Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!  (Read 6811 times)

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greenfingers - Animals are fiends, not food - Overseers welcome!
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2023, 10:30:37 am »

I see you've walled in my lovely waterfall... There is still only one bar of soap produced - I suspect some oil was wasted on cooking or something like that. How many anvils did you make?

Doesn't really matter, good job gaining twenty+ citizens and surviving the year.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2023, 02:18:58 pm »

it was by pure chance I did not encounter giant snakes, elephants, or terrible forgotten creations.

oops. I mistook the waterfall for ... a water leak my apologies. Easy enough fix since I did nothing to block the drain. honestly - the presence of a drain at all should have clued me in  ::) i sorely wanted to build a single, central staircase (nothing drives me more insane than a fortress organized around multiple up/down routes, since it becomes a cross-path maze of FPS degeneration) but the maps is so small and the caverns so inconvenient that I gave up.

our magma smelters and the little waystation full of food is a nice touch, but they are deep and distant from the lively upper floors.

greenfingers remains raw in its beauty . bloodied and filled with bones. yet it remains .

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2023, 04:48:40 pm »

I mistook the waterfall for ... a water leak my apologies.

No worries. I think you can just carve fortifications straight in the constructed walls - that should both look better and still provide some mist.

i sorely wanted to build a single, central staircase (nothing drives me more insane than a fortress organized around multiple up/down routes, since it becomes a cross-path maze of FPS degeneration) but the maps is so small and the caverns so inconvenient that I gave up.

Good luck with that lol. I mean, if you constructed some stairs with proper walls around them it's doable, but you'd have to open the fortress to all the horrors of the deep for a while to do that.

It's a cozy little fortress. Let's try and keep the corpses on the outside.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2023, 12:13:59 am »

Well done both of you! The game is now open to any overseers who are interested! I'm far too busy the next two weeks, but will be happy to take a turn if no one claims it by then.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2023, 08:49:51 pm »

Nobody took up the mantle, so i will. Just a quick year to move things along, no megaprojects, nothing like that.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2023, 10:19:18 pm »

Spring
Hi, it's Baprr again. Spring came, and we couldn't find a new overseer, so I decided to step up for one more year. I'm already familiar with the goings on and how to manage it and stuff. This won't take long. Well, a year.
First thing I see on the surface is a ghost. I order some slabs carved.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it would be much safer to let the caravans in if we didn't have to open our entire fortress to them every time. I will build a roof and close the entrance to the fortress except through trapped tunnels. We also won't need the road anymore.

I also restore my waterfall - Salmeuk had the right idea tidiyng up the stairs, but I have a compromise.

That one forgotten beast in the third cavern is still at it. It killed a lot of innocent beasts in the year and a half it's been there. I wish there was a better way to deal with it.

An elven caravan! The safe trade depot isn't ready yet, and there are wild elephants outside... I tried telling them to just turn around for now because we can't trade at the moment but I guess they decided to stay and take a rest after a long journey.

Migrants! 22 dwarves. That... brings back some memories. I opened up the trap tunnel hoping the elephants wouldn't come in. In the end they did follow the migrants, trampled four of our dwarves trying to pick up some trash from the outside, and then walked right into the cage traps, giving us some time to walk outside in relative safety. I decided to train the captive elephants hoping to understand them better.

All that carnage inspires some dark thoughts, and many of us, like myself, tend to dwell on what we can expect after we die. The Profane Doctrines give us a community to process it. We will need a place where we would be able to meditate on death. I chose the overground for obvious reasons. Ordering some golden furniture right now.

Coming to Greenfingers in search of wealth isn't the best plan I've ever heard, but a lot of people come here for that, I guess. The Faith of Diamonds and they too demand a temple - and turns out there is already one! I appoint a priest and install some coffers and golden altars.
A farmers guild heard I give away meeting halls. I gave them some orphaned office.

The elves used their chance to get in, trade, and get out. We can always use some more berries, I guess. I was hoping they would bring a few trained beasts for our protection, but they didn't want to see animals kill each other.

One of our more old-fashioned citizens went crazy screaming they needed to carve bones. There was nothing I could do for them.

Summer
A minotaur came by
she fought and killed an elephant on the way in
and got caught in a trap.
I only we had an arena or someone willing to fight in it.

Human merchants came, and we bought some supplies. They brought A LOT of leather stuff. Disgusting.

Some more elephants walked into the cage traps. They had a huge fight with some monkeys on the way in, and also a few goblin thieves. We are up to ten elephants now.

I was struck with divine inspiration and managed to create what is surely to be a centrepiece for the new temple.

Our mayor is constantly unhappy - that is, more unhappy than is appropriate. She even got into a fight with a few citizens - those mostly avoided her, but she did get beat up quite a bit. Turns out she didn't have any of her needs or demands met despite her position.
I'll use some golden furniture left over from building temples, that will soothe her.

More forgotten beasts - but unlike the previous one, Usan Flymenaces is known for killing some dwarves back in the day. I don't want to just look at it killing troglodytes - they're dumb, but still I want to do something about it.
Some clever digging solves the day! I'm walling it in until we think of what to do with it. This one is a webber, would it be a sin to use it's webs?

Autumn
Another one. And one of the more hopeful crafters too. Such a pity to lose one of my precious metal workers.
A dwarven caravan came by, along with some migrants, but we couldn't trade - the merchants took their time unloading the goods, and had to leave without trading to stay on schedule. I used this time to collect some trash from the outside in hopes that if I do that the dwarves will stop running out as much.
We did get made into a barony - I proposed the mayor, that will cheer her up.

I spent the rest of the season trying to build up our armory - we have barely any steel, and no smiths.

Winter
Ok, this one is a dangerous beast. I don't want to risk trapping it - Usan almost made it into the fortress when I underestimated it's speed. I will need a better plan. Especially seeing it take down a giant cave spider.
Unless it gets into a fight with a crundle and dies. Not my problem anymore.

The elephants had babies! So cute! They're now running around the fortress which is slightly terrifying for all the survivors of the many elephant rampages.

I don't know what that means. Are we now responsible for yet another dwarven settlement? I don't know how to deal with it.

Another fey mood, but at least this one doesn't want any heretical material. It's up to the next overseer now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, four strange moods, three megabeasts, more than thirty new citizens (we're up to 63 dwarves). I set up a burrow for sieges. No sieges, so pretty boring peaceful in the end.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 04:24:53 pm by Baprr »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2023, 12:47:42 am »

Wait, elves are cool about silk. I should have totally made a forgotten beast web farm.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2023, 01:49:15 am »

Migrants! 22 dwarves. That... brings back some memories. I opened up the trap tunnel hoping the elephants wouldn't come in. In the end they did follow the migrants, trampled four of our dwarves trying to pick up some trash from the outside, and then walked right into the cage traps, giving us some time to walk outside in relative safety. I decided to train the captive elephants hoping to understand them better.

just got around to reading this turn. wonderful progress! loving that entrance for the trade depot and also your attempts at pachyderm research. Baby elephants raise our fortress rating by at least 2 stars.

The image of the minotaur fighting a fully grown elephant in a dirty tunnel underneath our walls ... terrfying.

I will pick this us again after my turn at Spartafortress . i wanna see these elephants in action

Vegans, riding elephants, into the looming green jungle, fighting monkeys and minotaurs and strange beasts. It's like the Jungle Book with a LOT more blood

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2023, 02:58:13 am »

Vegans, riding elephants, into the looming green jungle, fighting monkeys and minotaurs and strange beasts. It's like the Jungle Book with a LOT more blood
That makes me think of combining The jungle book with the Vietnam war.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2023, 03:16:44 am »

After a lot of confusion the elephants are our friends, hopefully.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]