Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No automatic pausing on new version ?  (Read 892 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
No automatic pausing on new version ?
« on: March 21, 2023, 06:43:28 pm »

Yeah, I can edit announcements.txt but... why isn't this set as default ? this new system is supposed to be more newbie friendly.

-no automatic pause on migrants : okay. i prefered it before but the new system means to have less migrant micromanagement. that's fine. (still would be nice to have a pause *after* the migrant wave is over to be able to set up work details for newcomers if they need it.)

-no automatic pause on strange moods : I can understand why three pauses/recenters for a single mood was a bit annoying when you were busy with other projects (like the one where a dwarf claims a workshop is not very necessary), but i've already lost a dwarf because strange moods, in fact, do not show anything but a little icon in announcements, so while I am focused on a building/digging project (and I have difficulty multitasking and not hyperfocusing on things), I can, in fact, lose a dwarf to a failed mood because i do not have the required materials and i wasn't warned of a mood happening. Really annoying if I got one of my important dwarves (armorsmith, weaponsmith, an useful crafter etc.) go mad because of it.

-no automatic pause on trade caravans : there's a big DIPLOMACY warning so that's honestly fine, not a problem for me.

-no automatic pause on underground civ ambushes : Why ? I lost about eight or nine dwarves to that one surprise before I could manually pause and react to it. (I was mass plant gathering in the first cavern, did it cause that ?).

There is, in fact, a pause and recenter for goblin sieges, so why not for those ? the ALERT red warning would imply a threat to your fort, but really doesn't depending of the thing that's happening, because it can be something like a gremlin (completely harmless unless you've got a poorly-placed important lever, and really i've played on and off since 40d and i never had an issue with a gremlin), two or three kobold thieves (they are going to flee, mostly harmless), a bunch of snatchers (really... they're doing me a favor by getting rid of kids, and really snatchers are just an opportunity to train dwarves and fill their needs for fighting) and an actual ambush level event.

I'm perfectly fine with underground ambush events, it gives a little needed flavor to the caverns, but please give me a recenter and a pause whenever a dwarf notices it (like ambushes on the surface were back then) so I can react properly, send a squad, sound the alarm, set up burrows for civilians to hide in etc.

am ambivalent about the changes in the new version. it's mostly good (music, tileset, improved wall building UI) but there is some tediousness and some stepbacks. I'll make a more detailed post about it when i'm done figuring out my thoughts and experiencing more of the new version.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:51:54 pm by Naryar »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No automatic pausing on new version ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 10:44:01 pm »

There is a pause and recenter for Sieges. Not for ambushes (by default).
Mainly because ambushes involve various groups of ambushers being revealed every few seconds. It's honestly really annoying. Difficult decision to make, sudden Fun that you have to react to, vs behaviour that most noons would report as a bug with the constant pausing.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 05:18:50 am »

Try editing the announcements.txt in the data/init folder of where your game is installed. It has settings to pause everything you describe.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 01:32:21 pm »

Try editing the announcements.txt in the data/init folder of where your game is installed. It has settings to pause everything you describe.
That's literally the first thing they said
Yeah, I can edit announcements.txt but...
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 04:51:35 pm »

I agree - this is a 'feature' just waiting for some kind of in-game settings menu . which would certainly resolve the issue. I think it is strange to have a premium interface and still expect players to access and edit an init file...

the change to default pause triggers seems to be in response to the rather frequent request to change settings for cancellation spam with aquifers. but this has perhaps gone too far.

one great thing about 47.05 and before was, despite it's complexity, the game would HALT itself if something needing your attention occurred. generally. I guess I'm just surprised this went the opposite direction, towards less pausing .