Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less aggressive civilians  (Read 677 times)

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Less aggressive civilians
« on: January 24, 2023, 07:55:22 pm »

So just now in game one of my dwarven children, 5 years old, not in a martial trance, saw a yak bull and starts fighting with it, even chasing the animal to the edge of the map - and predictably dying when the animal stopped running away.
This seems to keep happening with my dwarves, they'll see some random animal and chase it down for a fist fight, even if it's a pack of quite large animals, often to hilarious and tragic result.

While just funny in the case of a child, when one of my useful dwarves runs off trying to punch a pack of giraffes to death it's a bit frustrating, why do these civilians have such blood lust to go after animals that aren't even attacking them?

Edit: Oh right an actual suggestion. Perhaps a decision should be made in a potential combat scenario where the dwarf considers his likelihood of success against an opponent or group thereof and if it looks too scary to try running back to the safety of the fort.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:51:23 pm by ayy1337 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Less aggressive civilians
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 02:05:35 am »

Hmmm.
Never seen this. I don't think it's an actual thing.

The only dwarves which chase after animals are hunters.
Except of course if the yak attacks first (as happens quite often with the new "agitated" animals mechanic). And sometimes a dog will attack some wildlife (and even then it's possible the wildlife attacked first).

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 02:23:47 am »

The animals may have been agitated in both cases and I can't tell if the animal attacked first, but in any case a 5 year old child shouldn't be chasing a huge animal to continue a fight.. And same for a pack of giraffes lol.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 04:19:38 am »

The animals may have been agitated in both cases and I can't tell if the animal attacked first, but in any case a 5 year old child shouldn't be chasing a huge animal to continue a fight.. And same for a pack of giraffes lol.
Agitated children...

nousernameontwitch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 01:51:35 pm »

I can vouch for this happening, I had A Dwarven child chase an agitated Giant HAMSTER! That's like a chasing a grizzly in real life, unless a Giant Hamster is even stronger.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 03:59:24 pm »

I had a miner who climbed down a rock pillar to attack a forgotten beast, the beast was a web spitter so it didn't end well.
I save scummed several times before I managed to get the miner to not see the forgotten beast and go do something else somewhere else.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:03:04 pm »

I can vouch for this happening, I had A Dwarven child chase an agitated Giant HAMSTER! That's like a chasing a grizzly in real life, unless a Giant Hamster is even stronger.
Hmm weird. Maybe this is actually a bug caused by agitated animals?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 02:06:26 am »

Seems very much like a bug. And maybe one that's only affecting children?
I've noticed quite a few fun stories recently that end "and then a child ran up and one-punched it! Arf arf"...

I mean, it's generally a big complaint about the game, that non-military dwarves are such cowards compared to their macho image in other games.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 05:35:59 pm »

I definitely saw it happen with adults before, I even took a screenshot of the fight in progress because it seemed so ridiculous lmao. One of these (I think the dead one) spotted a pack of giraffes and ran to engage them, and then for some reason a bunch of others followed him in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:42:35 pm by ayy1337 »