Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AI Generated Raws  (Read 2211 times)

Xrazlyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AI Generated Raws
« on: February 07, 2023, 09:40:18 am »

Has anybody tried making AI generated Raws using such things as Chatgpt?
I'm curious and want to compare some of the design choices with existing raws.

Follow-up question: What would you think of such creations going forward?
Personally I feel the same about it as I do about AI art: it devalues human made materials, and shouldn't be accepted in place of real effort and skill, and at best the AI generation of the assets should be disclosed to the user.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: AI Generated Raws
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 03:39:21 pm »

I do not expect ChatGPT to generate correct raws. It does not generate correct code except the very most trivial, either. It doesn't generate correct text, if you require "says true things" as a prerequisite for correctness. So to talk about design choices is a bit of a category error.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 12:55:46 pm »

Yes I found it :D
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42059.0
It was a fun thread back in the days, there were also some "serious" project but those were not able to do much...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Xrazlyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 07:48:39 am »

Had to wait until just before sunrise to actually use Chatgpt, but here is the response to:
"create raw for a dwarf fortress, version 50.07, for mithril"

Dwarf Fortress is a complex game that allows players to create and manage their own dwarf fortresses in a procedurally generated, fantastical world. In Dwarf Fortress version 50.07, mithril is a valuable and rare resource that players can use to craft powerful weapons, armor, and other items.

Here's a basic raw for mithril in Dwarf Fortress version 50.07:

[MATERIAL:MITHRIL]
Metal
 Material Material Size:1
 Material Hardness:40000
 Material Density:8000
 Material Fracture Toughness:30
 Material Melting Point:1850
 Material Boiling Point:3000
 Material Solid Density:8000
 Material IMPACT_YIELD:7000
 Material IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000
 Material STRAIN_AT_YIELD:8000
 Material MAX_EDGE:30
 Material MIN_EDGE:1
 Material MIN_TOUGHNESS:7000
 Material MAX_TOUGHNESS:10000
 Material MIN_DUCTILITY:6000
 Material MAX_DUCTILITY:9000
 Material MIN_TEMPER:7500
 Material MAX_TEMPER:8500
 Material HEATDAM_POINT:1750
 Material HEATDAM_EDGE:30
 Material COOL_TEMPER:1500
 Material SPEC_HEAT:300
 Material IGNITE_POINT:2000
 Material ENTWINED:NO
 Material SPARKS:NO
 Material NONE_STONE:NO
 Material BEND_RADIUS:200
 Material CRACK_FILLER:YES
 Material METALLIC:YES

So, it doesn't look like it can form functional raws, as it creates a bunch of fake tokens, but it might be a source of data points for specific values of some tokens. Regardless, I still dislike the separation of human processing from the creative process...

Sockmit2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 09:19:58 am »

My five second result
[CREATURE:IRONBEAK_CHIRPER]
[DESCRIPTION:A small bird with metallic-looking feathers and a dense iron beak.]

[NAME:ironbeak chirper:ironbeak chirpers:ironbeak chirper]

[CASTE_NAME:ironbeak chirper:ironbeak chirpers:ironbeak chirper]
[CREATURE_TILE:'b'][COLOR:7:0:1]
[CREATURE_CLASS:BIRD]

[LARGE_ROAMING]
[FREQUENCY:100]

[NATURAL_SKILL:CLIMBING:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:FLYING:7]

[BODY:BIRD:2WINGS:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:TAIL:2LEGS:2ARMS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:2000]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:FEATHER]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:7500]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FEATHER:FEATHER_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FEATHER_TEMPLATE:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:10:10:0:0:0]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:iron]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten iron]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling iron]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:PLASMA:fiery iron]

[DIURNAL]

[CARNIVORE]
[EAT_VERB:pecks at:pecks at:NA]
[FEED_PER_ITEM:100]
[FOOD_TYPE:MEAT]

[OVIPAROUS]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG:SOLID]
[EGG_SIZE:20]

[PREFSTRING:graceful flight]
[PREFSTRING:dense iron beak]
[PREFSTRING:metallic feathers]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 05:57:02 pm »

These things, like the travestificator, are great for generating random nonsense that can be inspirational for actual implementation by a human, but not for generating something functional. Toady's current procedural creature generation is actually way ahead of them for creating critters that actually work in context. If Toady was willing to divulge how that works, then someone could do something equally productive for users, but at this point I bet that's as much a trade secret as how worldgen functions.

Maybe the best suggestion is actually, have user difineable raws that tell the game "generate something random here in this object class, using this object ID," such as nightmares or bogeymen or experiments, which the mod can then call upon elsewhere. Right now i can't do that for my necromancers or nightmare bringers, have to invent every weirdo myself, which is exhausting, and they'll be the same in every world.

[Edit]

I made a suggestion explicitly for that
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:52:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 02:17:53 pm »

I was curious so I just tried this prompt

> create dwarf fortress raws for a hobbit creature

Here's an example of how you could create raws for a hobbit creature in Dwarf Fortress:

Create a new entry for the hobbit in the creature_raws file:

[CREATURE:HOBBIT]
    [DESCRIPTION:A small, quick-footed humanoid with curly hair and pointed ears.]
    [NAME:hobbit:hobbits:hobbit]
    [CASTE_NAME:hobbit:hobbits:hobbit]
    [ALL_TRIGGERS]
    [CREATURE_TILE:'h'][COLOR:6:0:0]
    [BASIC_SIZE:500]
    [ADULT_SIZE:700]
    [GENERAL_CHILD_SIZE:400]
    [BODY:QUADRUPED:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:TAIL:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_CANINES:RIBCAGE]
    [MAXAGE:70:100]
    [LIFE_STAGE:CHILD]
    [LIFE_STAGE:ADULT]
    [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

Define the physical attributes of the hobbit in the creature_variation file:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:500]
    [BODY_SIZE:1:0:700]
    [CHILD:BODY_SIZE_MULTIPLIER:1]
    [ADULT:BODY_SIZE_MULTIPLIER:1.4]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
    [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]

Define the skills and abilities of the hobbit in the creature_standard file:

[SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:1]
    [SKILL:BITE:1]
    [SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:1]
    [SKILL:WRESTLING:1]
    [VISION_ARC:50:310]
    [MEANDERER]
    [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:2]
    [NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:2]
    [NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:2]
    [NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:2]
    [PREFSTRING:curly hair]
    [PREFSTRING:pointed ears]

Note that these raws are just an example and may need to be tweaked based on your specific vision for hobbits in your game. You can find more information on creating raws in the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.

That's kinda cool. I tried asking for an entity file and it did a lot worse

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 03:49:45 pm »

I thought it might be useful for generating language files, I'm getting closer but haven't figured out how to get it to do a full file yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 06:21:02 pm by Pillbo »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 09:47:21 pm »

"...these raws are just an example and may need to be tweaked..."

Quite the understatement there, but who am I to judge if the AI's vision of a hobbit is a quadruped with canine teeth. :D

I thought it might be useful for generating language files, I'm getting closer but haven't figured out how to get it to do a full file yet.

Maybe just use it to generate a bunch of gibberish fantasy words and use those as a base for DFLang?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 11:01:01 pm »

Speaking of the Travestificator, Google informed me that the old Drive link in the Travesties thread no longer works.

So here's a new one. Hope it works.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 11:59:34 pm »

These things, like the travestificator, are great for generating random nonsense that can be inspirational for actual implementation by a human, but not for generating something functional. Toady's current procedural creature generation is actually way ahead of them for creating critters that actually work in context. If Toady was willing to divulge how that works, then someone could do something equally productive for users, but at this point I bet that's as much a trade secret as how worldgen functions.

Maybe the best suggestion is actually, have user difineable raws that tell the game "generate something random here in this object class, using this object ID," such as nightmares or bogeymen or experiments, which the mod can then call upon elsewhere. Right now i can't do that for my necromancers or nightmare bringers, have to invent every weirdo myself, which is exhausting, and they'll be the same in every world.

[Edit]

I made a suggestion explicitly for that
I think it just has several slider variables, like size, and a bunch of modifiers that can be applies, like taking away the creature's skin or adding horns or adding a special attack. Pretty sure it's not super sophisticated but it works. Someone could make a script to emulate it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 11:12:21 am »

I mean, randomly generated forgotten beasts in the original DF are exactly that: a set of rules that can make variations of bodies, tokens and properties.

AI is awesome when it's trained on a huge varied database and produces fantastic results. DF doesn't really have many raws to train on, and also there's no inherent explanation that would tell AI which raws mean what, so it's similar to "making AI text on signs", a bunch of semi-coherent gibberish without much value.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 09:23:48 pm »

I really like the idea of generating a bunch of raws, pruning them for fake tokens, and then generating a world composed entirely of AI generated materials and creatures. That sounds like an enormous amount of fun. Although you'd really have to smudge things together, in order for it all to work correctly. Like for instance, with figuring out which procedurally generated body plan token to add to a creature, because theres no way the AI is keeping track of the body plans its made, lol.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 10:15:43 pm »

Chatgpt would be better at creating the actual text of books, based on the description and being tweaked to reference the history files of whichever world you're using.  Chatgpt's strength is in creating readable bullshit: given that the description of each book describes not only the subject matter and quality of the text, but also its "voice" and number of pages, these qualities become the boundary conditions that constrain the program's output.

Given the correct data on poetic forms, it could probably also churn out actual examples of a World's poetry and musical styles as well.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 11:59:22 pm »

Yeah, though I think it might be better for people to just do that on their own instead of building that in, haha.
Pages: [1] 2