Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [50.xx] Kobold Caverns - Playable lore-friendly skulking filth  (Read 1716 times)

GadgetPatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[50.xx] Kobold Caverns - Playable lore-friendly skulking filth
« on: January 28, 2023, 11:15:57 pm »

(Banner art from the lovely and talented AndroidArts)

LINKS:
-- Kobold Caverns on Steam (for diplomatic non-kobold civs)
-- KC: Skulking Filth Edition on Steam (for hostile non-kobold civs)
-- Will be backporting to 47.xx soon!

PICS (50.xx):

OVERVIEW:

Kobold Caverns is a thematic and challenge mod for Dwarf Fortress, focused on playable kobolds. They're small, weak, widely-disliked by other civs, don't have easy access to metalworking, and can only eat meat and fish. And now you're in charge of keeping them alive!

Plenty of care went into tweaking their gameplay, psychology, and culture, without deviating too far from the weak, thieving, anxious little cat-lizard goblins we know and love. Tweaks are focused on playability, visual and personality variety, and generally encouraging a richer kobold experience in fortress mode, adventure mode, and worldgen.

I also gave them fur and made them socially groom each other like cats; I had to throw the cutebold fans a bone, after making kobolds weird and creepy again. You're welcome~

I'm relatively new to modding anything this in-depth, so please let me know if you run into issues, or have any features you might like to see. And please share screenshots of your kobold outposts, especially if there's any you think might look good on the Steam page.

FEATURES:

-- New weapon types, like quick-striking knives, high-torque staves, and stone-throwing slings.
-- Original outfit and equipment graphics, and new fur colors.
-- New creatures, like trainable dog-sized, silk-spitting, shearable Wooly Spiders.
-- Expanded weapon crafting, using wood, bone, leather, stone, and even gems.
-- Unique administrators, who get greedier as your civ grows.
-- A 100% carnivorous diet of meat and fish. Bones, raw eggs, and live vermin work too!
-- Ranchabe lizards, spiders, and cave creatures, to support your kobolds.
-- Milkable venom!

ON THE NEEDS AND CARE OF YOUR KOBOLDS:

Spoiler: Diet: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Industry: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leadership: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Physiology: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Personality: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Society: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Gen: (click to show/hide)

FUTURE FEATURES:

-- Envenomed weapons and traps. The current crafting system doesn't support this, and I've not found a vanilla workaround yet.
-- Edible milk, cheese, and cooked eggs. I don't have an intuitive, non-clunky way to make this happen in the current DF version.
-- Restore kobolds egg-laying. I've temporarily made them ovoviviparous (they lay and hatch their eggs internally), due to bugs with egg-laying sentients in fortress mode.