
Back to business. Under my command we will not fell a single tree. For that reason we must conserve every log we have taken from the Jungle so far.

Not the prettiest sight - but sacrifices must be made. I will replace them with bricks, as soon as I possibly can.

5th Granite
Digging deeper seems like a good idea - the first cavern we discovered is full of some primitive humans that seem to... jump to their deaths? For no good reason? I don't see anyone fighting them, yet most of them are gravely injured and the entire cavern is covered in troglodyte blood.

Doesn't matter, I hope we find a better place if we go a little deeper.

8th Granite
Migrants! I almost missed them since we closed all the entrances and didn't really expect anyone to risk their lives going to this little deathtrap-

And one of the first migrants to stumble into our territory fell over less than fifty meters from our gates. And that's even before they met the elephants! I ordered the gates open to let the poor souls in - and they're already fighting

I have to act fast, I have to assemble our military

Well. I won't send some untrained farmers to risk their lives saving - again, untrained farmers. Thankfully while we were looking for a way to help migrants, most of them ran past the herd and into the fortress leaving a single duckling to fight an elephant with a fury of a thousand lions.

He is avenging his master, and the elephant Motthalal - a killer of two dwarves - is seriously beaten up! I think some of the dwarves caused most of those injuries, but the drake certainly deserves his name!

He chases the elephant around like some sort of a scared - oops.

It took one hit. The fight attracted quite some attention - some of the greenfingersites even started betting. We need some better entertainment.

11th Granite
I asked the survivors, and our losses seem to be

We will erect a statue in honor of the drake. If not for his distraction, it could have been worse.

One report seemed out of place, so I investigated further

It seems a visiting bard - recognizable by a rather pricey codex they were carrying - went missing some time ago and the news of their death got mixed in with reports on the migrants. Hey! Maybe a lot of those deaths are old news? Maybe? Please

26th Granite
Our chief medic started wandering about with an empty look on her face - at first I thought she was inspired to create an artifact, but no. She seems to just stumble about, walking into walls like she doesn't understand where she is.

Well, she's been under a lot of stress lately, I guess it was only a matter of time.
I guess I should prepare for the inevitable and at least dig out some tombs for us twelve survivors haha!

2nd Slate
Now that we have some free time, we should keep looking for a better future underground.

And soon enough

7th Slate
So the second layer of caverns is a lot more varied than the first - we didn't find any magma, but there is at least a lake in case we run out of alcohol. There are also some weird little creatures with comically large horns

I think we need a military first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it for today.
If you want anyone dwarfed here's the list

Or a more old-fashioned one

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2023, 01:32:48 am »

Not shown:
- a troglodyte falling and breaking most of their limbs.
- a migrant who decided to start her life in the new fortress by CLEANING THE BLOOD OUTSIDE WHILE METERS AWAY FROM AN ELEPHANT.
- the same migrant cleaning the trap passage. She found a lot of dead bodies, at least one of them nicknamed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6