Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Region Manipulator, a pre embark region manipulator  (Read 27341 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Region Manipulator, a pre embark region manipulator
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2021, 04:55:50 am »

If that the case, I think I'll give you some money by requesting you to transfer some to me :P

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 10:45:58 am »

Now in the correct thread...

I believe I have figured out exactly how water in caverns works. The tool tip is correct in that it has to do with the bits, but incorrect in its guess.

Each bit corresponds with a cardinal orientation, with the '1' bit representing north, the '2' bit representing south, the '4' bit representing west, and the '8' bit representing east. When a bit is set to 1, there will be water at the corresponding border of the tile. When a bit is set to 0, there will be land.

I think (but haven't extensively tested) that the values generated by the base game always match up across tile borders. So if a tile has its '2'/south bit set to 1, the tile to the south of it will have its '1'/north bit set to 1 as well. Using Biome Manipulator, it is of course possible to create non-matching tiles, which results in a straight line between land and water at the tile boundary.

Here is a handy reference chart:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:45:56 am by Rekov »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2021, 12:15:46 pm »

Thanks Rekov, it now makes sense. You had me scratching my head quite a bit here... Addition of the image to provide the context helps a lot to understand what you refer to. Thanks for that!

That's some research that would be useful to document in the XML files, and I can see it could be useful as an embark search feature as well (I'm sure vjek, at least, would look for embarks without cavern water for challenges).

An interesting question then is to what extent existing tools can be carried over to DF after the Premium release...

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2021, 03:49:59 pm »

I mostly wanted to figure this out because I like using region manipulator to add magma pools to the caverns sometimes. If you add a pool and there's water, it will often immediately start flowing over the magma, causing constant cave-in announcements and pauses.

Now I know how to manually edit the water away from and around magma pools. It could theoretically be done automatically by the script, too. Set the water on the tile with the pool to '0', and then edit the appropriate bits of the surrounding tiles so that they don't have water facing toward the pool either.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2021, 04:30:43 pm »

It's always good to increase the knowledge about the underlying structure.

I don't like to add automatic work arounds for issues generated by manipulation, but I'm in favor of warning of issues, so the player can decide for itself if it wants it or not.
Since magma pipes are in the center if their tiles there's no need technically to modify surrounding tiles to get rid of the water influx, but you'd get straight edges. However, I would have thought magma/water conflicts would resolve themselves fairly quickly through the formation of obsidian fused to the magma pipe sheath, and depending on the depth, it would either block further contact between water and magma, or gradually get the pool to obsidianize over.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2021, 05:27:22 pm »

That makes sense. Part of the magic of these scripts is they let you do things that can't occur naturally in the game.

And you're right, it does resolve itself fairly quickly. The water covers the pool with obsidian and then the cave-ins stop.

ghostofferretpast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2023, 07:36:43 pm »

Does anyone know if this and the Biome Manipulator tools will be updated for DFhack .50?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2023, 03:47:54 am »

The answer is essentially the same as the corresponding one for the Biome Manipulator:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.msg8449368#msg8449368
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]