Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: User Defined Procedural Object Generation for Mods  (Read 316 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
User Defined Procedural Object Generation for Mods
« on: February 10, 2023, 06:32:51 pm »

So first of all, I am aware that procedurally generated objects themselves are already a thing and the object types and limitations of the procedural generation code are going to be expanded significantly. What this suggestion is explicitly about is making access to the procedurally generated content possible for user defined raws for mods.

Right now the game's procedural creature generation isn't available to be influenced by users/modders. What I would like to see someday, is the ability to, in a mod's raws, tell the game to generate an object of a particular class, that will be referenced by the object ID I define, so that I can call upon that object for, for instance, summoning nightmares, bogeymen, experiments, demons, angels etc, which will be unique to that world only. If such generation could take into account particular arguments such as what spheres the creature should be related to, or it must be a large predator or must be a grazer or must be intelligent and able to grasp and equip items, that would be ideal.

In addition to creatures, this would be nice to use with objects for civs, for instance generating "adjective" armor/weapons as worldgen does already in some instances such as angels' equipment. For instance, specifying that the game should choose and apply an adjective to some or all of a civ's armor, and again for weapons, such that a particular dwarf civ has their helmets, breastplates etc described as "blocky" while another's are consistently described as "pointed." The ability to have these adjectives relate to a civ's generated pantheon spheres, values, and art objects would be ideal. I realize this is almost certainly already planned or intended already, but having the ability to explicitly call for it in the raws of a modded entity would be a huge bonus.

Some other points may be, allowing mods to call upon generated objects already made for a world, not just requesting they.be generated for the mod, such as, if the world generated angels, let this interaction summon them as well as user defined creature, entities etc. If the world has nightmares, give a secret the power to summon those explicitly, or target and wound/kill those specifically, or a civ the ability to tame them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.