Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with broken caravan?  (Read 1812 times)

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with broken caravan?
« on: January 16, 2023, 04:12:47 pm »

A caravan of my civilization got interrupted by a werebeast attack while loading up to leave. They are now stuck, all lying down, not moving a short ways from the depot, with most of their stuff still at the depot. They have been stuck for two years. Is there any way to get them to leave or otherwise fix it so I can get more caravans from my civ?

shiverczar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with broken caravan?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 04:31:17 pm »

Well... If you want them out of your Depot and nothing is working, I see several possibilities.

1) Water
2) Magma
3) Cave-in

Any one of these should resolve the issue of having a caravan stuck in your depot.

It may, however, cause some folk to be upset...

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 04:35:21 pm »

Depot is full of goods but the merchants themselves are lying around nearby, humans and elves have traded fine so far. But no more dwarves have come.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 04:55:17 pm »

It's probably best to rebuild the depot and arrange an accident for any stuck traders. One of the easiest ways to kill off a friendly who isn't trying to move, is dropping a constructed floor/wall on them by supporting the floor only via a support linked to a lever.

Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Gaxxian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 06:34:36 pm »

You can also just order to your soldiers to attack them iirc

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 07:43:20 pm »

Caravans getting interrupted then bugging out is fairly common it seems.  Is it possible that one of the units is in a tree?  I have had this happen, the merchants bugged out and wouldn't leave but one of them was in a tree, after I chopped the tree down they left.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 09:25:48 pm »

That used to cause a game-ending civil war spiral of death.
Guess that's fixed now......?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 11:10:55 pm »

I recently did just this thing, aka 'clearing house' with my militia squads. I knew about the other methods but I was lazy.

It did, in fact, end in a game-ending civil war spiral of death. But my experience is subjective because that fortress was kind of a bad place and the dwarves were already getting feisty. .

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 02:57:47 am »

loyalty cascades are still a thing. IIRC they are not slated to be fixed until sometime during the big diplomacy arc when a lot more nuance to loyalty is scheduled to be put in.

For now you can just read up on them here; https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Faction#Loyalty_cascade

The TL;DR on that is probably don't intentionally set up a loyalty cascade. Kill/fix the issue via one of the other means, like collapsing constructions of figuring out if the caravan leader is stuck somewhere.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 03:22:43 am »

you can try removing the depot too, this seemed to do something when I had the problem (or maybe it was just luck)

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 03:41:48 pm »

Looks like deconstructing the depot got them to leave, next caravan arrived on time with no apparent consequences so if anything, this was a boon.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 12:07:08 pm »

A caravan of my civilization got interrupted by a werebeast attack while loading up to leave. They are now stuck, all lying down, not moving a short ways from the depot, with most of their stuff still at the depot. They have been stuck for two years. Is there any way to get them to leave or otherwise fix it so I can get more caravans from my civ?

Deconstruct the depot. You will claim any goods in the depot and make the traders unhappy though because they lost a lot of stock. The next year after the issue I gift them some free stuff to cheer them up, so I don't risk losing caravans permanently.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 03:39:42 pm »

I've got a vegetarian caravan outside that just happened to run into a giant as they were leaving.

Will the depot deconstruct work for foreign traders as well as dwarves? I don't really care, I guess, as everything in my fort is decorated with bone and shell and is, thus, offensive to the twerps. But it was nice to get some more exotic plants in for alcohol variety. I'd prefer future trading opportunities to war.

I'll try the deconstruct later, but I expect it won't have an effect as they had already departed. (Bye Minedbears; Hello giant)

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 10:40:25 am »

Looks like deconstructing the depot got them to leave, next caravan arrived on time with no apparent consequences so if anything, this was a boon.

This works most of the time to fix traders. Also there is a dfhack command but I am unsure if its working at this time.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 03:42:11 pm »

"I'll try the deconstruct later, but I expect it won't have an effect as they had already departed."

Update. Deconstruction of the depot did the trick. I got a lot of free stuff. I guess they hadn't actually loaded up the animals.

Vegetarians came back the next year without any complaints. Well... until I accidentally tried to sell them a mechanism that had a dog bone sticking out of it. Whatever. See you next year, twerps.