Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FF XVI - impending checkbook doom  (Read 2336 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
FF XVI - impending checkbook doom
« on: January 21, 2023, 01:22:42 pm »

Somewhat surprised this is starting as a console exclusive.

Also surprised this seems to be aimed at mature audiences.

Also somewhat surprised that, for the first time in a long time, it feels like it may actually be decent?  I have not, to date, been a fan of how things have progressed after the Square-Enix merger.  I feel more interest in the characters just from the trailer than I had for any in (the disastrous) XIII (ugh) or XV - the two I still have never finished (and I even suffered to the end of VIII).

Damn trailers pulling nostalgia strings with an epic rendition of the original (yes, the actual original) theme music... that simple arpeggio...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:00:18 am by McTraveller »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: FF XVI - impending crystal doom
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:53:01 pm »

I haven't played any of the FF games at length past 9. I agree with you on VIII, that one was grindy with the draw mechanic, though I liked the story and characters. I liked 9 more as a game, it felt more like 6 than either 7 or 8, though I liked the less cartoony art style in 8 more. I tried one I can't recall the number of on Xbox IIRC when I was living with room mates who had it, but was somewhat disappointed with it, perhaps unfairly, having come from the earlier iterations of front/back line setup instead of the running around in 3d; that one felt like single player Everquest sort of. My favorites in the series are 6, 5, and 7 in that order, with 8 and 9 right behind in unsure order as I liked different things about them. I also liked the Chrono Trigger game, never played the sequel; and oddly enough Mystic Quest was one of my favorites even though it was one of the most barebones; probably because I played a ton of it at a young age because it was one of the rentals available at a local movie rental store.

The console only release is kind of disappointing just as it is for any game that does that, though I probably wouldn't have bought it right off the bat (limited budget, not a hit at it's quality which I haven't assessed).

It's good to hear it might be a quality game.

I've heard some minor complaints about practices by Square in a business rather than creative sense so I left the FF series remakes off my wishlist on Steam when I cleaned that out the last time. They had been sitting there a long time anyhow. Something about C&D orders for using their art assets but then being caught with a Getty images copyright in some of their art in a game, I can't recall specifically.

The series has always had outstanding music, I still love the Veldt song from 6. If you feel like making your own version of the song, I'd guess many of the old songs are available in midi format somewhere. You can open such a midi file in the free trial version of FL Studio (just export the result before closing out the program, as the trial version can't save project files but can export a finished mp3/whatever format) and replace the midi instruments for other instruments, because the notes will remain the same after the midi instrument is replace by a different instrument. That was how I made some music for the LCS game using classical music midis; it was quite easy comparitive to making an original song. Most of the synthesizers have a list of presets to choose from so it's almost accessible to those who haven't the experience to know what knobs and sliders to wiggle around, in that if they can receive direction to that point of picking presets it's a simple swap out of instruments, takes only a few clicks per instrument.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 09:58:02 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 10:23:15 pm »

I know it'll draw ire to me but there are just way too many FF games. And I only feel any attachment to FF6 (technically 3 but weird title bullshit) I love the series but it's getting so long and convoluted it's got me wishing for the days when it was more fantasy and less steampunk.

Also, Chrono Trigger is by bar an underrated cult classic. Square has done some good but I would love if they would let the franchise see the light of day again.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 10:42:31 pm »

I know it'll draw ire to me but there are just way too many FF games. And I only feel any attachment to FF6 (technically 3 but weird title bullshit) I love the series but it's getting so long and convoluted it's got me wishing for the days when it was more fantasy and less steampunk.

Also, Chrono Trigger is by bar an underrated cult classic. Square has done some good but I would love if they would let the franchise see the light of day again.
Given what they did to Lufia when it came back it's probably for the best they let it lie fallow.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 01:59:45 am »

I actually enjoyed FF12, FF13, and FF15. Each game had shortcomings, but was fun overall.
Except the first part of FF13, that was garbage, and probably the single greatest disappointment I've ever experienced in video gaming. The second and third parts were redeeming though.

Console-only is a dealbreaker for me though, specifically in regards to Playstation. Between excessive censorship practices, asinine hardware choices, and losing all of their exclusive titles, I'm pretty sure I'll never own another Playstation console.

I'm sure FF16 will be on PC soon enough.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 03:43:29 am »

I've been replaying my goto FF games, 7, 8, and 9, the past weeks. They were the games of my childhood, so they have a special and unfair advantage over later and earlier entries (but if course I never actually finished any of them), I want to acknowledge that.

But I tried the demo of 15 some time ago and I really disliked ut. In particular I don't enjoy how combat, and this seems to be a trend in modern jrpgs from other game demos I've played, is just a bunch of nonsensical chaos and flashing lights and running around and things happening!™. How does anyone play that and not be frustrated? It just exhausts me.

...Am I getting too old for this shit?
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 03:22:00 pm »

Naw, combat was definitely a shortcoming of FF15. Aside from janky combat movement, there's also unlimited consumable healing use which trivializes any enemy who doesn't 1-shot you. And strong incentive to constantly pause the game and switch weapons, which totally breaks the flow.
The story was another weak point; it started out strong, even having a solid prequel movie that led into the game. But towards the end it just turned into a generic princess rescue, because shallow evil guy found some random arcane bullshit that allowed him to make a bid for world domination.

The strength of FF15 was in the exploration and atmosphere. Driving down the highway, camping out, listening to commentary from my party, diving into elaborate dungeons full of puzzles, and fighting a wide variety of monsters...15 delivered a genuinely unique experience that I have not found in any other game.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 09:20:34 pm »

There were several boss battles in FF XV that I still don’t even know what I did to get through them; it felt like random button smashing. I did like the exploration in XV.  But goodness the load times!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 03:14:17 pm »

From like a week ago, but... CT is pretty much the antithesis of an underrated cult classic. It's one of the most beloved classic JRPGs outright, there's nothing cult or underrated about it, it's just a highly regarded older game played by very literally millions. Chrono Cross didn't see the greatest reception, so there hasn't been much attention to the IP since, but Trigger's seen over 3 million sales over the last couple decades, ports to like a half dozen different systems... it's a pretty major name in gaming even without more attempts at the franchise.

Given what they did to Lufia when it came back it's probably for the best they let it lie fallow.
Eh... honestly, I liked the GBA one pretty well, and while I never touched the DS version, it seems liked well enough. They could have been better, but I wouldn't say Lufia was terribly tarnished by the attempts. For all squeenix's myriad issues, they mostly make pretty solid games at the end of the day, even when they fail to meet the standard of one previous attempt or another.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 05:46:35 pm »

Given that Lufia's remake had a major sequel bait at the end with the true ending and it's laid follow for about 13 years since it's release. It may not have sold well enough for Squeenix's standards. Though I just wasn't a fan of it changing from an RPG to Action RPG and the weird redesigns from medieval to square enix's FF7's type aesthetics.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 08:14:19 pm »

I’ve only finished 9 and 15, though played through 7 ‘til you get the ship and then stopped for whatever reason, and with 10 I mostly played Blitzball, and could absolutely not stand Tidus as a character, the whining boy.

9 remains my favourite, 15 was… entertaining I guess? It finished rather abruptly, and the final boss fight felt like an interactive cutscene.

The thing I like about FF though is that at least tries to be different, though, which is to be applauded with all the cookie cutter AAA games/sequels/remakes out there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 10:15:17 pm »

Though I just wasn't a fan of it changing from an RPG to Action RPG and the weird redesigns from medieval to square enix's FF7's type aesthetics.
That's fair, though it's probably worth noting Lufia always had a style that was FF7-ish in general theme in places, if admittedly with a less washed out aesthetic; like a weirdly large number of old JRPGs (Final Fantasy itself very much included), they had a pretty substantial magitech/sci-fi design in parts of them. Lufia's sinistral stuff totally had a technologically advanced vibe to some of it, Lufia II outright had submarines and the like, so on and so forth. For whatever reason, old RPGs in particular were pretty fond of including that kind of design at some point or another, usually as some kind of late game area. It's kinda' understandable how a remake would end up with similar vibes as FF7 in places.

Honestly, I hadn't even noticed the ARPG remake, though -- the last time I paid attention to the series people were kvetching about the GBA one, and it was... pretty alright, in my experience. Particularly enjoyed the expanded pokemon monster ally aspect.

... anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it goes with FF. 6 is... still my favorite, although I'm not sure if I'll ever play through it again just due to how kinda' depressing it is. So much is just really damn awesome, Mog is GMOAT, you suplex trains, etc., etc., but at the same time... FF6 was the first game that made me cry when I was a kiddo. Fucked up the one minigame you don't want to fuck up and might not realize what you need to do when you're a kid, and consequences ensued. Hell, just thinking of it kinda' hits harder nowadays... was a primary caretaker for my grandparents, and they both passed last year. FF6 be too damn real right now, which on one had is probably high praise in some sense, but on the other hand I don't want to play it, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 08:20:56 am »

Though I just wasn't a fan of it changing from an RPG to Action RPG and the weird redesigns from medieval to square enix's FF7's type aesthetics.
That's fair, though it's probably worth noting Lufia always had a style that was FF7-ish in general theme in places, if admittedly with a less washed out aesthetic; like a weirdly large number of old JRPGs (Final Fantasy itself very much included), they had a pretty substantial magitech/sci-fi design in parts of them. Lufia's sinistral stuff totally had a technologically advanced vibe to some of it, Lufia II outright had submarines and the like, so on and so forth. For whatever reason, old RPGs in particular were pretty fond of including that kind of design at some point or another, usually as some kind of late game area. It's kinda' understandable how a remake would end up with similar vibes as FF7 in places.
Oh Lufia 2's tech was delightfullly schizophrenic.  You discovered the party member who has invented things like wrenchs and other modern day tools is currently working on a combustible engine that he has been working on for years.. That had already been invented in a kingdom nearby. And there's only one of it because you have to take the engine he made and that engine to power an airship. And that kingdom has bypassed any tech aside from creating that one engine, and created a tank with it, and yet that's the only major technology shown aside from the Sinestral's Magitek powered Fortress of Doom island.

But as for the new FF.. I don't have any hopes for it, so hopefully it'll surprise me. The last few mainline FF aside from 14 have not been that good (and 14 was a disaster at launch that it almost died as soon as it came out).

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 05:46:19 pm »

Sure, but the person responsible for FFXIV's redemption and continued success post-launch is the same person in charge of 16.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 06:17:51 pm »

Here's hoping he can bring that magic to FFXVI. 
Pages: [1] 2