Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of AI Awareness  (Read 19183 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of AI Awareness
« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2023, 09:02:22 am »

AI Judges when?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2023, 02:40:04 am »

I hope the AI judge gives randomly generated sentences that have a random amount of time assigned to them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 08, 2023, 03:13:26 am »

Let's start with an AI judge that gives random sentences of vaguely correct grammar.

(Then ones that are contextually correct. Then ones that seem appropriate. Then ones that may not seem appropriate but statistically produce both decreased recidivism and[1] decreased affirmative punishment.)

[1] - Second requirement necessary to avoid Paperclip Judge just incarcerating everyone into solitary/Matrix-like 'single-player' podules, "just to be sure"...

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 08, 2023, 10:55:23 am »

Chinese popular social media TikTok keep getting limited\banned across the world

https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-ban-privacy-cybersecurity-bytedance-china-2dce297f0aed056efe53309bbcd44a04
I'm not upset to hear that, I've seen some stuff that was on that thing and it just seems to be people talking about dumb shit.

To be fair, you can probably say that about many other social platforms, but TikTok is known for its appeal among youth and high engagement (on average users spends 95 minutes per day on the platform) its also not that hard to exploit its algorithmic flaws and loopholes to promote harmful content. It is also tied to China and the most recent case of social media manipulation of public opinion in elections :

Internet Trolls: The Unseen Force Behind Philippines' Politics | Undercover Asia | CNA Documentary

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 08, 2023, 08:42:35 pm »

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the big problem with AI doom scenarios is doom is hard and AI doesn't do hard things. It finds ways to solve its objective function that require as little work as possible, usually in the process completely defeating whatever practical purpose the objective function had. And I don't think there's any way to circumvent this that doesn't make the AI worse than a human would be at the same task.  If you tell the AI to destroy the world it'll find a way to define the world as already destroyed and collect its dopamine. Or destroy the simplest and most available thing first, which is itself.
Reminds me of the Tetris-playing AI that figured out it will never lose a game if it pauses it right before it would lose and never unpauses.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2023, 04:19:01 am »

Chinese popular social media TikTok keep getting limited\banned across the world

https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-ban-privacy-cybersecurity-bytedance-china-2dce297f0aed056efe53309bbcd44a04
I'm not upset to hear that, I've seen some stuff that was on that thing and it just seems to be people talking about dumb shit.

To be fair, you can probably say that about many other social platforms, but TikTok is known for its appeal among youth and high engagement (on average users spends 95 minutes per day on the platform) its also not that hard to exploit its algorithmic flaws and loopholes to promote harmful content. It is also tied to China and the most recent case of social media manipulation of public opinion in elections :

Internet Trolls: The Unseen Force Behind Philippines' Politics | Undercover Asia | CNA Documentary
This is why I see social media as a terrible thing, and thinks we're better off without it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 09, 2023, 05:55:13 am »

This is why I see social media as a terrible thing, and thinks we're better off without it.

I personally don't use large social media sites, but I disagree that they are a terrible thing. While there are bad actors utilizing them, there has also been a great deal of positivity. Despite what is said about it's harmfulness to young people on certain outlets, the studies done by I think it was Instagram (and often cited as justification against social media) had shown that overall it is considered a positive thing by young people and of great utility. One of the few exception to the poll I am referring to was in a very small number specific categories, such as body image in young ladies. Personally I find this to be more the blame of decades of promotion of body image by marketing that of course extends into popular culture after such a persistant effort and of course is not limited to social media where it has also been applied.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2023, 11:24:29 pm »

Bumping this thread so people remember what a UFO actually means...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 29, 2023, 01:59:20 am »

So does this bump mean there's another balloon we all need to be afraid of?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 29, 2023, 02:33:56 am »

No it's just that allegedly the amount of ufo sightings has ballooned, remain in your seat, don't loosen the seat belt and remain calm, the army is building a 60 foot needle as we speak... wait...
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 29, 2023, 02:36:36 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2023, 04:34:44 am »

We need dart-armed monkeys with attitude
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]