Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guild of 2 for bootstrapping skill to Legendary and other guild shenanigans  (Read 4732 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is really useful, thanks for the tip. Are those Urist's levers in that first picture? Can you confirm whether they make a difference? The wiki mentions them being useful for libraries, but it makes sense that it'd work with other locations, too.
The levers had been there in a vain attempt to lure particular dwarves in before locking the door. It was hopeless, dwarves barely seem to give a shit about pulling a lever they are designated to pull. I found a much more reliable way of luring in dwarves was making sure they were the only ones that could do a particular job in there, for example setting them to the only engravers then ordering engraving to be done, or making some carpenter workshops and setting them to be the workers for those workshops and ordering some random stuff.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aha, got it.

The Urist's levers the library page mentions seems to encourage dwarves to do librarian tasks. Since libraries and guildhalls are both locations, I thought you might be doing the same thing here.

That said, do they still socialize while locked in their guildhall like this? Perhaps using the levers would encourage them to start lectures instead of socializing. You could try setting one of those levers on repeat and seeing if it goes up any quicker.

If I had to guess, socializing is a lower priority than lever pulling, and being in a location when that task is finished prompts a location-related activity. In practice, the Urist's lever would 'reset' their activity, essentially railroading them into being productive. I'll try it myself at some point, once I'm done adventuring.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my experience if you put 2 adults in a guild hall, they never socialize unless one of them is eating, drinking or sleeping, if both are available they always demonstrate. If there are children, the children will socialize even when they aren't busy and they also seem to corrupt adults into socializing even when the adults could be demonstrating.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:12:58 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

The Urist's levers the library page mentions seems to encourage dwarves to do librarian tasks. Since libraries and guildhalls are both locations, I thought you might be doing the same thing here.

Supposedly this was fixed in v50.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild of 2 for bootstrapping skill to Legendary and other guild shenanigans
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 07:48:19 pm »

I tried this with my chief medical dwarf and a couple of miners (which become less relevant once you have dug out most of what need to be dug out). My setup:

I expanded the guild area beyond the walls of the guild, in case more dwarfs would want to join the lessons telepathically. Didn't quite expect that kind of attendance, haha.

I don't think I want that many diagnosticians. I'll let them have the lesson, in case it satisfies a need to learn or some such, but then I will remove the outside part.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:50:24 pm by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2023, 07:24:50 pm »

I seem to be missing something. I have 10 dwarves burrowed in an area with 10 bedrooms (assigned to them individually and part of the guild hall), a meeting hall (part of the guild hall), and a dining room (part of the guildhall). But they are all standing around socializing rather than doing demonstrations. Same result with both a Hunter guild hall and a Farmer guild hall.

What am I doing wrong?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2023, 07:54:02 pm »

I seem to be missing something. I have 10 dwarves burrowed in an area with 10 bedrooms (assigned to them individually and part of the guild hall), a meeting hall (part of the guild hall), and a dining room (part of the guildhall). But they are all standing around socializing rather than doing demonstrations. Same result with both a Hunter guild hall and a Farmer guild hall.

What am I doing wrong?
Possibly they are less likely to teach without the "teacher" skill?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 08:21:30 pm »

In the Hunter guild hall:

3 Adequate teachers
1 Competent teacher
3 Dabbling teachers

2 of the adequate teachers are also adequate ambushers.

In the Farmer guild hall:

1 Adequate teacher
1 Novice teacher
3 Dabbling teachers

All 10 are novice or better in at least one farming skill, a few are legendary.

After 1 more month of no progress I am going to lock the doors and disable the burrows to see if that fixes it. The Hunter hall is trying to train an existing military squad which is probably why they have so many more teachers than the farmers.

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 10:14:42 pm »

Something that appears to have worked is replacing the dining hall and meeting area with one larger meeting area.

Edit: nope, now there is about 1 demonstration job for every 10 socialize jobs, there being any demonstrations at all was an improvement but not enough of one to make this useful I don't think.

I am going to use one of my other guild halls to test just burrowing 3 dwarves and see if that helps, it looks like everyone else in this thread was doing it at a small scale like that, perhaps more dwarves in the room increases the odds of socialization making an optimal number of subjects that is fairly small.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:46:05 am by Trabber Shir »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2023, 01:56:45 pm »

What am I doing wrong?
Probably the burrow thing. Try actually locking them in a room without any burrows.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes! It's working!

I dumped some items outside the bootstrapping guild, then disabled chores for children. That way they stayed in that area and joined the demonstration watching.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 10:09:18 am by Blue_Dwarf »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Interesting research! Well done!

Achanei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes! It's working!

I dumped some items outside the bootstrapping guild, then disabled chores for children. That way they stayed in that area and joined the demonstration watching.

Oh wow, this is actually pretty big - does that mean children could get weaponsmithing moods?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So to force children into watching demonstrations, you can either give them a task like dumping something (while disabling it on other dwarves), or you can simply paint the guild hall over your drinks stockpile. Whenever the children finish drinking, they start watching demonstrations instead of playing.

Another byproduct of this guild bootstrapping is the positive thoughts it generates. This is like a waterfall, because they are improving a bunch of random skills you never knew existed. I have a depression-prone dwarf that spent most of the game crying on the mayor's shoulder, but after locking him in with two others and making him teach Masonry, he has a green face.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:33:19 pm by Blue_Dwarf »

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another byproduct of this guild bootstrapping is the positive thoughts it generates. This is like a waterfall, because they are improving a bunch of random skills you never knew existed. I have a depression-prone dwarf that spent most of the game crying on the mayor's shoulder, but after locking him in with two others and making him teach Masonry, he has a green face.

I've also observed this in my fortresses where I use a mining guild to create "pickdwarf" auxiliaries, the (mandatory) guild hall (few alternatives) seems highly effective at generating happy thoughts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3