Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to train the (new) Mason skill?  (Read 1660 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Best way to train the (new) Mason skill?
« on: January 11, 2023, 12:05:07 pm »

Now that Mason has replaced Architect and is no longer used for making stone blocks/furniture, what is the quickest way to powerlevel a Mason for higher quality structures? Do they get the same amount of experience per designed item regardless of how many materials are used? Do they get Mason experience for building the item as well as designing it if it is made of stone?

In previous versions the best way to powerlevel Architecture was to design a bunch of supports and then deconstruct them before they are actually built, this lets the architect return to the same tile and re-design another support for fast xp. I'm just wondering if anything changed in the new version, or if Mason is simply the same skill with a new name.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:35:00 pm by Tamren »
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Best way to train the (new) Mason skill?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 04:15:42 pm »

According to this wiki page on Labor, Masonry does not affect building quality.  Only stonecutting does.  The wiki page on Masonry requests verification on whether or not quality is affected.

The wiki page on Supports is not updated yet, but judging from the previous pages, the old tactic does not work anymore, and a quick test in-game doesn't seem to result in any Mason experience.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 04:23:14 pm »

You can try building a bunch of archery targets or bridges, that does seem to give mason exp.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 05:42:33 pm »

It used to take 17 uses of a skill at 30 xps each to gain a rank in architect, so put an unskilled dwarf in a locked rooms with 34 blocks, then save and test building 17 four-tile bridges (will use 2 blocks). You'll find if you get more than 30xp for multi-item constructions and what skill it trains.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 09:37:40 pm »

All I have managed to figure out so far is that bridges and trade depots created with proficient masonry are "pretty" enough to give nearby dwarves happy thoughts.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 10:24:07 am »

It doesn't look like masonry can be trained by building archery targets or bridges.

I built 190 archery targets out of gabbro blocks, using my starting proficient mason. No levels were gained, and he constructed only two masterpiece archery targets to boot.

Also something like 50 2x2 bridges, with smaller ones to fill the gaps.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 11:11:14 am »

That might be a bug then; you use the skill to build it but gain no experience.

In the future when testing experience gain, start with a dwarf that has no experience at all in the skill, so you can check the dwarf's skill list and when the skill shows up as "Dabbling Mason", then you know that construction/task gives xps.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 12:00:49 pm »

In the future when testing experience gain, start with a dwarf that has no experience at all in the skill, so you can check the dwarf's skill list and when the skill shows up as "Dabbling Mason", then you know that construction/task gives xps.
Dwarves do become dabbling masons with those, so they gain exp. How much exp, though, since 190 archery targets don't even give less than 1000exp?

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 10:09:11 pm »

Dwarves do become dabbling masons with those, so they gain exp. How much exp, though, since 190 archery targets don't even give less than 1000exp?

sounds like it's at most 5 xp

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 02:35:18 am »

sounds like it's at most 5 xp
It's probably even less, since 190 archery targets would then give 950 exp, plus all the bridges before that, and you only need 1000 to go from proficient to talented.

I'm using a guild to train a new mason, it's going much faster.