Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Twist of Fate (Adv. Mode Short Story)  (Read 1010 times)

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
A Twist of Fate (Adv. Mode Short Story)
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

World 3: Athira Liceva "The Plane of Legends"
Important Events:
Places of Interest:

-=-=-=-=-=-

Adventure Mode
note: I don't remember the name of this character the exact place this happened, just thought it was ironic.

-Twist of Fate-

A strong human axeman spotted the cave he and his comrades had been tasked to search. They were to find a
giant named "lightningclaps" and slay him. They hade already killed a ratman that had ventured outside the
cave, presumably searching for food to carry back into its dark home. The axeman was heavily burdened by his
iron armor, but he stood solidly against any questions about the matter; he was strong enough to handle it;
surely if they got into trouble, the others would be wishing they had thought to prepare themselves so fully
against injury.
 The party of six entered the cave and the axeman - elected party leader by the reluctant consent of the
others - led them down a wide hallway to the left.
 After not too many steps an antman stepped from the shadows into the feeble light that the torch provided.
The axeman had said it before; he was strong enough to handle these things. He walked toward the insectoid
creature, raising his axe as the antman's armored claws rapidly taped and scraped the ground, bringing it
forward to meet him. The creature had no chance; before they were even within attacking range the axe had
begun its downward swing. It fell upon that thin connective tissue that connected the antman's abdomen to
its main body; splitting it in two like a woodcutter through a rotten branch. The creature emitted a high
pitched series of clicks and skrieks that even one of another species could  recognise as swearing. Then
the antman twitched its last. The party looked at the axeman with a bit of newfound respect; maybe he
actually was as talented as he claimed.
 The stone corridor was not long; a good thirty or so steps found them at the end, looking into a fairly
large room. Then a terrifying voice boomed, "I AM EROD LIGHTNINGCLAPS-PREPARE TO DIE!!!" The voice was so
deep and loud it caused their bodies and armor to vibrate, and it left their ears ringing afterwords, but
even so, they had to fight this terrible monster; it was why they were here. The axeman fought and overcame
his fear; he would back up his claim to strength and show the others that he was worthy to lead them! He
charged towards the giant, whom one of his comrades was already fighting desperately against. He could see
his friend's hammerblows glancing harmlessly off of the savage brute's thick muscles. While the giant was
occupied, he once again raised his axe and then brought it dow with it's full weight, but then the giant
shifted. Had he been able to comprehend it, he still might not have believed it; even if the giant moved, a
sharp axe couldn't possible glance off without leaving so much as a shallow cut; yet that was what had just
happened. He may not have harmed the monster, but it had felt the blow; he had not even the time to
comprehend what had just happened before the giant had spun around with unnatural agility and brought a fist
the size of a small boulder down upon the warrior's head. It was smashed, the iron helmet crumpling against
the raw force of the blow. In a strange twist of fate, the party's leader was struck down.

The surviving members of the party would never know that what the man who had boasted so boldly of his
strength had actually been telling the truth...

-=-=-=-=-=-

In short, just after cutting an antman into two clean pieces on the first hit, I was confronted by a giant, who deflected my first attack and responded by turning my head into homogeneous slush. These were this warriors first two battles ever; he was wearing iron from head to toe.

Tenebrys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Twist of Fate (Adv. Mode Short Story)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 02:47:00 am »

I have this to wonder... was the giant wearing any armor at all?  Surely a creature as strong as Lightningclaps would have more to defend himself than his hide alone.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

i dont think giants wear armor, but im not sure.  they do have the "equips" flag, so i guess they might.  they dont have a damage_block flag, but they have a non-trivial size which prevents a good deal of damage.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

He was not wearing any armor that I was aware of (I have however seen a giant wearing armor before, or I'm pretty sure it was a giant; chain leggings, which strangely happened to fit my character perfectly afterwards...). My character, however, was quite well armored, although it obviously didn't help.  ;)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sylverone:
<STRONG>chain leggings, which strangely happened to fit my character perfectly afterwards</STRONG>

big in the pants, eh?

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

...Perhaps.

Whatever the case, I theorize that he made holes for his arms and wore them around as extremely baggy armored overalls.

--
The giant puts on the =Iron Chain Leggings=.
They are mangled!
The giant falls over.
--

Another likely theory is that they are enchanted one-size-fits-all, but that's too boring.  ;)

[ September 28, 2007: Message edited by: Sylverone ]