Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Gridhood Publica  (Read 5699 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gridhood Publica
« on: January 13, 2023, 02:44:41 pm »

An empty world, devoid of gods. What few species that exist lost to time. Even the Master is gone, and only Narration remains, chugging along with nothing to do.

It describes the emptiness of the void, islands lost. Such is Privatus.

But once, before this, there was Publica. A world established by the many, all under the one.

Gridhood Publicas is a game that is mostly run by the players. An attempt to do away with hidden modifiers and see if a world can be made that isn't killed by the crushing wait of numbers. Effectively, everything is public once revealed, from foraging to how much research is needed, as well as research effects. The trick is the players do the rolling of their numbers, and I just collate everything into a single turn.

This does require people don't cheat, but that can be balanced by the fact that cheating will kill this game.

So, time to begin.

Spoiler: God Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Civ Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Copypasta Supernerd (click to show/hide)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood Publica
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 03:05:48 pm »

I am required by ancient law to join any and all Gridhoods, so I'm going to be participating in this one.
Feel free to call me out on failing to continue my own gridhood game so early though. I totally deserve it.

(Also, one thing you can do is use a discord bot or something for random rolls which would permit players to roll stuff without GM action while also making it super hard to cheat)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:15:21 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 03:25:06 pm »

Spoiler: Fyla (click to show/hide)

Create the Fylan Foliage at F6

"Fylan Foliage":
A woodland teeming with mischievous wildlife. While there are berries and roots aplenty within it's verdant overgrowth, you're likely to leave with less than you came in with unless you keep a careful eye on your belongings.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 04:56:01 pm »

Spoiler: Fyla (click to show/hide)

Create the Fylan Foliage at F6

"Fylan Foliage":
A woodland teeming with mischievous wildlife. While there are berries and roots aplenty within it's verdant overgrowth, you're likely to leave with less than you came in with unless you keep a careful eye on your belongings.

What’s the climate like on that tile?  I’m asking because (assuming SuperNerd isn’t going to be continuing Gridhood GPT) I’m considering transplanting (some of) the Sidhe from that game to this one, and I need a place to put them that is forested and either tropical or subtropical.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 05:51:52 pm »

Definitely not tropical, but I'd say it'd be close to subtropical. Foxes, monkeys, raccoons, and crows are everywhere, alongside more esoteric shiny-hunters.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 06:07:02 pm »

Alright, lets see what happens when I put a species description like this!

Civilization Name: Igwam Tribe
Species Name: Igwam
Species Description: Physically the Igwam are a fairly conventional humanoid species that stand about 4 feet tall. Their intellectual capabilities are an order of magnitude greater than the average civilization, which is perhaps their only redeeming feature. The unfortunate Igwam are cowardly, brittle, weak, clumsy, socially awkward, and every day is a struggle for them just to keep moving.

Spoiler: Tip (click to show/hide)
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 07:03:27 pm »

Civilization Name: The Verdant Realm
Species Name: Fae
Species Description: The Fae are a race of Winged humanoids that reach an average height of 10 cm when fully grown.  Their wings are lacy and shaped like those of a butterfly, and their brightly colored hair and eyes come in every color that can be imagined.  They are fully capable of flight (including “hovering” in midair), very mischievous, and and love to play tricks and pranks on others.  They also love to sing, dance, and perform music.  They don’t care much what other’s think of them and will often wear as little as they can get away with given the weather (to the point that males will wear nothing but a loincloth in the hottest parts of the summer, and females will wear nothing but a loincloth and a short skirt during the same time of year).  They do, however, like to adorn themselves shiny trinkets and other “jewelry” and are easily distracted by such items. 

Place the Fae on F6 once it’s created, please.

Edit:  clarified a few things.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 07:40:09 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 07:24:09 pm »

Also, can the OP recommend a free web-based dice roller (I’ve looked at several, but none of them have 3-sided dice…)?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 07:47:44 pm »

I'll be seeing if Glass can get us a channel in the Bay12 Discord. Should have a bot there that can do it.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 08:10:20 pm »

I'll be seeing if Glass can get us a channel in the Bay12 Discord. Should have a bot there that can do it.

Bay12 has a discord?!

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 08:17:42 pm »

Oh, yeah, here: https://discord.gg/Ma9PqTFc

I found it from Superhero Manager.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 04:43:17 am »

Do we need the discord to play this?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2023, 08:21:20 am »

It would help to keep rolls Publica. There is a diceroll channel and one for the game.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2023, 01:27:46 pm »

Turn 1: Of Gods & Men

From the times before did arise Fyla, God of all that lives. At the center of the known did they give rise to a forest of greenery and life, tricky and wit. A place of bounty, but one were it could also be taken by the clever creatures living there. And at it's cnter stood a Knarled Tree, newly born. Beneath it's bough did the Fae come to be. Though theirs is a tale of another time, they would come to be known to the world as the Verdant Commonwealth. Many were the animals that enjoyed tricking them.

Slightly to the southeast, there lay a realm of fog and cloud, unseen by the gods. An island filled with brush, where the Igwam Tribe came to be. In the distance space twisted, a crevice sucking down the endless waves, splitting the horizon in two. Is it a wonder that such minds would be born from this unnatural place, or simply nature's course?

In any case, Publica began not with concourse, but a single few.

Spoiler: Gods (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tribes (click to show/hide)

Informational: Turn 1
Publica is Open. Mu takes the floor.

For posterity are the following recorded.

"Fylan Foliage": A woodland teeming with mischievous wildlife. While there are berries and roots aplenty within it's verdant overgrowth, you're likely to leave with less than you came in with unless you keep a careful eye on your belongings. [F6]
Food is 1d4 per worker. 4th worker is 1d3, 5th 1d2, and 6+ 1d1. Depletion Number is 16 Food. As is rules, repeatedly foraging will lower the amount next turn by 1. This recovers each turn foraging is not done by 1.
Special Feature - "Knarled Treed": A tree planted in the middle of the world, and center of the burgeoning commonwealth. Nothing practically special about it? (Requires specific knowledge to unlock. Estimation: Lategame)
Warning: Tribes here Roll 1d6 each turn. This will alter stockpiles. *Small amounts of food or basic supplies may be stolen.* This can be rolled before you make your turn, and your plans changed to compensate. Fyla's fickleness godhood.

"Empty Isle": The result of casualty, this place is not yet free of the void. Always cloudy, the winds foster a healthy amount of underbrush and roots, but not much in the way of life beyond smaller things crawling in the dirt. In the western distance lies a crevice which water flows endlessly down into, splitting the horizon
Food is 1d3 per worker. 4th worker is 1d2, 5+ 1d1. Depletion Number is 12 food. As is rules, repeatedly foraging will lower the amount next turn by 1. This recovers each turn foraging is not done by 1.
Special Feature: None.
Warning: Cannot be restored via gods.

Depletion: This occurs when a tile has too much taken from it. In that case, the -1 modifier for the next turn is applied to all workers. Like normal, this can be solved by not foraging the tile for a turn. Foraging anyway will have another normal -1 stacked on top of that, requiring more turns before it heals. (Reaching 0 will have long-term effects.)
Gods naturally have the ability to restore a tile for 3 DP, fixing any depletion issues. See rules on the specific restrictions.

Fae Trait: Small Minds
Fae have a severe malus to direct combat, and are rather flighty. They technically have bonuses they can make use of, but those have yet to be invented, or are hampered.

Igwam Trait: Introvert
Igwam's have an unfortunate tendency to spend time by themselves. They are however skilled researchers if they are left alone. Can spend 1 food to advance a research project by 1, once per turn. They will often shy away from combat however, which can have consequences. Those consequences haven't been made yet though, so they're fine!

Further Trait effects may make themselves apparent in the future.

So ends the Publica information. Gods received 1 FP for existing. (This text will not be repeated, will be in background.)
Please keep your updated  information in your posts for ease of correlation. (If everyone keeps up with their FP, food, and workers and such, will ease updates. Make numbers go up.) Seriously though, Mu took the floor, it's all void ocean now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7