Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liason leaving mad  (Read 1262 times)

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Liason leaving mad
« on: February 02, 2023, 04:52:53 am »

What is the likely cause of the outpost liaison hanging out for a month or so as "Diplomat / No activity" then leaving and giving me the "A diplomat could not complete a meeting and left unhappy" message?

It has happened to me all three Autumns this fort has existed, I really want trade wagons as I an on a world with scarce minerals, but no diplomacy screen = no barony = no wagons, also no trade agreements.

My mayor has been accessible, they even socialized with each other in the tavern.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Liason leaving mad
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 08:03:34 am »

Does your mayor have a tongue?
(serious question).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 09:26:09 am »

Does your mayor have an office?  I don't remember if that's a requirement for a liaison meeting.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 12:36:22 pm »

yep, the mayor has an office right next to the tavern. I should probably note that this has happened with 2 mayors and an expedition leader. The first mayor encountered a spoiler and his wife got elected to replace him.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 12:54:52 pm »

did your mayor get re-elected between the liason arriving and leaving ?

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 04:19:05 pm »

I have also had this happen.  The only thing I could think of was that I hadn't clicked "done" when I had finished talking to them, and had instead pressed "esc" which in most menus will confirm any actions/changes but the diplomacy screen is different in that regard I believe.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 05:45:54 am »

yep, the mayor has an office right next to the tavern. I should probably note that this has happened with 2 mayors and an expedition leader. The first mayor encountered a spoiler and his wife got elected to replace him.

There has been a bug in the past where if the old mayor was assigned the task of a meeting, and then didn't make it (due to whatever !fun! was going on at the time) and a new mayor was made, the task was not conferred onto the new mayor. Meaning, the diplomat couldn't be appeased, his appointment was with a dead dorf. Best to attempt to keep your new mayor healthy, happy, and not over busy, or it might happen again. If no other diplomat can ever meet, then report it as a bug, it was definitely a thing for a while.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 08:24:01 am »

Does your mayor have a tongue?
(serious question).
just for the sake of knowledge, please, elaborate

are you implying that loss of ways of communications can forbid social relationships and diplomacy meetings?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 10:07:18 am »

There has been a bug in the past where if the old mayor was assigned the task of a meeting, and then didn't make it (due to whatever !fun! was going on at the time) and a new mayor was made, the task was not conferred onto the new mayor. Meaning, the diplomat couldn't be appeased, his appointment was with a dead dorf. Best to attempt to keep your new mayor healthy, happy, and not over busy, or it might happen again. If no other diplomat can ever meet, then report it as a bug, it was definitely a thing for a while.

Still happened in v47.

Caravan arrives, with liason, diplomat, guild representative, whoever, someone who wants to meet with the mayor/administrator/overseer/whoever, that has the appropriate responsibility.

An election occurs. Urist McSocial is re-elected as mayor !

And all diplomats go "Well, I don't want to meet with Urist McSocial, 23rd mayor of CursedHalls, my appointment was with Urist McSocial, 22nd mayor of CursedHalls, screw this, I'm out of here. Also all trade agreements are null and void and just for good measure we're going to start sending raiding parties and eventually escalate to war".

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 08:20:37 pm »

Two years later, two liaison meetings "missed", no "diplomacy" button. I have also had 3 attempts to parley where I accepted the request, the mayor walked over, and the fighting started with no diplomacy button. (In one of those I learned that you can dump their weapons and other equipment while they wait and they will just let your civilians disarm them).

I have been thinking about the no tongue thing. She is uninjured, but "Her teeth are tangled". I took that to mean they are just not straight, in modern times "needs braces". But in DF does that actually have a more serious meaning? Note that meetings with citizens seem to happen all the time and give the normal satisfied, empathetic, etc. moodlets, so I assume it does not mean she cannot communicate, but am I wrong somehow?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 08:43:13 pm »

As far as I know it's just a meaningless descriptor, yeah.  No real clues on what's going on.  I'm curious if retiring and resuming the fort would fix it, but I'm not sure what consequences that has so if you do try it you may want to back up your save first.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 11:27:59 pm »

Quantum stockpiles explode all over the map on retiring and I use those pretty extensively. Stones make far less lag when in a stockpile and I tend to dig out fairly large rooms and too many rooms really, lots of role play with architecture results in a lot of waste stone, but I am also fairly inefficient with over-producing furniture and my refuse quantum pile lags the game for a second or so when I click to get the list of stuff in that tile. So, when i retire this fort, it is going to be permanent.

Will try retiring and un-retiring, doing other bug hunting with my sister I found out that quantum stockpiles no longer explode.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:15:35 pm by Trabber Shir »

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 04:44:43 am »

Made it through an autumn after the retiring and resuming. The issue is different, I got no liaison at all this year. It will probably be another week real time before I get around to making it to Autumn of 107.