Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74]

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 94924 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #1095 on: August 28, 2023, 05:59:58 am »

Is it normal for your weather to resemble the surface of Jupiter

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 28, 2023, 10:25:00 am »

A few times a year, yes.

At least at the moment, it sorta' looks like it'll hit to the east of me, personally, but, well. There's like an entire day and a half to change course, and I'm definitely inside the current advisory area, just... off to the side. Which isn't saying that much considering that's currently like a third of the state or somethin'.

Prediction when I posted last didn't have it hitting major hurricane levels, but hey, that's changed. Surprise! I mean, not actually a surprise, but... still. Likely to hit cat 3, now the question is does it go higher, and if so... second cat 5 of the last decade to hit florida?

Let's hope not :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 29, 2023, 06:34:59 pm »

Bump 'cause Idalia's going to hit land somewhere in the next six or seven hours. If any of y'all are in the way, you still got some time to gtfo, I think. Stay safe, regardless.

Currently, uh. The entire states of Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, and at least Virginia are under marginal to [either moderate or high] (I can't friggin' tell 'cause they're showing as the same color on NOAA's map for some ungodly reason) risk of flash flooding in the next 48 hours. East coast 'bout to get goddamn soaked.

Incidentally, this is the strongest hurricane to hit that particular portion of the Florida coast in recorded meteorological history; we haven't had a cat 3+ one go through the appalach bay since at least the 1800s, probably earlier. In other words, this is a literally historic storm for the state. Here's hoping the damage isn't equally historic :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 30, 2023, 02:38:28 am »

Stay safe
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1099 on: August 30, 2023, 03:49:18 am »

Hunker down and keep minty Frumple. I'm rooting for your victory; survival is win when the wind is so potent

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 30, 2023, 06:49:48 am »

Oh, I'm fine, personally. Worst we've seen/are expected to see here is like 40 mph gusts and a few inches of rain; we've had worse non-supercell thunderstorms this year, basically.

Folks east of me are kinda' fucked, though. Idalia's apparently hit cat 4 and it hasn't quite made landfall yet. Mostly just hoping it doesn't do the full michael and omnifuck the area it hits with cat 5 winds... cat 4's bad enough -- anything over 2 is going to cause substantial damage where it hits worst, anything over 3 is going to be fucking devastating -- but cat 5 is like someone taking an angry drunken lawnmower to your skyline. At least with cat 4 it'll probably only be drunk :-\

Though this rapid intensification thing... I can't remember if it happened more than this, but at minimum this is the second time this has happened to florida in the last five years. At this point, I think you're probably safest just assuming every hurricane going through the gulf is a cat 4-5 and acting accordingly. The lower category hurricanes are relatively harmless outside of flooding/storm surge, but... we can't even somewhat reliably predict storms are going to stay those anymore, apparently :-\

E: Any case, it turns out "behold the sun" was an entirely too apt moniker for a storm. Giant ball of hate destroying everything it touches. That's the sun, a'ight.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 06:55:38 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74]