Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SUPERSPAMDORF (spring break, 2023)  (Read 2349 times)

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
Re: SUPERSPAMDORF (spring semester, 2023)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 03:14:10 pm »

Lovely art! It looks like it has a story behind it, that I'd love to hear at some point! Glad to hear that progress is being made towards the Art Club idea! As for my recommendation for action, I recommend C, Exercise.

Go for a refreshing walk, or maybe consider doing some body-weight exercises in the comfort of your own home! There are lots of videos on youtube of body-weight workout sets that can be done at any level of strength. It may not be an easy thing to do at first, but it gets easier with time. If I find time this evening, I'll track down a few links to some workout sets that I've used in the past. You don't have to spend the full hour exercising, and in fact I recommend not spending the entire hour exercising, especially if you are exercising strenuously. Wouldn't want you to burn out. Pace yourself, and you'll be amazed at how quickly things that were impossible when you started become easy. I recommend spending any leftover time in the hour Reading, as that allows the body to relax and cool down from the exercise.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 10:08:33 am by S1lentWanderer »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 10:35:00 pm »

C, exercise!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 02:07:01 am »

Book!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 06:42:58 pm »

The atmosphere on campus has been especially soap opera-y lately. I'm lucky enough to be mostly uninvolved in the drama, but people wind up telling me most of it anyhow. Strange times.

Feb. 3 2023

So I wound up doing both things, kind of. That wasn't the plan, but once I finished my book I had to get off-campus just so I could get my head screwed back on. So I went for a walk.

Once my classes for the day were done with, I found a chair in the dorm basement and pulled out the book I've been meaning to finish: Memorial by Alice Oswald. It's a single cohesive poem, 81 pages in length. It is, at least in theory, an abridged translation of the Iliad. The poem opens with a list of names: Protesilaus. Echepolus. Elephenor. Simoisius. Leukos. On and on and on - eight pages of nothing but names. They are the people who died in the Iliad. Oswald visits every one of them in her translation. The poem is about their deaths. This is its purpose.

...There's a short story by Leo Tolstoy, "The Death of Ivan Ilyich," that feels relevant here. It's a story about the sudden illness, suffering, and passing of its titular character. Ivan is a well-bred, shortsighted cog in some legal institution or other. He's lived all his days in stubborn ignorance of death - when his own illness becomes serious, his initial reaction is disbelief. He recalls a syllogism from Kieswetter's Logic: "Caius is a man, men are mortal, therefore Caius is mortal." The maxim feels like it shouldn't apply to him. Caius is only an abstraction, a non-entity.

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy, "The Death of Ivan Ilyich"
Caius really was mortal, and it was right for him to die; but for me, little Vanya, Ivan Illych, with all my thoughts and emotions, it’s altogether a different matter. It cannot be that I ought to die. That would be too terrible.

Memorial's basic structure crushes this kind of disbelief to the ground. Over and over again, a name is mentioned, and a human life attached to it. The son of a shepherdess, who birthed him as she was following her flock. A prince among the Myrmidons, generous and reliable, until he murdered his cousin in a fit of rage and fled to the Trojan field. Over and over again a person's life is told, just enough of it to call up their personhood - and then they die. A spear through the jaw, the throat, the sternum. Life after life after life: an inductive proof of the mortal syllogism. The poet is relentless.

She doesn't stop there.
Each life is followed by a death. Each death is followed by something more difficult: a metaphor from life.

Quote from: Alice Oswald, "Memorial," pp. 60-61
He kept killing and killing
Until the crack of his spear splintering
And the hush of his helmet spinning through the air
And the rare and immediate light
Of Apollo with one hand
Stopped him

Like moonlight
Or the light of a bonfire
Burning on the cliffs
When sailors get blown along
Homesick over the sea
They notice that far-off fire
And think of their wives

Like moonlight
Or the light of a bonfire
Burning on the cliffs
When sailors get blown along
Homesick over the sea
They notice that far-off fire
And think of their wives

Quote from: Alice Oswald, "Memorial," p. 14
Like snow falling like snow
When the living winds shake the clouds into pieces
Like flutters of silence hurrying down
To put a stop to the earth at her leafwork

And this is the thing that makes me want to cry.

Beanie. Hoodie. Coat. Gloves. It takes you maybe fifteen, twenty minutes to gather all your things. Once you're dressed warm enough, you trade pleasantries with the folks downstairs and plunge into the chill New England air.

February rolls through you like a wave. It's cold. It's ten degrees Fahrenheit plus wind chill cold. It's breathe-clouds-without-a-cigarette, freeze-the-moisture-to-your-mustache cold. You rub your cheeks, jam your hands into your pockets, and slog around the pond as best you can. The water's been above freezing for weeks, and now ragged plates of ice cluster around the shore.
As you turn off the pond and push towards downtown, you think about the cafe you're walking to, and what you'll write for the Bay12 update when you get there. You run the events of the last hour through your mind - again and again and again, up to the present minute, the present second - and think about the words you'll use to describe them. You realize what you're doing after awhile. You reflect on how natural it feels to think in the past tense. You've dealt with sad things in your life this way before: by removing yourself from an emotion, and telling the story to yourself as you experience it. Only difference now is, this time you're going to write it all down afterwards. And some people on the internet are going to read it.

Your mustache has frozen stiff. You grin a little, take a selfie on your phone, and send it off to your ma for a laugh. Today is a good day.

I ducked into a nearby milliner's to buy a scarf, so the walk back should be ok. Grabbed a white hot chocolate for good measure, to sip while I typed this. They put marshmallows in it and everything :)

1d4=4

Action unlocked!
Reading -> Extend: Keep going for another half hour.
You can use up to one Action per turn. It might work, or it might not.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Tomorrow's Bay12 Hour will be:
A) Music. There's an open mic night coming up, so I'll probably find the chords for a song I like and try to figure it out on my guitar.
B) Art. I might draw something in pencil, start an iconography project, or mess around in Krita some more.
C) Exercise. Today was cold, so I'll probably just do something indoors.
D) Reading. Now that Memorial's out of the way, I just have my Bible and that psyche book. And Moby Dick, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:52:25 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 10:02:50 pm »

A Open mic sounds fun.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 11:09:03 pm »

A
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 11:34:27 pm »

A

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 02:39:41 am »

A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2023, 12:45:10 pm »

A take the opportunities before you, seizing the future you wish to see. Play music, and deepen your skills and abilities. Build into the community you have before you. You will rarely regret investment into those around you. Make connections, and build into them. Friends will sustain you through dark times.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 01:09:23 am »

Got up at 7:30 today to help staff a couples workshop for my work study program. They only needed help with the setup really, so I got five hours' pay for about an hour's work - and I got to juggle ketchup packets for a baby! All in all a good deal :D

Oh, I'd be remiss not to mention the place I learned of Memorial from: a video essay by Jacob Geller. It's a fantastic watch.

9 PM - 10 PM, Feb. 4 2023

My music hour kinda got hijacked.

First off, I had some (heavy, sparring-grade) prop swords lying around the dorm common, and some freshmen decided they wanted to spar while I was tuning my guitar. With no experience, a pair of padded cold-weather gloves each for protection, and way too much enthusiasm. Sorting that out involved a rollicking good time, several bruises, and a likely-fractured knuckle. I'm directly responsible for that last one - the guy took it in good stride, but I really don't feel great about it. Definitely being more careful about those things in future.

Once that was all sorted, I asked an Indian priest who dropped by to help me figure out the barre chord I've been stuck on. He offered some advice, but pretty quickly the evening just turned into a jam session, with the priest playing and me singing harmony. The main thing I learned was that it's gonna take me another month probably of struggling with this before I can hit the chords I want. Blergh.

Still, that was a solid hour of musical futzing (not counting the swordfight,) so I'm content. After we were done, I just spent a good while listening to stuff on YouTube with a buddy. Not a bad evening all things considered.

Not sure what I'll go with for open mic night. Maybe I'll just sing?

1d4=1
Nothing unlocked today.

A) Music. Open mic night is Tuesday - I may have to pick an easier song for myself, or transpose this one so it works without the barre.
B) Art. I might draw something in pencil, start an iconography project, or mess around in Krita some more.
C) Exercise. The weather should be warmer tomorrow!
D) Reading. I have a Bible, a mental health book, and my music buddy mentioned Rime of the Ancient Mariner, so I might pull that up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:51:57 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 01:45:19 am »

I feel sword fighting should count as exercise, so you did music and exercise yesterday.

And with that in mind I say B:art today.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 10:15:26 am »

D

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2023, 05:47:28 pm »

I'd recommend going out on a nice walk, and finding a place to read. Combining Exercise and Reading

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2023, 11:25:31 pm »

Another walk. Much warmer this time - you just threw on a hoodie over your Sunday things, and went for a wander. You called home. Caught up a bit. Asked for some advice.

You didn't get the answer you wanted to hear. You've made a commitment that you weren't prepared to keep. It terrifies you.
You don't want to admit you are a man like other men. Sometimes you don't even care to admit you're human.

Feb. 5 2023

Not much to say about this one - I just picked up where I'd left off in Gospel of Matthew, reviewed a couple chapters prior, and kept going. A lot of it was just retreading old ground: stories I've heard a dozen times in the parish, in my schooling. Every now and again I read something surprising. What's all this about?

Matthew 11:12, KJV: And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

I could try and draw a parallel between this and the siege of Jericho, but I don't have a confident bead on the passage... maybe I can find a priest who's willing to exegete? I want to keep going, regardless. I've only ever read the Bible in fragments; it's high time I started going through the whole thing.

1d4=2
Nothing unlocked today.

A) Reading. I want to finish the Gospel I'm on ASAP.
B) Music. Open mic night is Tuesday!
C) Art. The club application is slowly progressing, but for now I've my own projects I could work on.
D) Exercise. The weather is lovely lately - perhaps it's time to jog a bit? It's been a good while.

klonk
Sigtext

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2023, 12:32:14 am »

A
If it's high time you started going through the whole thing, let's go and do that
Pages: 1 [2] 3