Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What Is Man Made For Realistically?  (Read 2218 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Man Made For Realistically?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 04:02:36 pm »

One thing man does seem made to do is do what he's not supposed to do.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 04:23:16 pm »

I can't help but feel this is just another ill-formed question.

What do you mean by "supposed to do?"  If you don't believe in the divine, then the only thing a pattern of mass-energy can do is obey the laws of physics (the real ones, not the ones we write down), and that is exactly what we patterns of mass-energy "do".

There is no room for "supposed" - there is only "is".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 04:47:24 pm »

I've been replying more to this one but I want to stress I still think toady should revoke scoops novel's ability to post threads.

Shoes...

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 08:06:02 pm »

Why was water made to fill the shape of the object that happens to be the path of least resistance towards the direction of gravity's pull? We're not made for anything any more than a riverbed is intelligently architected to hold a river.

It's not, by the way. That's just erosion. Erosion wasn't made for anything.

This is absolutely another ill-formed question and pseudo-philosophical one-liners won't bring anyone any closer to an answer, especially when the answers to questions are more pseudo-philosophical rhetorical questions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 10:02:53 pm »

A fool that can ask more questions than all the wise can answer is still a fool.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 03:03:23 am »

Novel why do you ask questions if you already have an answer in mind?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 04:37:01 am »

All of man will eventually be able to do everything, but realistically, each man will only do a few of those things.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 03:47:07 pm »

My mind is built from an entirely different wood, shape and paint to yours guys. I honestly don't understand why this question doesn't seem natural to you.

If I said man was made to be an mindless ant, you would say, no, he's not made to be such. If I said man was made to do nothing but play, you would again disagree.

You do have a sense of the intended, effective "purpose" of man.

If we're all more alike then unalike, what's the fucking alike bit when you get right down to it?
Reading a thinner book

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 06:20:10 pm »

You remind me a lot of Armok and Neonivek, in that a lot of times the things you say feel so perpendicular to what everyone else is saying that it's like your comments are filtering in from a different dimension.  2+2=orange type shit.

I guess there's always gotta be one of those on the forum.

The characteristics of humans are an emergent property of chemical structures that react with their environment to produce more chemical structures, stretched out over an extremely long term according to statistical processes that are so simple they're almost tautological: a thing that doesn't self-replicate will not self-replicate and a thing that self-replicates more than other things will self-replicate more than other things.

Intrinsically there's nothing else. If you want there to be more, by all means. But the meaning isn't built-in, it's something you work out for yourself, in fear and trembling.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:28:15 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 06:44:38 pm »

Meaning presents itself. That's inherent in the phrase "work out".
Reading a thinner book

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 08:12:38 pm »

Being made to struggle, to use both body and mind, and to reorder things for their benefit which causes chaos for others... those are not attributes of man, but of the larger class of biological organisms collectively known as "living things". Man isn't doing anything new there. We wouldn't have booze to drink and kimchi to eat, if yeast and bacteria didn't look around in their immediate environment and decide to struggle, to use body and mind, and reorder things for their benefit...

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 08:27:05 pm »

We're also kind of badly made biologically speaking. Bad joints, bad posture, weird bone proportions, weak digestion, flawed biochemistry in more than a few ways, the whole skull/pelvis ratio deal.

We're basically held together by duct tape, we have no higher purpose other than to reproduce, or facilitate the reproduction of our kin, same as any other organism. That we can think in what seems to be a more abstract manner than most other animals doesn't really mean anything, it's just an incidental byproduct of our meat tubes becoming better at making more meat tubes.

What is a herring for? It's for making more herring. Ants make more ants, deer more deer, wolves more wolves, so on and so forth. Meat that makes meat, in whatever way it can, and most fail. Humans are no different.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2023, 03:23:28 am »

My mind is built from an entirely different wood, shape and paint to yours guys.
We already knew this.

I honestly don't understand why this question doesn't seem natural to you.
Because the question doesn't make nearly as much since as you think it does.

What is a herring for?
It's what's dinner!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 05:12:19 am »

wow and now I want to rhyme pure ideology with the chorus of Without Me, look at that
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4