Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow hospitals to work without assigning specific doctors to them  (Read 364 times)

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The new way to handle healthcare seems contrary to v50's trend of reducing micromanagement. We now need to open the Location Information menu for each hospital to assign specific dwarves for them. In previous versions, all dwarves with healthcare related jobs would work on all hospitals they could find.

I get the potential advantages (dedicated doctors for each specific hospital you might have), but I'd like to be able to "set and forget" my hospitals when I don't need to be too hands-on with them.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow hospitals to work without assigning specific doctors to them
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 02:26:19 pm »

I agrre. I can set work details for doctors, so why do I need to assign them to hospitals too? Maybe it would make sense sometimes though, if two hospitals are very far apart. A compromise might be that if you assign a dwarf to medical labours but not to a hospital then they will work anywhere.

Also, it doesn't seem like medical tasks have any tendency to go to the most skilled doctors the way other tasks do. I have a couple of decent surgeons, but the dabblers do all the surgery in my fort. I can only assume that's what their patients keep yelling at the manager about.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Allow hospitals to work without assigning specific doctors to them
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 07:54:50 pm »

I agrre. I can set work details for doctors, so why do I need to assign them to hospitals too?

I mean, my personal solution to this is to completely remove the labors, since they're confusing and do literally nothing at the moment