Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Gridhood Publica  (Read 5816 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood Publica
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 04:53:14 pm »

The Igwam Tribe

The Igwam Tribe comes to a decision on what needs to be be done. They consider the following:
- It is known that tiles in this world are weak and floppy compared to other worlds. Foraging multiple turns in a row will never result in more food in the long term.
- It is not known what a "Depletion Number" is, as it has not been described in the rules anywhere. Their best estimate is this is the maximum food yield in a turn, but its impossible to say for sure.
- The expected food yield that would be obtained if every single worker foraged the tile is between 5 and 12.
- Over the course of two turns, the average amount of food that would be collected is 8.5. This means that even with the most efficient foraging pattern possible, it would not be possible to survive indefinitely.
- It is decided that the most likely method of survival would be to harvest as much as possible on odd-numbered turns, and focus on researching better food collection methods on even numbered turns, in the hope that a breakthrough can be made before they all starve.
- Spending food to expedite research is not yet viable as all food is needed for survival purposes.

Igwam Civilian 1 forages at H9 to collect: 2 food.
Igwam Civilian 2 forages at H9 to collect: 2 food.
Igwam Civilian 3 forages at H9 to collect: 3 food.
Igwam Civilian 4 forages at H9 to collect: 1 food.
Igwam Civilian 5 forages at H9 to collect: 1 food.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:48:38 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 05:17:59 pm »

Depletion is something I use when a Tile has been foraged to scarcity. The Number stated is how much is needed to trigger it. (In place of the normal malus.) It is unlikely to reach that number normally. At least without any research.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 08:34:18 pm »

I’ve posted my current understanding to the Discord channel.  Waiting for TricMagic to reply and tell me whether I’ve got anything wrong before starting my turn…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 08:47:22 pm »

Spoiler: Fyla (click to show/hide)

Create the Flower Fylde at F7.

"Flower Fylde":
A field filled to the brim with flowers, both benign and malicious. The heat is stifling, and the air is choked with pollen from thousands of different plants, and wandering into a cloud could have a variety of different effects. The only creatures that call this place home is a truly staggering variety of insects, primarily various types of bees, who tend to the flowers and the fruits they may produce.

"I'm so glad I don't have to do math."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 11:17:16 pm »

Currently waiting for TricMagic to reply to my 1d6 on Discord.  Will post my turn after they reply.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2023, 04:16:36 am »

It would help to keep rolls Publica. There is a diceroll channel and one for the game.
Well dang I guess I'll just watch this one then.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • More speed than sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2023, 09:01:09 am »

It would help to keep rolls Publica. There is a diceroll channel and one for the game.
Well dang I guess I'll just watch this one then.
Same here.
Kinda funny though, that a game called "Gridhood Publica" would be so exclusionary lol.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2023, 09:18:20 am »

We can always use more Gods. They don't need rolling.

Alternatively, you can use random.org for all your rolling needs. Discord is just a simple and solid solution to things. Random.org is a lot of rolling for GMs.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2023, 11:11:08 am »

The Verdant Commonwealth

The Fae of the Verdant Commonwealth awaken and, as they do so, they look up to see a gnarled tree.  They then look around in fascination at the verdant foliage around them.  After talking amongst themselves, they agree that all of this must have been created by Fyla, and that the gnarled tree must be sacred to her.  They also agree that their home must be called the Fylan Foliage.

Three of the Fae set about foraging within the Foliage.  In between playing tricks on each other, they manage to bring back a total of 6 food.

While the first three Fae are off gathering food, one of the other Fae begins to ponder how they might improve upon the labors of the first three.

Finally, the final Fae stands beneath the Gnarled Tree and, lifting her voice towards the heavens, sings the praises of Fyla and asks for her assistance and protection.

3 Fae forage in the Fylan Foliage [F6], gathering a total of 6 food.
1 Fae researches foraging improvements [F6], advancing research by 1 research point.
1 Fae prays to Fyla [F6], providing Fyla with 1 faith point.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@TricMagic:

How’s that?  Did I get anything wrong?  Did I forget anything.  Also, that was a lot of work.  I don’t understand how Gridhood GMs can do all that for all of their players!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:07:10 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2023, 11:42:56 am »

2 Fae research foraging improvements [F6], advancing research by 1 research point.

This bit is off, yeah. You only have 5 workers. (Though the gains are right.)

Spoiler: Analyzing (click to show/hide)

@TricMagic:

How’s that?  Did I get anything wrong?  Did I forget anything.  Also, that was a lot of work.  I don’t understand how Gridhood GMs can do all that for all of their players!

Even at it's most basic it can get out of control when you got 10 civs running around. Will try smoothing things next update.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2023, 12:11:15 pm »

2 Fae research foraging improvements [F6], advancing research by 1 research point.

This bit is off, yeah. You only have 5 workers. (Though the gains are right.)

Spoiler: Analyzing (click to show/hide)

@TricMagic:

Even at it's most basic it can get out of control when you got 10 civs running around. Will try smoothing things next update.

Thanks for the input!  I’ve made a few changes.  How do they look (I’ll be moving rolls to the Discord beginning next turn)?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2023, 09:05:25 am »

I am pretty sure that all three players have put their action in now.

Edit: Just going to post this here.

Code: [Select]
[b]Turn 2: Not the canonical update[/b]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/mthahvc.png[/img]

You would think that my time would be better spent updating the gridhood game that I actually created. To that I answer: Shut up you! Some kind of story fluff would probably go in this space, but it would not likely have any real impact on what happened.

Also fun fact: There's apparently some hidden god called "Mu". Wouldn't have discovered that if I wasn't faffing about with this nonsense.

[spoiler=Gods][color=transparent]Mu: God of Events, Narration, and Endings. FP: ?[/color]
[color=green]Fyla: God of Forests, Floara, and Fauna. FP: 7[/color]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tribes]
[color=limegreen]Verdant Commonwealth.[/color] 11 Food. 5 Workers. Special Trait: Small Minds. Foraging Improvements Progress: 1/?
[color=darkgoldenrod]Igwam Tribe[/color] 14 Food. 5 Workers. Special Trait: Introvert
[/spoiler]

[hr]

[b]Informational: Turn 2[/b]

[u]For posterity are the following recorded.[/u]

"Fylan Foliage": [b][color=red]CURRENTLY DEPLETED BY 1. DO NOT FORAGE THIS TURN[/color][/b][i] A woodland teeming with mischievous wildlife. While there are berries and roots aplenty within it's verdant overgrowth, you're likely to leave with less than you came in with unless you keep a careful eye on your belongings.[/i] [F6]
Food is 1d4 per worker. 4th worker is 1d3, 5th 1d2, and 6+ 1d1. Depletion Number is 16 Food. [i]As is rules, repeatedly foraging will lower the amount next turn by 1. This recovers each turn foraging is not done by 1.[/i]
Special Feature - "Knarled Treed": A tree planted in the middle of the world, and center of the burgeoning commonwealth. Nothing practically special about it? (Requires specific knowledge to unlock. Estimation: Lategame)
Warning: Tribes here Roll 1d6 each turn. This will alter stockpiles. *Small amounts of food or basic supplies may be stolen.* This can be rolled [i]before[/i] you make your turn, and your plans changed to compensate. [i]Fyla's fickleness godhood.[/i]

"Flower Fylde": Here's a fun fact for you. If I knew what this tile did and recorded it here, this update would probably be 100% accurate! Pretty neat huh?

"Empty Isle": [b][color=red]CURRENTLY DEPLETED BY 1. DO NOT FORAGE THIS TURN[/color][/b] The result of casualty, this place is not yet free of the void. Always cloudy, the winds foster a healthy amount of underbrush and roots, but not much in the way of life beyond smaller things crawling in the dirt. In the western distance lies a crevice which water flows endlessly down into, splitting the horizon
Food is 1d3 per worker. 4th worker is 1d2, 5+ 1d1. Depletion Number is 12 food. [i]As is rules, repeatedly foraging will lower the amount next turn by 1. This recovers each turn foraging is not done by 1.[/i]
Special Feature: None.
Warning: Cannot be restored via gods.

Depletion: This occurs when a tile has too much taken from it. In that case, the -1 modifier for the next turn is applied to [i]all workers[/i]. Like normal, this can be solved by not foraging the tile for a turn. [i]Foraging anyway will have another normal -1 stacked on top of that, requiring more turns before it heals. [b](Reaching 0 will have long-term effects.)[/b][/i]
Gods naturally have the ability to restore a tile for 3 DP, fixing any depletion issues. See rules on the specific restrictions.

Fae Trait: Small Minds
Fae have a severe malus to direct combat, and are rather flighty. They technically have bonuses they can make use of, but those have yet to be invented, or are hampered.

Igwam Trait: Introvert
Igwam's have an unfortunate tendency to spend time by themselves. They are however skilled researchers if they are left alone. Can spend 1 food to advance a research project by 1, once per turn. They will often shy away from combat however, which can have [i]consequences.[/i] Those consequences haven't been made yet though, so they're fine!

Further Trait effects may make themselves apparent in the future.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:38:27 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2023, 12:04:27 pm »

Turn 2: The Canonized and the Pollinated

So did the Igwam Tribe/color]put to note the varied stories, cast on the wind. And through this did they discover Mu watching them.

Fyla put to work her power, to create an area teaming with life, beyond the ability of anything to survive unharmed. The bees stumble, the pollen mixes and occasionally explodes, and many many insects cower under the forestry of endless flowers. An endless war is fought for survival among the tiny.

The Igwam , other than the above, spend most of their time digging underneath the shrubby to collect roots and worms, securing their future with 9 food. While the Fae took a different approach. 3 collect themselves 6 food, collecting berries and the surface roots. 1 offers prayers to the creator of the forest, Fyla. And the last observes their fellow Fae and the animals around, trying to determine a better way of collecting food. A small amount of progress is made in this.

Foraging Improvements: 1/5 -When foraging, roll 1d3. Gain that much food.

Spoiler: Gods (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tribes (click to show/hide)

Informational: Turn 2

For posterity are the following recorded.

"Fylan Foliage": [Foraged, -1 Food will be gathered here this turn] A woodland teeming with mischievous wildlife. While there are berries and roots aplenty within it's verdant overgrowth, you're likely to leave with less than you came in with unless you keep a careful eye on your belongings.[/i] [F6]
Food is 1d4 per worker. 4th worker is 1d3, 5th 1d2, and 6+ 1d1. Depletion Number is 16 Food.
Special Feature - "Knarled Treed": A tree planted in the middle of the world, and center of the burgeoning commonwealth. Nothing practically special about it? (Requires specific knowledge to unlock. Estimation: Lategame)
Warning: Tribes here Roll 1d6 each turn. This will alter stockpiles. *Small amounts of food or basic supplies may be stolen.* This can be rolled before you make your turn, and your plans changed to compensate. Fyla's fickleness godhood. [Note, just post the roll number alongside your actions that turn. It will be process during the turn update.]

"Flower Fylde": A field filled to the brim with flowers, both benign and malicious. The heat is stifling, and the air is choked with pollen from thousands of different plants, and wandering into a cloud could have a variety of different effects. The only creatures that call this place home is a truly staggering variety of insects, primarily various types of bees, who tend to the flowers and the fruits they may produce.
Food is 1d2 per worker. 4th worker onward is 1d1. Depletion Number is not applicable.
Warning: Must roll a 1d2 to act in this tile. On a 1, a random worker is injured, and will not be able to act the next turn. Sending 4 or more workers results in another 1d2 dice roll. (Improving combat ability or researching countermeasures can reduce dangers)

"Empty Isle": [Depleted, all workers foraging food suffer -1 malus, to a minimum of 0] The result of casualty, this place is not yet free of the void. Always cloudy, the winds foster a healthy amount of underbrush and roots, but not much in the way of life beyond smaller things crawling in the dirt. In the western distance lies a crevice which water flows endlessly down into, splitting the horizon
Food is 1d3 per worker. 4th worker is 1d2, 5+ 1d1. Depletion Number is 12 food.
Warning: Cannot be restored via gods.

Overforaging: Each turn a tile is gathered from, the next turn 1 less will be gathered. If Depletion occurs, this will not trigger that turn. This can be solved by not gathering from that tile for a turn. (Repeated Stacks add up, and take longer to recover. The latest is always the first restored.)

Depletion: This occurs when a tile has too much taken from it. In that case, the -1 modifier for the next turn is applied to all workers. Like normal, this can be solved by not foraging the tile for a turn. Foraging anyway will have another normal -1 stacked on top of that, requiring more turns before it heals. (Reaching 0 will have long-term effects.)
Gods naturally have the ability to restore a tile for 3 DP, fixing any depletion issues. See rules on the specific restrictions.

Fae Trait: Small Minds
Fae have a severe malus to direct combat, and are rather flighty. They technically have bonuses they can make use of, but those have yet to be invented, or are hampered.

Igwam Trait: Introvert
Igwam's have an unfortunate tendency to spend time by themselves. They are however skilled researchers if they are left alone. Can spend 1 food to advance a research project by 1, once per turn. They will often shy away from combat however, which can have consequences. Those consequences haven't been made yet though, so they're fine!

Further Trait effects may make themselves apparent in the future.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2023, 03:58:51 pm »

The Verdant Commonwealth

The Fae gaze in fear and wonder at the Flower Fyldes that has just been created next door to them.  They consider foraging there and, after much discussion (including someone pointing out that they should give the Foliage a rest), they decide to do so (mustering all of their members as the Fyldes look not as bountiful as the Foliage).  Though the Fyldes present much danger, the Fae return unharmed with 8 food.  However, when they return home, they are perplexed to find that there is 1 more food present in their stockpile than was there when they left…

5 Fae forage in the Flower Fyldes [F7], gathering a total of 8 food.
0 Fae are injured in the Flower Fyldes [F7].
1 food is mysteriously added to their stockpile in the Fylian Foliage [F6].

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:

Fixed # of foraging Fae…

Edit2:

Fixed traits for [F7]…
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:28:38 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2023, 05:28:20 pm »

The Igwam Tribe

The Igwam have always had known at least on some level of the existence of the Verdant Commonwealth; something to do with the nature of the world of Publica makes their existence quite clear in spite of the fact that they are too far away to have any actual interactions with. The Igwam mostly disregarded them, but took note of something interesting. The Verdant Commonwealth had revealed the existence of a technology that would be of use to the Igwam Tribe.

Of course, knowing about it is a far stretch from being able to use it, and it is not known exactly how it even works. Would it replace the ordinary roll with a 1d3? Would it add 1d3 to all civilians foraging or would it only add add a flat 1d3 for the efforts of all of their work combined for the turn? Much was unclear, but even the most uncharitable interpretation of the Foraging Improvements technology would be an improvement over what the Igwam Tribe already had going on for them.

The Igwam Tribe wasted no time in attempting to unlock these secrets for themselves!

Igwam Civilian 1 researches "Foraging Improvements" for 1 Progress
Igwam Civilian 2 researches "Foraging Improvements" for 1 Progress
Igwam Civilian 3 researches "Foraging Improvements" for 1 Progress
Igwam Civilian 4 researches "Foraging Improvements" for 1 Progress
Igwam Civilian 5 researches "Foraging Improvements" for 1 Progress

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7