Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bring back "tightly shut" doors  (Read 955 times)

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bring back "tightly shut" doors
« on: February 06, 2023, 10:12:10 am »

Cats (and a few other animals) wander into the caverns and end up dying to crundles, troglodytes and other monsters. I know that it caused performance issues, but it's too useful a tool to keep out of the game. Hopefully there's a way to reimplement it without the issues instead of keeping it removed forever.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Bring back "tightly shut" doors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 05:22:06 am »

You can restrict animals to pastures. Too bad zones can't span multiple z-levels.

The other problem with tightly shut doors is that animals could still follow dwarves through and get trapped on the other side.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:23:49 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:54:27 pm »

"It caused performance issues" is an understatement. The entire reputation of FPS death as an inevitable thing that always happens that people were constantly catastrophizing about was something that was entirely the fault of tightly closed doors.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 06:17:54 pm »

"It caused performance issues" is an understatement. The entire reputation of FPS death as an inevitable thing that always happens that people were constantly catastrophizing about was something that was entirely the fault of tightly closed doors.

Kind of an overstatement, since many people never used it. There's units (and unforbidden teeth?) stuck in trees. Units attempting to path to a fire FB, etc.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 06:20:24 pm »

Those are random and often transient, though. If someone claims to have the problem every single time, then you could be just about sure that this was someone who was using tightly closed doors a lot.

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 01:29:45 am »

Doing something like rimworld's subregion system should work, the dev talks about how it enables this very thing in a video about it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:15:42 am by ayy1337 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 05:41:38 pm »

The game already splits accessibility into subregions, that's kinda the problem. Having more subregion maps for pets, flying units etc. would be a performance disaster, nevermind everything else.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 04:17:17 pm »

Those are random and often transient, though. If someone claims to have the problem every single time, then you could be just about sure that this was someone who was using tightly closed doors a lot.

Meanwhile, I was using tightly closed doors a lot..... and didn't have the issues everyone talked about (other than once, and I see why it was annoying to them, but the other hundreds of times, no). And yes, I had cats in my forts all the time. They're great for killing off dangerous vermin.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

ayy1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 06:21:27 pm »

The game already splits accessibility into subregions, that's kinda the problem. Having more subregion maps for pets, flying units etc. would be a performance disaster, nevermind everything else.
Regions but not subregions. https://youtu.be/RMBQn_sg7DA?t=1035 Have a watch of the whole thing it's pretty cool.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 09:50:06 pm »

I don't know the underlying tech that made it drop FPS. But my point is that I find it unlikely that the problem was impossible to correct/mitigate (though I find it absolutely understandable if doing so would be take way too much time/effort for something that is not crucial for the game to work).