Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of AI Awareness  (Read 18671 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of AI Awareness
« on: February 03, 2023, 07:25:55 pm »

Time to catalog this event so that people will believe it happened in six months.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/politics/us-tracking-china-spy-balloon/index.html

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions to Chinese White Balloon of DEATH
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 07:57:30 pm »

There's not really much doubt about what this is - it's a Electronics Intelligence (ELINT) device intended to pick up communications, that is supposed to be moored in international waters (the balloon gets the payload over the horizon and increases the reach, but keeps it low enough to pick up signals better than an ELINT satellite would) that came loose and is now drifting along weather patterns. There's little to be done about it (fighter aircraft don't go high enough to shoot it down easily, and trying would create a massive hazard for civilians on the ground), and in the end it only really merits a Stern Look Of Disapproval at the diplomatic level. This is literally a non-event that's being blown massively out of proportion by social media.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 08:08:05 pm »

There's not really much doubt about what this is - it's a Electronics Intelligence (ELINT) device intended to pick up communications, that is supposed to be moored in international waters (the balloon gets the payload over the horizon and increases the reach, but keeps it low enough to pick up signals better than an ELINT satellite would) that came loose and is now drifting along weather patterns. There's little to be done about it (fighter aircraft don't go high enough to shoot it down easily, and trying would create a massive hazard for civilians on the ground), and in the end it only really merits a Stern Look Of Disapproval at the diplomatic level. This is literally a non-event that's being blown massively out of proportion by social media.
Nah, it's just another UFO Coverup, obviously.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:17:04 pm »

(quote of drive-by troll removed)

Yeah, when Trump let China unleash a Weather Balloon upon the US, he was at least impeached!
...actually, I can't find much info on the alleged previous Balloons over US airspace.

At least a little info:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cia-director-william-burns-i-wouldnt-underestimate-xis-ambitions-for-taiwan/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/suspected-chinese-spy-balloon-found-northern-us-military-installations-rcna68879

Oh hey, they have a wikipedia page already!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 04:32:41 am »

Why's a weather balloon spy such a big deal, don't people do that kind of shit all the time.

Also they drive-by troll struck here as well, I wonder what it was about?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 09:33:54 am »

I can't really imagine a spy balloon can do much that a satellite can't these days, and China isn't exactly scarce on the resources needed to send spy satelites into orbit. Seems like empty posturing more than anything, possibly for internal purposes. I could easily see some espionage branch that needs to justify it's budget doing a largely useless excercise to keep it's spending up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 10:17:45 am »

I can't really imagine a spy balloon can do much that a satellite can't these days, and China isn't exactly scarce on the resources needed to send spy satelites into orbit.
I mean, for what it's worth on that point if the spy balloon works well enough relative to a satellite, it's pretty likely they're far more cost efficient, on top of letting lift capacity be spent on something that actually needs to be further up. Getting stuff out of atmo isn't cheap or easy. Just because there's a better alternative doesn't mean there's unlimited access to the alternative or that they're cost efficient for the desired task. I'd be surprised if the US or whoever doesn't have similar devices floating around, for more or less the same reasons.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 11:45:52 am »

The only thing I really have to add is I feel like this is a catch-22 situation. Well the balloon itself probably won't give the PRC anything you can't already get from google maps, not doing anything at all to discourage more incidents of "stray" balloons sends the wrong message and will probably invite more brazen incidents in the future.

Problem is, probably 90% of things you could do about it would also send an undesirable message, namely it might encourage them to start messing with US satellites, air travel, or other assets on the justification that we shot down/forcibly redirected/threw a hissy fit over/whatever their alleged "weather" balloon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 12:22:49 pm »

Kirov reporting
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 01:47:25 pm »

It's evidently reached the coast by now and planes are meandering in the general area, so some speculation that they've decided to wait until it's got nothing but open water to land on before popping it.

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 01:57:31 pm »

Pieces like that old Dave Barry 'year in review' are going to be chock full of jokes about the balloon, mark my words.

Otherwise, in my opinion all the attention is just a silly local celebrity / china-fear easy hook.

The Washington Post has an article today (paywalled, I imagine) on why a spy balloon is worth, and largely what folks have already mentioned - relatively cheap and can linger longer over a spot. More recent spy balloons (which aren't uncommon) also may have drone systems or other fancy bits. They can also essentially be a sacrificial probe of opposition defense - e.g. see when/how they detect it or how they take it down.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 02:40:33 pm »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 03:13:33 pm »

Ded.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 10:21:03 pm »

Anyone who can stomach Fox News want to tell me how Republicans spin this against Biden?

"He didn't risk American Lives shooting it down Faster!"

"He didn't send his Diplomat into a foreign and now possibly hostile country!"

"How dare he not declare WWIII!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28