Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vector Plays Rest and Self-Recovery Challenge  (Read 1044 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vector Plays Rest and Self-Recovery Challenge
« on: March 26, 2023, 05:16:08 pm »

As it says in the thread title, I'm going off of work (my PhD program) for six months following some health problems and burnout. The past three years have been a nonstop trauma conga after five years of nonstop workplace hustle where I took at most one day off per month and school is, uh, well, whatever. They're not exactly being constructive.

I have pretty much never had a true-blue rest or leave or whatever, and I want to document what it's like and what kinds of things I learn. I'm from a rural family that has survived on its ability to scrimp, save, and simply be more durable than other people. You don't do anything for your mental health other than your morning cup of coffee and a look at the sunset or going inside to play backgammon in the hot part of the day. You certainly don't take a day off, or a week off, or half a year.

And yet, at time of writing I have found my limit.

Mending and other little maintenance things have piled up and up and up, I've been struggling to eat normally for more than eight months (honestly, since March 2020, but it's worse lately), I'm having multiple migraines each week and have sat sobbing in many parking lots in town ... and lately my heart has started feeling ... off.

(All that, and with the situation facing trans people, I want to spend some time having fun while the getting's good)

So yours truly is going to accept the challenge of spending six months as a NEET in the Sacramento area and see where it leads me. I expect to write a post about once per week and see how it goes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Vector Plays Rest and Self-Recovery Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 10:23:42 pm »

Best of luck to you. Burnout kills. Glad you're making a priority of your health.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 07:03:05 am »

I am doing something similar, but probably not 'restful' for most people.

I too will be off work for 3 months.  Best of luck to you, but I suggest that you stay busy.  Off work, and NOT occupied will make you stir crazy. Give yourself plenty to do, but dont burden or tax yourself.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 07:29:51 am »

Hell yeah, Vector. I'll be happy to read along. I understand the whole "never take a day", thing. I went from protestant work-ethic straight to working in Japan, which did lasting damage to the concept of a "sick day". Only recently have I become comfortable with taking a day off to recover from some illness/crashing an e-bike on the way to work.