Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck With Tiny Sieges  (Read 1131 times)

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuck With Tiny Sieges
« on: January 27, 2023, 07:51:12 am »

I am not sure if this is a bug or due to shenanigans with my world (generated with advanced parameters) but the goblin sieges never seem to scale with my fortress growth. I am at my third large fortress (over five years, over 100 pop) in this world. I have been attacked by at least four goblin civilizations. The attacks never consist of more than around half a dozen goblins, no troll, no beak dogs, no slave soldiers. I haven't encountered attacks from non goblin civs yet. Cave dwellers seem more numerous, although they never reach the game breaking numbers others have warned about. But they at least reach an entire dozen or so. I tried increasing the maximum number of attacker in the settings since I suspect I am stuck at the lowest tier but since it is only a maximum it didn't help.

Has any one else had this problem? This is the Steam version if it wasn't clear.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck With Tiny Sieges
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 09:03:55 am »

So to be clear in the gameplay settings you've set enemies to "hard"? This should result in sieges of up to 120 enemies before too long, though there is still a large element of randomness.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 09:56:40 am »

Could it be that the world just doesn't have so many goblins that they could send large sieges?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 06:40:51 pm »

How old is your world and what is the population of your neighboring goblin sites?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 08:12:41 pm »

I've run into this too. never receiving actual siege-sized sieges despite living 10 years in the same goblin infested hell-continent

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 03:35:25 pm »

Thanks for the replies! Most of the goblin sites plateau at around 100 which is on the small side but I have a drak fortress at 7500 a little over a day away from my current fort from a civ that has sent attacks (or attackers with their symbol on their helmets at least). In general the goblin civs seem to be doing great in the history simulation with a lot of both founded sites and conquests.
I hav never managed to steal beak dogs in raids in this world, although I haven't raided much and non of the big sites. It might be worth it just to see if my soldiers face of against any beak dogs/troll then at least, to confirm that the goblins have access to them.

Legends viewer isn't available for the steam version yet right? To easier see exact site populations.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 08:01:21 am »

Try raiding them and creating lots of wealth.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 09:58:25 am »

This has happened to me as well. In fact, I got to a population of 200 dwarves and never got a single siege, despite not being on an island.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 02:38:05 pm »

I have the same. Rich 200- dwarf fort. I had ONE decent invasion with maybe 30, 50 goblins, a part from that I get a lot of "invasions" with below 10 goblins. (I did however get huge amounts of cave dwellers.)

I assume it is because my world has a TON of low-pop sites.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 03:44:27 pm »

The big sieges of old have pretty much stopped a few patches ago (several years ago).
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.