Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Guild of 2 for bootstrapping skill to Legendary and other guild shenanigans  (Read 4803 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On reddit I recently posted about my experiment where I got a Dwarf up to novice Engraving, and locked the novice engraver and a no engraver in an Engraver Guild Hall together. About a year later they were both legendary engravers simply from giving and attending demonstrations.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/107tobt/in_a_new_fortress_i_locked_two_dwarves_in_an/

The actual setup looked like this:

Though I feel it's excessively indulgent.

I then repeated the trick with two dwarves who I turned into legendary armorsmiths via an Armorsmith Guild Hall, in parallel I trained up a third dwarf to a Legendary armorsmith by making armor, and yeah, he trained up a good deal faster than the Guild of 2.

Then I took one of the legendary engravers, trained him up to novice planter, and paired him up with the spare legendary armorsmith (the one without a useful material preference) in a Planter Guild Hall to see if having high teacher/student would make a casually noticeable difference, they still got legendary Planter pretty fast, about a year, but if it was faster it wasn't casually noticeable.

I also then went to the effort to measure the precise time taken, in a new game I locked a novice engraver and a non-engraver in a Guild Hall together, I locked them in on 20th Obsidian, 126 and the first of them achieved Legendary on 3rd Slate, 128. By my calculations that is 13 and a half months, a slightly long year. I suspect the rate of experience gain is quite consistent since dwarves seem to constantly demonstrate, this is unlike military skill gain where dwarves randomly choose to do tasks that give little or much experience making the pace of skill gain over a year very erratic.

One may note the absurdity of taking a novice and a no-skill, locking them together in a room with almost no experience and no materials with which to improve their skills, and having them emerge legendary just from talking to each other, but apparently in Dwarf Fortress, "theorycrafting" is actually highly effective.

I have applied a small amount of thought to what to name this exploit, and "guild theorycrafting" is one option, another would be "guild bootstrapping", the important aspect here is the bootstrapping aspect, in that it's not a highly skilled dwarf uplifting others to their own skill level, but a pair of dwarves lifting their skill level without external assistance.

My working theory

From my casual observations of Guilds, it seems that having a high skilled instructor rapidly increases the experience of those attending the demonstrations, start with a Legendary Miner and a Miners Guild, and you'll quickly have dozens of Lengendary Miners.

The important question here, is how does starting with a Novice work? Where is the experience coming from?

My hypothesis is that when a Dwarf gives a demonstration, they also gain some experience. If this hypothesis is true, then a Guild of 2 would give the fastest "bootstrapping" experience gain, as each dwarf is giving demonstrations approximately 50% of the time, while if there were 10 dwarves, they'd only be giving demonstrations 10% of the time.

However alternatively, it might be that attending demonstrations awards some experience even if the instructor is not more highly experienced. In this case, "bootstrapping" would be faster with more dwarves.

Or it might be experience gains are about the same for giving and attending demonstrations, making it largely independent of the number of participants.

The experience gains from demonstrations could probably be easily determined with a third party utility which shows precise experience values, though I don't have them set up for the Steam version yet.

Practical utility

Going from novice to legendary in about a year is reasonably fast, though given unlimited materials many skills can be trained faster.

But some skills are just plain slow to train or may have irritating "resource" requirements. For example to get to Legendary+0 for engraving would require engraving about 1800 tiles, while to get Planter to legendary requires planting about 500 seeds, both skills are very likely going to be trained up much faster using Guild theorycrafting.

Most skills require about 500 actions to reach legendary which involves a lot of materials and making a lot of "trash". In the case of the metalsmithing professions this can be melted back down at magma smelters, often for free or even profit, but for many professions it's either clutter or just has to be given to traders to take it away. Theorycrafting requires no resources and generates no trash.

On the lack of cruel and unusual methods.

I know it seems remarkably humane to lock up two dwarves together with some booze and food and they just rub their heads together and become awesomely skilled while enjoying each other's company. Where are the hordes of peahens or dogs to nip at them and motivate them? Upright spikes? Goblins stripped naked and forced to fight? How can motivating them to learn be so simple?

Unfortunately locking two dwarves in a Guild Hall does really seem to be just this simple and effective, though I'm sure throwing in several dozen animals couldn't hurt.

On Children

It is in fact possible for children to attend demonstrations and thus learn. So it was only natural to try locking a child in for mandatory demonstrations.

The results were somewhat surprising, children do attend demonstrations, but not only that, they can even lead demonstrations!

However from limited testing it seems children aren't nearly as motivated as adults are to attend demonstrations, preferring to instead socialize or even play (though they seem to play less when locked in a guild hall than they would if given free reign), thus the combination of adult:child would result in slower leveling than adult:adult, as two adults constantly do demonstrations as long as they aren't drinking, eating or sleeping.

Another option which works well is two adults and a child, the adults constantly demonstrate and the child occasionally joins in, the child doesn't fall behind because a less skilled dwarf gets way more experience from attending demonstrations, in fact they sometimes give demonstrations.

One could also consider locking up 1 or 2 adults and a large number of children in a room for long periods of time, one could come up with a name for this scheme such as "School", giving young dwarves a head start on a productive life.

Spooky education at a distance

There seems to be no requirement for a Guild Hall to contiguous, it appears to be possible for dwarves to attend demonstrations "through a wall". This means for instance that vampires and werebeasts can be allowed to participate in Guild education without risking them eating other participants by just painting the guild zone over their isolation chamber. This could allow vampires and werebeasts to become elite educators.

Another potential use for this would be locking two dwarves together for "bootstrapping", but from time to time painting another patch of the guild hall outside to allow other dwarves to sit in on the demonstrations and quickly get their skill uplifted to the current state-of-the-art of the bootstrappers, without needing to re-isolate the bootstrapper dwarves.

One of the general issues with Guild Halls is "excessive attendance" reducing fortress productivity, and I think that spooky education at a distance could be a useful strategy in general, empty but beautifully decorated guild halls could be created and permanently locked up, this should satisfy the dwarves which want that Guild Hall to exist. When you actually want dwarves to participate in that guild you just paint some of that zone somewhere else allowing dwarves to attend, then when you want them to get back to work just un-paint it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 07:03:27 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is really awesome!

This would be extremely useful for some of those really hard-to-get skills.

I could finally get a legendary Surgeon without having to arrange for hundreds of "unfortunate accidents".
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

high Teacher plus high skill means very fast training through demonstrations. As long as the teacher has the highest skill they will never attend a demonstration.

Skilled Planter, Skilled Teacher, Adequate Organizer. I never embark without one of these, I hate letting novice planters waste seeds and hauling time making 1 unit stacks.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There seems to be no requirement for a Guild Hall to contiguous, it appears to be possible for dwarves to attend demonstrations "through a wall". This means for instance that vampires and werebeasts can be allowed to participate in Guild education without risking them eating other participants by just painting the guild zone over their isolation chamber. This could allow vampires and werebeasts to become elite educators.

perhaps my favorite part. thanks for the science and inspiration

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There seems to be no requirement for a Guild Hall to contiguous, it appears to be possible for dwarves to attend demonstrations "through a wall".

Do they need to be adjacent or at least close by to attend the demonstration? If not, then it is possible we can paint the whole map as barracks to allow soldier to 'attend a demonstration' from anywhere, reducing the wait time for larger groups.

I also wonder if you can place zones on multiple z-levels, if so it might be possible to create fort wide skill training (guild\barracks) and praying spots. So we can build a lavish guildhall\temple\barracks somewhere and instead of dwarves going there have them attend their needs telepathically from spots close by.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:47:21 am by jipehog »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Great science!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do they need to be adjacent or at least close by to attend the demonstration? If not, then it is possible we can paint the whole map as barracks to allow soldier to 'attend a demonstration' from anywhere, reducing the wait time for larger groups.

There doesn't seem to be any limitation around distance, or at least not reasonable limitation, it's like 50 tiles is fine.

I also wonder if you can place zones on multiple z-levels, if so it might be possible to create fort wide skill training (guild\barracks) and praying spots. So we can build a lavish guildhall\temple\barracks somewhere and instead of dwarves going there have them attend their needs telepathically from spots close by.

As far as I know a zone is limited to a single z-level. Also I'm not sure how well it'd work for military demonstrations since they are fairly different than guild demonstrations.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

thriftshopmusketeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very well done! My current dilemma is that no one ever goes to my guildhalls. I've got 12 people in the Smithing guild  and whenever I look, I see one one lonely dwarf "socializing" by themselves. Is this a product of overwork?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very well done! My current dilemma is that no one ever goes to my guildhalls. I've got 12 people in the Smithing guild  and whenever I look, I see one one lonely dwarf "socializing" by themselves. Is this a product of overwork?

Yeah, Guild performance is heavily dependent on attendance, and attendance is heavily dependent on not having alternatives. I strongly suspect that dwarves pick an "entertainment venue" just at random, so if you have a tavern, two temples, a library, and a guild hall, they'd only have a 20% chance of going to the Guild Hall, there might be more nuance to this based on their preferences and such, but as a rule of thumb it works pretty well. And then of course, if they have actual duties to do, they'll usually do those duties instead (though they sometimes seem to get stuck for quite a long time).  Anyway that's why I lock the dwarves in, so they can't get distracted and are forced to focus on demonstrations 100% of the time that they aren't eating, drinking or sleeping, instead of like 5% of the time. Burrows also ought to work well if you're into them.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I personally don't bother setting up taverns, the dwarves can socialize in the temples and guildhalls, and I'd rather they were watching demonstrations than listening to poetry.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

It is in fact possible for children to attend demonstrations and thus learn.

This is game-changing stuff for juvenile strange moods. Even a couple demonstrations should be enough to give Dabbling Weaponsmith, or any other desirable artifact-creation skill.

Especially useful for generational forts!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had a lot of trouble with educating children but maybe it works for you. You need Novice if you want them to mood weaponsmithing etc.

I wonder if it would ever be worth setting up an engineering guildhall with a Teacher/Student that teaches other dwarves the Student skill. Would teaching them to Competent Student before shuffling them off to another guildhall save time?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I personally don't bother setting up taverns, the dwarves can socialize in the temples and guildhalls, and I'd rather they were watching demonstrations than listening to poetry.

Same. Taverns IMO are just plain trouble, oh sure they're great for roleplay, but in terms of running a tight ship they aren't achieving much, there's probably going to be some exceptional exceptions like being from a dead dwarven civilization and wanting to attract more residents...

I've had a lot of trouble with educating children but maybe it works for you.

Locking them in the Guild Hall seems to really help, again it probably comes down to them picking something to do from random from the options available to them, and also freeing them from labors. They still don't attend demonstrations very often, but the nice thing is if there's a highly skilled dwarf leading the demonstration they get a lot of experience when they do attend.

I wonder if it would ever be worth setting up an engineering guildhall with a Teacher/Student that teaches other dwarves the Student skill. Would teaching them to Competent Student before shuffling them off to another guildhall save time?

From casual observation Teacher/Student doesn't seem to do much. If I had to guess it's probably the kind of skill where they get a small bonus like +5% per level, so being legendary+5 does make a noticeable difference to performance, but being merely competent isn't providing enough benefit relative to spending that time learning the desired skill directly.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that DFHack is working with steam, I got to poking around with the internals and finding the exact experience values.

What I conclude:

The leader of the demonstration does not need to have the highest experience within a skill level.
The watchers get 15 exp even if they have higher exp than the leader.
The leader gets 5 exp for the demonstration.

So most of the experience seems to come from watching demonstrations rather than leading them. Thus it stands to reason that you'd actually get slightly faster skill gain from having more dwarves, and the rapid skill gain comes from the lack of distractions rather than having only two dwarves. If this is correct then the average exp earned for a group of 2, is 10 exp, while for 3 it would be 11.67 exp (17% more), and for 10 it'd be 14 exp. So larger groups ought to give slightly faster skill gain. Of course, you also lose the productivity of more dwarves.

I also took a quick look at when there's a skill gap: It seems to be something like 6 exp per skill gap (e.g. with 6 levels difference the exp awarded is 36), but a minimum of 15 exp. But it's not quite exactly that, but there's probably other factors nudging the numbers like student/teacher level, it might even be a base of 5*gap, getting boosted by teacher/student to 6 in my test case. The demonstration leader still gets 5 exp.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:48:13 pm by Panando »

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is really useful, thanks for the tip. Are those Urist's levers in that first picture? Can you confirm whether they make a difference? The wiki mentions them being useful for libraries, but it makes sense that it'd work with other locations, too.
Pages: [1] 2 3