Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Research: Scrolls vs. Codices and other Library Information  (Read 50311 times)

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Research: Scrolls vs. Codices and other Library Information
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2017, 08:11:27 am »

Interesting science but I have found another problem with library. I build quite a big one and started producing books. Used 6 scholars including my 2 barons and they made 96 books (I didn't make any copies of the books at all but was planing to start making them at 100 books). I have 26 tables and chairs in the library and fort with 200 dwarfs. The problem is that the library is constantly full (dwarfs actually reading books not just eating or socializing) and because of that my fortress grind to a halt. Food is not being hauled from farm plots to kitchen and die on the plots. Stuff is not being hauled as it used to so fortress is all messed up because of dwarfs spending time reading books. I ran out of booze because the darn brewer spends all his time reading books. I found out this after I placed additional chairs and tables in the library so here is the question I was unable to find the answer to. Do the dwarfs "remember" what they have read and when they read all the books they will stop reading "full time" or do they read just to fill their need and it doesn't matter if there is only one book and they read the same one 100 times if they have the urge. Because if they read to satisfy their need (btw they all have green jobs like Reed Victory of the Markets...) then the library/read job is higher priority than hauling most of the stuff and it's a bug. I have now dismissed 4 out of 6 scholars so I will make less books but I am thinking dismantling chairs and tables. Dwarfs do their job if it's a job set at the workshop or building floors, etc. but when it comes to hauling stuff they go reading the damn books instead. Does anyone know if they will stop reading after they all read those 100 books each or not? and if there is something else I might not know to solve this issue.

EDIT: Forgot to say I am playing 43.03
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:20:20 am by knedl »

Zil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2017, 06:12:25 am »

I'm on 43.03 as well.

From what I've seen, a given dwarf will only read a given book once. This always produces two happy thoughts for the dwarf. One for reading the book and another for "learning" it.

Also, something regarding the types of scholars and what determines it:

In my current game, I had 5 or so scholars all with the default title "scholar." One of them made a breakthrough concerning the reproductive behavior of creatures and immediately wrote a book on the topic. He also became a "naturalist" at this time. After the book was written, every scholar who read it became a naturalist as well, despite none of them being above dabbling in the tracker skill. They also experienced a third happy thought from the reading associated with discovering the topic itself, on top of the two thoughts I mentioned earlier. In fact, I can take any given dwarf who has never been a scholar and has 0 skill in tracker and when I assign him to the library, he's a naturalist right off the bat, presumably because by now they've all read the book. This leads me to think the scholar's type might not depend solely on skill level in the scholarly skills but also a hidden "knowledge" of topics in the field.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »

So apparently untitled letters are a thing.

http://imgur.com/XRr00Ur

I am not sure how to get the image to display.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2017, 12:39:15 am »

So apparently untitled letters are a thing.

http://imgur.com/XRr00Ur

I am not sure how to get the image to display.
To get it to display between img tags, you need the direct link to the image. Go to http://imgur.com/XRr00Ur and right-click on the image and select Copy Image Location, then paste that "http://i.imgur.com/XRr00Ur.jpg" beween img tags to get . Use Quote on this post to see the html.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2023, 01:28:20 am »

Even after all these years, this topic is utterlessly priceless. I shall re-write this one day for steam guide, but none the less, it is utterlessly priceless to find such a deep, well written gem of knowledge. Now I will implement this and try to properly document this.
- Dungeon Lord Sniper
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]