Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maximum height for fully grown mushroom trees?  (Read 1179 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Maximum height for fully grown mushroom trees?
« on: January 13, 2023, 11:51:26 pm »

I'm trying to plan out a very long term tree farm and I'm wondering how tall a cavern I need to accommodate mushrooms at their maximum size. In the RAW files it says that tower caps can grow to a maximum trunk height of 5 levels and have a trunk width of three tiles, the same thickness as ginko and highwood trees. However if I look in the caverns every single tower cap I can see is six levels tall, and only one of those levels is made of trunk.

So does anyone know what the actual maximum height is for tower caps and other mushrooms? My current fort is only four years old, so if you have a fort significantly older than that you may have bigger mushrooms in your caverns than the ones I can see.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum height for fully grown mushroom trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 02:32:49 am »

Just a guess but 5 z levels in the raws might mean 6 in total, counting begins often at 0. (0-5 => 6 levels) also if they are that high that means their trunk is that high, how it is graphically represented won't decide if it is the trunk or not, anything above the point of growth is trunk, and the rest is branches /leaves.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 02:21:30 pm »

Don't look at mushroom with caps. See this bug:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7313

Such trees will always have one tile trunk, as for now. The caps are useless, for decoration only. The highest underground trees are fungiwood and spore tree, both of which reach 8 z-levels according to raws. However, in my cave, I have fungiwood 10 z-levels high, so apparently the height is regulated differently.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 12:06:27 am »

How do I make them grow though.
In my fort I dug out 1 z-level filled at least half of it with mud, but the best I can get after a couple of years is small mushrooms.
I have discovered caves already.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 06:49:10 am »

Pretty sure that was fixed in v50? I'm definitely getting multiple logs per tree.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 12:56:16 pm »

Pretty sure that was fixed in v50? I'm definitely getting multiple logs per tree.

This one was fixed probabbly (*), though I still get small amount from nether-caps (one or two logs), and the only other caps I tried were tower-caps. What I had tried to point out was though the [TREE_HAS_MUSHROOM_CAP] tag (from whose description took the link to the bug), which causes tree to use different mechanics of growth than designated height, i.e. it won't be as big as the trunk height in RAWs indicates. But it doesn't seem to correlate with yield anyway, now.

*)I'm not sure if it wasn't "overfixed", getting 55 logs from a single tower-cap is a bit excessive, normal tree above or underground of the same volume would yield 8-9 logs. It seems that now every tile of the tower-cap yields a log, which in case of  overworld trees would yield logs from branches and twigs... Still, it doesn't seem to work on nether-caps, and haven't tried on other caps.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 10:17:31 am »

The highest underground trees are fungiwood and spore tree, both of which reach 8 z-levels according to raws. However, in my cave, I have fungiwood 10 z-levels high, so apparently the height is regulated differently.

The maximum height that can be defined in raws is 8, but "about two z-levels" is added to that according to the Wiki.

So, 10 z-levels would be the max height of a tree that has [MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:8].

Vanilla DF mushroom trees:
Tower-cap - max height 5 + 2 = 7
Black-cap - max height 3 + 2 = 5
Nether-cap - max height 4 + 2 = 6
Goblin-cap - max height 1 + 2 = 3
Fungiwood - max height 8 + 2 = 10
Tunnel tube - max height 8 + 2 = 10
Spore tree - max height 5 + 2 = 7
Blood thorn - max height 5 + 2 = 7