Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Monotheism vs polytheism  (Read 2610 times)

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monotheism vs polytheism
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2023, 07:21:36 pm »

Thank you for your reply, Jipehog.
I must confess that myself I'm a fan of the various hypotheses of the evolution of belief systems and regrettably its main vocabulary has become synonymous with funny images. Mythological figures in the game can be safely divided into two categories: those who have a felt effect on the world (e.g. demons, etc.) and those who don't. Unless you play a modded game, exclusively gods of life and death will have an effect and this is limited to the existence of necromancers. However this question of development is closely linked to my interest in an AI implementation for family relations and creation myths. Most mythologies are comprised of myths and the many myths need to have a common mytheme to make sense for believers. I hope to one day see family trees, and from game to game different stories about how the worlds and its landmarks came to be, but that's not what I started this thread for.
Unless you're really lucky, or unlucky, you won't meet most of the historical personalities listed in legends mode, and I guess this meta knowledge wouldn't hurt to have a little variety: only one god/dess, one god/dess with many little ones, many different gods and goddesses with or without a point of creation. Did you know some religious peoples don't believe that the world and by extension the universe had a single definite starting point? Maybe the world gen can handle that, too. I digress.
To be honest, I was a little too preoccupied with the question how to calculate eclipses without the need of complicated celestial mechanics in the code or raws. In another thread started by Orange-of-Cthulhu he summarized my points so much better than I did under the influence of slight sleep deprivation. Soon as I started a thread of faith(s), two more popped up.

Edit: typo.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:47:28 pm by Resmisal »
Pages: 1 2 [3]