Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbid tiles (Reverse burrows?)  (Read 369 times)

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forbid tiles (Reverse burrows?)
« on: February 06, 2023, 10:08:12 am »

I'd like to be able to make standing at a certain tile or area absolutely forbidden, no matter what any dwarf is doing, or if the only path to their goal would require passing through said area. It should (optionally) apply even to military dwarves in active duty. It should be pause/unpause-able like burrows.

The main use case I have for that is to avoid dwarves walking through a bridge that I have ordered the lever to be pulled. If I had such "reverse burrow" on the bridge, I could activate it and anyone, even military dwarves who were still on the way to their station, would not end up flinged 30 tiles into the air.

The "restricted pathing" tool doesn't help for that if the tiles are still the *only* way to a dwarf's destination. 

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forbid tiles (Reverse burrows?)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:50:42 pm »

I haven’t tried the steam burrow interface yet, but in previous versions it was trivial to construct an inverted burrow, and they functioned exactly as you describe. You merely had to start by selecting every tile on every z level by just doing a single toggle using two diametrically opposite corners of the map. Then you simply carve the forbidden zone out of that.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 06:41:06 pm »

That's a wall. You want it "pausable", put a door in it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 06:52:09 pm »

I haven’t tried the steam burrow interface yet, but in previous versions it was trivial to construct an inverted burrow, and they functioned exactly as you describe. You merely had to start by selecting every tile on every z level by just doing a single toggle using two diametrically opposite corners of the map. Then you simply carve the forbidden zone out of that.
This is an interesting workaround. A bit annoying to have to do, especially as in DF 50.x burrows need to be applied layer by layer, but it'd help in most cases.
Still not exactly ideal because there's a big change in how burrows work due to the lack of a Civilian Alert. Without the Alert, dwarves inside a burrow will wait for their current activity/job to finish (including the "No Job" activity) before obeying the burrow, causing a delay that might be problematic.
Granted, this feature would be good to have back regardless of it being a "Reverse" burrow or not.

That's a wall. You want it "pausable", put a door in it.

A door can't be applied to an area where wagons may need to cross.
Walls + door can't make dwarves who are idling inside the area get out immediately.
There are places where it'd be impossible or impractical to build anything, but which are still walkable and it'd be good to stop dwarves from going to.