Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood metal glitch?  (Read 808 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood metal glitch?
« on: January 26, 2023, 10:14:31 pm »

After discovering adamantine, all my metalsmiths ask for adamantine wafers when they enter strange moods. This is annoying because I was hoping to get a room full of artifact gold statues.

If I use up all the adamantine, will they go back to using regular metal?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood metal glitch?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 06:53:59 am »

Forbidding also works, though I'm not sure if it helps after they've already claimed a workshop.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 11:14:21 am »

I'm not sure if the forbidding trick works 100% of the time anymore. I had a dwarf asking for forbidden stuff after he claimed his workshop.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:28:10 am »

Forbidding works for me, though I had no adamantine requirements in current version yet - I usually forbid magma-unsafe metal or stone to use magma safe ones. Also, I forbid when the dwarf is on the way, so he comes with the forbidden item to the workshop, drops it, and then goes for the replacement.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:31:08 am »

I'm not sure if the forbidding trick works 100% of the time anymore. I had a dwarf asking for forbidden stuff after he claimed his workshop.
It doesn't, even if I forbid the adamantine before they claim the workshop. They complain until I unforbid it. They've done that for my last three strange moods.

Maybe it has to be forbidden before they enter the strange mood in the first place?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 01:36:27 pm »

To my knowledge, requirements for a mood are decided the moment the mood starts, and adamantine itself is a possible requirement (versus e.g. "bar of any metal") when it's available. So yeah, it would have to be forbidden beforehand.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 04:46:04 pm »

It was working some versions ago, but now it's less reliable.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 07:47:51 pm »

Adamantine is automatically chosen by metal moods if available on purpose, it's not a bug.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 08:50:31 pm »

Adamantine is automatically chosen by metal moods if available on purpose, it's not a bug.

Useful information! And I can kind of see the logic there. If you're going to make a once-in-a-lifetime valuable artifact, and you're lucky enough to live somewhere where the magic unobtanium is obtainable, might as well make it mega super duper valuable. But question - what actually counts as available? If all wafers are forbidden at the time the mood strikes, would that preempt demanding candy when they get to the workshop? Or would there need to actually be none present on site?

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 01:12:35 am »

Useful information! And I can kind of see the logic there. If you're going to make a once-in-a-lifetime valuable artifact, and you're lucky enough to live somewhere where the magic unobtanium is obtainable, might as well make it mega super duper valuable. But question - what actually counts as available? If all wafers are forbidden at the time the mood strikes, would that preempt demanding candy when they get to the workshop? Or would there need to actually be none present on site?
If the candy is forbidden when the mood strikes, the dwarves are willing to use other materials. I just tested it. If you want to micromanage what your dwarves use during strange moods, you should always forbid your adamantine wafers in advance.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 02:27:32 pm »

If the candy is forbidden when the mood strikes, the dwarves are willing to use other materials. I just tested it. If you want to micromanage what your dwarves use during strange moods, you should always forbid your adamantine wafers in advance.

Yes, indeed, "available" is the key word.