Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introducing Dr. Mark R Johnson for Dwarf Fortress Team Expansion  (Read 1148 times)

solarseven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello Tarn and Zach Adams and the Dwarf Fortress community,

I wanted to introduce you to an incredibly talented developer who I believe could be a valuable addition to the Dwarf Fortress team: Dr. Mark R Johnson.

Dr. Johnson has spent over a decade creating a game called "Ultima Ratio Regum", which shares many similarities with Dwarf Fortress and can be found for free on his website at https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/games/ultima-ratio-regum/.

I truly believe that Dr. Johnson's unique ideas, experience, and expertise could bring a fresh perspective and new possibilities to the already amazing Dwarf Fortress game.

Why not reach out and see for yourself?

Cheers!

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Ratio_Regum_(video_game)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Dr. Mark R Johnson for Dwarf Fortress Team Expansion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 02:54:47 pm »

Isn't he kind of busy with URR to be joining the DF team?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

solarseven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:51:06 pm »

The man himself holds the key to unlocking this mystery, without him the answer remains unknown.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 07:05:49 pm »

I don't think the man needs much of an introduction; he's been co-posting his dev blog on these forums since his project started. So, I suppose if you're curious about whether "without him the answer remains unknown", why don't you go down to his thread and ask? He's always been ready to answer questions, after all.

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 08:49:58 pm »

Wow! I had long wished for the incorporation of some of URR’s systems into DF. Dunno what’s possible but clearly Dr. Mark can add a tremendous amount to the depth of the game. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of the collaboration.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 08:58:34 pm »

There's no collaboration, OP is just wording their suggestion oddly.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 09:13:03 pm »

Not sure if it's just me...but the idea of shifting towards a "why not allow X, Y, and Z onboard DF development" mindset makes me nervous. Yes, Tarn and Zach have recruited some additional help which has been very good for the game, but I think the DF team should still remain as small as possible. Dwarf Fortress is ultimately the Adams brothers' life project, and I'd hate to risk their vision becoming compromised by making DF into a programmers' free-for-all.

Of course, this is probably just my personal anxiety. I realize there's no reason to think Tarn and Zach wouldn't still retain final say on what does and doesn't end up in the game, but I still think it's worth questioning what a few additional programmers would really bring to the table that can't be accomplished already.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:45:58 pm »

There's no collaboration, OP is just wording their suggestion oddly.

I see that now. I was so excited I read it the way I wanted it to be lol.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 10:15:04 pm »

Not sure if it's just me... <snip>

It's not just you. I very much agree with what you said.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth" and so on.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 11:48:25 pm »

Yeah, they very carefully chose experienced DF graphics modders for the graphics, the well established in the DF world Simon Swerwer for the music (plus the other guy, but I guess music is not as risky). And chose as their first outside developer someone's who's been dedicated to working with the DF code (as far as it can be got at from the outside) for over a decade.

"And let's bring in an extremely busy professor whose own megaproject surely takes up any free time he has, and since it's made in Python, does he even have games development experience in C++/SDL anyway?" Is a bit random.

Love his game, but...yeah. Maybe ask him first what he thinks he can bring to the table.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 12:09:40 am »

I'd really prefer to see more development on URR than some nebulous contribution towards DF.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

DuniteOlivine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 02:05:42 pm »

LOL volunteering someone else to work. Mark is definitely aware of Dwarf Fortress, and if he was interested in joining the DF team I'm sure he would take initiative to reach out himself.