Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: QOL: Allow planning furniture/constructions without having the available items  (Read 512 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a great 'low hanging fruit' improvement. It's been done in DF Hack before (not available in the 50x release), so it is possible with the current game, and should be simpler to implement at the code level than through hacking. It's also fixes a frustrating experience for new players who try to design their forts just to told they can't.

Two examples of the benefit:

A major benefit of this is it works extremely well with Word Orders. For example if you can dig 30 bedrooms, then design those rooms however you'd like, doors/chests/beds/statues/armor stands/cabinets/etc exactly how you'd like it. Then set a work order like "IF AVAILABLE XXX IS > 5 MAKE 5".  From here you are basically done, your dwarves will continue to make as many of the items as they need to and continuously take those items to where they are needed. The best part is when you get another giant migrant wave and you just need to dig more rooms and plan more furniture, then the automation starts up again.

You want to build a wall around your new fort. When you first embark you can plan a large square wall around your fort and set a bunch of trees to be chopped. Then as someone is cutting tree after tree other people are grabbing wood and making defenses. Currently you have to keep building in small chunks until your done, it's a lot of tedious work.

dfhack also featured Item filtering as an option with this. Allowing you to plan a gold chest, or alder wood wall (exactly like with work orders) if that's how you want to do it.

- https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/tools/buildingplan.html?highlight=planning%20mode#item-filtering

Before someone says it's not needed because we have dfhack- I disagree that having a hack is a valid reason for not making basic UI improvements the base game. It opens up too many possible problems and it makes a game dependent on volunteers continuing to volunteer their time forever to improve a game with an infinite dev cycle. If dfhack can do this then a native solution would perform better and not need to be updated by fans for every new release version.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another one I miss is being able to limit a workshop to people above/below a certain skill level, and last used construction material being at the top of the list when you go to build again.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee

Another one I miss is being able to limit a workshop to people above/below a certain skill level, and last used construction material being at the top of the list when you go to build again.
I am pretty sure that these are DFHack-provided features, not present in vanilla game.
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

I am pretty sure that these are DFHack-provided features, not present in vanilla game.

Limiting workshops to certain skill levels is a vanilla DF feature (you'll need a manager for it), but last used construction materials a DFHack thing.