Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor creates reports from common complaints ("simple" addition)  (Read 517 times)

impala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The mayor could make a formal report to the player if certain complaints arrive in large quantities, or a dwarf is absolutely crying about it. This would help the player spotting specific major problems: "Limestone 2nd, 7 dwarves have been complaining about recurring miasma, and Urist was crying about not being able to pray to Aba the Torrid."

Would require:
- The complaining dwarf should include the major grievances/unmet needs in the "attend meeting" -event
- Add a memory for the mayor on complaints, I would say a tally counter on complaint type, which is multiplied by the complainers happiness level (a crying dwarf could add 5 points to the tally, while a grumbling one would add 1 point)
- For a recurring problem, such as the constant miasma, there could be one more dimension to the matrix, time.
- After a threshold is met on a complaint type, write the report (5?).
- "Write a report" -action for the mayor. Maybe done immediately, but if needed, can be a monthly activity.
- Add an interface for the reports (should use existing ones).
- Anything else?

Irrelevant details:
- Reporting threshold could later be dependent on the mayor's personality.
- Foremen, guildmasters, captains and other authorities could also write reports once those systems get fleshed out.

Its not a major feature, but would be an in-game, helpful tool for dwarf happiness management, and I don't see it being too large given the current system. What do you think?

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor creates reports from common complaints ("simple" addition)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 08:54:54 am »

+ 1

The more the players knows what's going on, the more you invest in the fort. The mayor meetings would be a great way to add to the player's knowledge.

I imagine you'd like sift through the reports every once in a while.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 09:03:15 am »

Probably won't help with that one dwarf (child) with a "constant state of internal rage" personality, who is upset solely from starting arguments with others (to the point of being drawn haggard with stress,) injures or kills other dwarves, and then cries about it. (Potentially beating up the mayor before or after.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:05:05 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 04:00:59 pm »

It's a great idea, surely planned already? This would let the player role-play the mayor to some extent. I wonder if you should need a diligent mayor who actually cares though? The one I have right now really resents being cried on and shouted at. If he doesn't get outvoted next year I think he might be the one throwing tantrums. A sad end for the legendary unicorn trainer. At least the fortress will never be short of mugs.

Probably won't help with that one dwarf (child) with a "constant state of internal rage" personality, who is upset solely from starting arguments with others (to the point of being drawn haggard with stress,) injures or kills other dwarves, and then cries about it. (Potentially beating up the mayor before or after.)

Some kids are never happy. Switching off their chores can help, though it should probably make the other kids jealous. I blame the parents - why is it only the mayor they can talk to?
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

impala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 04:19:37 pm »

It's a great idea, surely planned already? This would let the player role-play the mayor to some extent. I wonder if you should need a diligent mayor who actually cares though? The one I have right now really resents being cried on and shouted at. If he doesn't get outvoted next year I think he might be the one throwing tantrums. A sad end for the legendary unicorn trainer. At least the fortress will never be short of mugs.

Didn't see any mentions with some basic searches. I feel these might be some design choices that get easily overlooked, so I suppose it might be worth mentioning it explicitly.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 05:00:26 pm »

Some kids are never happy. Switching off their chores can help

That would give more spare time to get into arguments, however. The blissful thoughts don't balance those out.

An "unfortunate" cave-in knocked the brat into a cage trap, so we'll see how that works until I can send them out to capture a site. Edit: Went SRM due to lack of sleep.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:46:08 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 04:01:36 pm »

Yes. this should be a thing. I've been saying something along these lines for years, have the nobles actually request items that are useful for the whole fortress rather than just what they like all the time.