Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark stuff  (Read 506 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark stuff
« on: January 05, 2023, 06:25:43 am »

Couple of quick questions about this embark
(1) Why neither sand desert have any sand layers?
(2) Why some costal ocean tiles look different? just an eye candy or something else

Edit:
(3) also all oceans have aquifers?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:58:00 am by jipehog »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Embark stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 11:45:40 am »

• Sand deserts have sand, the game just doesn't say it.  For context, previous versions did not reveal sand at all, so it is easy to believe the embark helper has a minor bug like this.
  • I believe you mean the beaches (sand or gravel).
  • I believe aquifers depend on drainage and/or rainfall, both of which tend to be high around oceans and lakes.  You might get aquifer-less coasts in the rain-shadow of a mountain.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 02:19:04 pm »

1. I seem to recall previous versions did reveal sand layers, but I might have been spoiled by DFhack, regardless highlighting issues to help polish the game is the point.
2. These looks like a yellow sand desert and can extend pretty deeply inland (7 tiles). Maybe the game should say it is a sandy beach instead of an ocean. Is it an ocean?
3. As far as I can tell all ocean tiles have aquifers, not sure that makes sense but I am not geologist either.

Also I noticed this warning about salt water, I don't have a lot of expirence with this type of embark, should salt water extend so far inland or is it another embark helper issue?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 03:12:12 am »

If the world tile says Ocean and it is adjacent to a land tile, that square of tiles will include some of the adjacent land biome, a beach, and some ocean water. If there is no adjacent land, the Ocean tile will have no beach. If you want to play in the ocean, usually you need to extend past the first ocean tile because there will be too much beach. To see this, create a 6x6 embark about half over land and half over ocean, just to see how it looks.

Those coastal ocean tiles that look different, I'm not sure what they indicate but I am sure they will not effect your embark in any significant way (nothing but beach forts here).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 03:25:52 am »

1. I seem to recall previous versions did reveal sand layers, but I might have been spoiled by DFhack, regardless highlighting issues to help polish the game is the point.
2. These looks like a yellow sand desert and can extend pretty deeply inland (7 tiles). Maybe the game should say it is a sandy beach instead of an ocean. Is it an ocean?

Yes, DFHack comes shipped with a plugin to show sand.  I don't think Toady took the plugin for reference when adding the indicator himself.

Beaches are ocean, in terms of agriculture and wildlife.  Whether that justifies the "ocean" label or should get a separate "beach" label is a matter of debate, I suppose.