Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: found a new bug (?) I've never heard anyone mention  (Read 910 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
found a new bug (?) I've never heard anyone mention
« on: January 30, 2023, 05:26:49 pm »

On a fresh embark, I dug a few staircases and, on a whim, decided to use a plant gathering zone instead of a gathering designation (I almost never bother with gathering zones, which is probably why I never encountered this before). Dwarves refused to dig anything designated in the z levels below the zone, which was on the surface. To be clear : this was literally seconds into the embark. Relevant dwarves had mining enabled, and pickaxes equipped. No military squads had ever been created, nor uniforms established. No burrows. Flat embark, no structures, no one was stuck in trees or otherwise unable to reach the dig location. No water or other hazards preventing digging. No one was wounded, sleepy, thirsty, or hungry. No wild animals in the area. What I found most interesting, though, is that this situation caused no job cancellation messages; it's like the dwarves couldn't even attempt to take the jobs, or the dig jobs couldn't select dwarves, whichever. As soon as I deleted the gathering zone, the dwarves got to work, so I'm pretty confident it was the zone that was causing the problem. Has anyone else ever encountered this? I wasn't sure if this actually qualifies as a bug, so I'll wait to hear from people here before making an actual report.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: found a new bug (?) I've never heard anyone mention
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 05:59:31 pm »

This has been discussed a lot on Steam forums, see the "general strike" bug, and bugs with gathering zones.

You are the first one I see properly testing it, though. Maybe now we can reproduce it reliably.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: found a new bug (?) I've never heard anyone mention
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 07:50:35 pm »

Okay, it being related to zones wasn't known for sure but was a hint and this is a really, really good hint.