Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to view the physical size of Creatures  (Read 692 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
A way to view the physical size of Creatures
« on: January 25, 2023, 12:39:15 pm »

For a game where each creature can vary greatly in size, it makes it hard to know the full scale of how big they can be when they all equally occupy a single tile. There is no other in-game description for their sizes aside simply "short" or "enormous".

I would love any means to view the size of each creature from viewing their status, for example: "This enormous creature is 175 dwarves high" or  "This enormous creature is ~200 dwarves high". It does not have to be measured in Dwarves, it could be Metric, or anything more relatable. Simply a value that can tell us how much physical space they would normally take would be nice.

And as for Adventure Mode, maybe a player with a good spatial sense could better estimate how large another creature is when viewing them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:59:29 pm by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way to view the physical size of Creatures
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 09:12:35 pm »

I also agree with this. I think even just a basic numerical descriptor somewhere would be good, like how many dorf units it is, with a dwarf being 60000ish for example. It'd be such a help for weirder creatures with no baseline for how big they should be.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 07:27:45 am »

Does the game keep track of the heights of creatures? I’ve seen volume listed in the raw objects files. If there’s no height attributes, could maybe use the cubed roots of the volumes of creatures to get a fought idea of their sizes. So a 60,000 volume dwarf would be 39.15 cubed. IMO, the smaller number is easier to read and compare.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 01:37:07 pm »

Does the game keep track of the heights of creatures?

There are height and broadness modifiers for appearance.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 05:30:34 pm »

Length too. Which aren't direct measures, but give a general idea of only how an individual differs from the average.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:11 pm »

Said averages would be another helpful detail to factor into descriptors. If, for instance, you're playing as a human in adventure mode, then rather than just "very tall" the description of a creature may read as "very tall for a dwarf/elf/goblin" to make it clear that they're still likely shorter than you.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.