Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 50.05 Released  (Read 18150 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 50.05 Released
« on: January 05, 2023, 03:07:29 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Welcome to Putnam, who started this year and prepared this important fix for a nasty save corruption bug.  (and the other fixes as well)

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed saved corruption caused by certain armies bringing uninitialized protocreatures instead of monsters

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Sped up line-of-sight code
   (*) Bees no longer included in food count
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 50.05 Released
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 03:30:53 pm »

Huzzah!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 05:41:38 pm »

Very cool!

I assume this relates to the reports of cavern invasions causing save corruption, and the line-of-sight code relates to what Putnam had found earlier about major FPS-drains on fortresses.

Looks like I might not have to disable cavern invasions in my latest fort after all, and excited to see if it has any FPS benefit for later-game / larger forts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 09:32:04 pm »

Since 50.01 I've not had any announcements like the local bandit camp has joined my fort for economic reasons (they wanna rob us). Have these announcements of economic links been been rehidden in this version?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 10:34:44 am »

I've very glad to see that it was Putnam (or any other longtime contributor) rather than someone unfamiliar with the game! (Also glad to see the cavern mount CTD resolved haha.)

I know you're probably still sorting things out, but is the general intent for him to work mainly on bugfixing, optimizations, and porting utility content into the game while you focus more closely on building out the core systems and content?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 05:45:52 pm »

I don't suppose the line-of-sight fix has anything to do with stealthed creatures being invincible in Adventure Mode?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 06:50:52 pm »

I don't suppose the line-of-sight fix has anything to do with stealthed creatures being invincible in Adventure Mode?

Nope, just a lot of unnecessary checks.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 07:13:53 pm »

Nice to scrap with cavern dwellers without fear of save corruption.

But wait, are the bat people supposed to have access to steel?
Just sent my rookie militia to clear them out and they're facing steel spears and shields. Ah well. Should be OK......

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 10:49:33 am »

is this a long-term stable release, that it'd be worth updating mods for, to start a new long-term game ?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 01:53:52 pm »

is this a long-term stable release, that it'd be worth updating mods for, to start a new long-term game ?
I doubt there are going to be any significant changes that would affect mods in the near future. There will, of course, be more 50.x bugfix releases, and probably not too far in the future, but those typically don't break save or mod compatibility.

Stability is another matter, but now that this is the fifth release of the 50.x series, a number of crashes have been ironed out.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Vagabundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 04:22:50 pm »

Tested in on Ubuntu 22.04 with wine64 and it works great. This was my first time with the 50 version and it was tough. I'd gotten snippets of some of the changes but it was still a shock to my system!

Unfortunately the font and scaling issues mean I can barely read it on my laptop (1366x768 native), but that down to my old eyes as well. I tried the max as far as the scaling would go in the settings. I do miss twbt zoom keys here, but I know the graphic overhaul mean that its not possible anymore. So I won't be able to play it really, as I'm having to relearn a decade worth of muscle memory..

Great to hear its been such a success though. Well earned!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 04:52:02 pm »

Tested in on Ubuntu 22.04 with wine64 and it works great. This was my first time with the 50 version and it was tough. I'd gotten snippets of some of the changes but it was still a shock to my system!

Unfortunately the font and scaling issues mean I can barely read it on my laptop (1366x768 native), but that down to my old eyes as well. I tried the max as far as the scaling would go in the settings. I do miss twbt zoom keys here, but I know the graphic overhaul mean that its not possible anymore. So I won't be able to play it really, as I'm having to relearn a decade worth of muscle memory..

Great to hear its been such a success though. Well earned!
Where did you here zooming was never going to happen? The announcement said:

"There's a lot left to do, but this version is playable and will give you an idea of where things are at. Zooming the interface with the mouse wheel is currently disabled because some of the menus don't react well to being small in width. We'll need to work through those "

Not, "zooming won't happen in classic".

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 11:54:30 am »

Ideally one would be able to scale the UI and the game area independently. I have managed to find a workable compromise with a 9x9 tileset and the grid width reduced to 147, which makes the game big enough to see without breaking the UI. Some text is still cut off in narrow windows though.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 03:20:07 pm »

Toady One: The level of exigent circumstances continues to be high! Hopefully after March or so things will have settled down into more familiar patterns. But February is already known to be unusual, and March is shaping up that way as well. Still, things are getting done - the arena patch will be up pretty soon...

There are several confirmed bugs in 50.05 corrupting save game files. I hope these can be addressed before arena mode or simultaneously with it? Can we expect Adventure mode in 2023?

0012018: Crash to Desktop on loading game during Loading Units phase (50.05):
https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=12018

Possibly related:

0012145: 0012145: Game crashes on save after caravan leaves map:
https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=12145

Megabeast attacks coincident with save corruption is being persistently reported on reddit. "Creature caste outside of creature caste bounds" errors are typical in those crashes. Until version 50.x I never experienced any trouble with save game files in Dwarf Fortress.
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 06:25:40 pm »

Toady just answered in Future of the Fortress not a day ago that nothing has changed in the way he prioritizes updates. Crash bugs and save game corruption being the highest priority as they always have been.

I would be astounded if 50.06 was released with the notes "added arena mode and somehow did absolutely nothing else" as a lot of people seem to think right now.
Pages: [1] 2