Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What Is Man Made For Realistically?  (Read 2060 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Man Made For Realistically?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 05:37:57 pm »

Not one "miserable pile of secrets"?  I am disappointed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2023, 06:57:14 pm »

Well I thought it was best to keep that post secret

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2023, 08:14:01 pm »

Well I thought it was best to keep that post secret

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2023, 11:11:08 pm »

My mind is built from an entirely different wood, shape and paint to yours guys.

I honestly don't understand why this question doesn't seem natural to you.
Because if you actually know anything about biology, it doesn't make any sense as a question.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2023, 11:19:16 pm »

Because if you actually know anything about biology, it doesn't make any sense as a question.

Man has extensively shaped man, for a start. People have encouraged all kinds of things out of humanity beyond the necessities of evolution.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2023, 11:31:39 pm »

We were created to assert dominance over others by t-posing.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2023, 11:59:29 pm »

Man has extensively shaped man, for a start. People have encouraged all kinds of things out of humanity beyond the necessities of evolution.
But unless you want to bring religion into this (and I am wearing my secular hat for the purposes of this conversation), humans are still not "made" for anything except the necessities evolution. That does not mean humans are not allowed (by what?) to do things that are evolutionary neutral or detrimental.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2023, 12:06:01 am »

Simply put we are made cause we propagate our species..Y'know...Through sex.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2023, 02:07:38 am »

We were not made we are a mistake of nature!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2023, 02:34:28 am »

We were not made we are a mistake of nature!
A failed experiment.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2023, 02:25:41 pm »

"Sir, our experiment on Planet 41 is getting out of control. Risk Assessment is saying there it would be highly unstabilizing to our society if they successfully access our galactic internet. They suggest we terminate the project."
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2023, 04:45:22 am »

What is a herring for?
It's what's dinner!

I almost missed this but yes, clearly, herring is for pickling

If we count the time we've existed relative to the beings we evolved from then Man has been more extensivler shaped by the fore-being beings than Man-beings
Love, scriver~

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2023, 04:59:26 am »

I would say it's a little more nuanced. What you are is partly determined by nurture and that part could be said to be "designed" if we interpret the word loosely.
So I think the most sensible answer is that if you want to know what a particular human was designed for, you should ask his parents (and to a lesser degree, friends, teachers, etc).

In the future man may become able to genetically engineer the next generation and at that point, man would be designed in a more literal sense.

Pets are bred in a way so far diverged from natural evolution that you could call them "designed" already.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 05:01:10 am by Quarque »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2023, 07:36:10 am »

People are made to be made. In every sense.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2023, 09:03:53 pm »

I would say it's a little more nuanced. What you are is partly determined by nurture and that part could be said to be "designed" if we interpret the word loosely.
So I think the most sensible answer is that if you want to know what a particular human was designed for, you should ask his parents (and to a lesser degree, friends, teachers, etc).

In the future man may become able to genetically engineer the next generation and at that point, man would be designed in a more literal sense.

Pets are bred in a way so far diverged from natural evolution that you could call them "designed" already.

Going by this, man was "designed" by the vagaries of chance and selective pressures in the environment to:

- survive by using cooperation and communication in large numbers
- Alter the environment so as to suit the needs of the group
- Use our relatively large brain to treat practical problems of survival as things that are solvable, and not just reacted to. Allowing for the development of technology

As opposed to other species which are "designed" to survive by virtue of outbreeding stuff that kills them, being difficult to find/kill, being able to kill almost anything else in their specific environs.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4