Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark on SPOILERN!  (Read 745 times)

ddogma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Embark on SPOILERN!
« on: February 10, 2023, 04:26:32 am »

Is there a way to embark on a Vault in the Premium Version of the Game? There is no Adventure Mode so im not sure how to find a Vault. It would be ok if i have to use something like DFHack but i cant figure out how to encounter one in Fortress Mode

Pembroke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Embark on SPOILERN!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 04:48:45 pm »

I actually was just playing with this yesterday. The good news is, it's not too difficult.

You will need to add the reveal hidden sites script into your DFHack lua folder. It gives a warning for being untested on the current release, but I used it on multiple worlds and multiple embark attempts without any issue. Running it while on the embark screen will populate the worldmap with a whole lot more icons; you'll want to look for the one for vaults, of course. It's fairly similar to the icon for tombs, so it can be hard to spot.

Zooming in on that area will show a 1x1 tile spot that's marked in red, like with other civ sites. This is the tile for the vault itself, but you cannot embark on it once it's been revealed. Instead, write down the location/screenshot/remember it however you prefer. quit to the title screen, and start a new fortress again. You can then embark on the location you marked without any extra effort, since the hidden sites are, well, hidden again.

One thing I did discover is that if the vault's area intersects any of the new HFS, it will remove the mineable tiles and any liquids, replacing them wholesale. However, the empty tiles in the HFS that spawn things once revealed still have their normal properties, and thus will generate whatever they would have if they had been mined out normally. This means you can immediately get clowns in the middle of your vault. I personally play on relatively thin worlds with a single cavern layer, which is why I ran into it; YMMV.

Last note, out of the 5 or 6 embarks I checked out, only one of them actually had the slab spawn. I didn't play any of them long enough to see how trying to raid the vault for it would work while you're right on top of it or if trying the same embark multiple times might get it to show up, but if you're interested in that feature then beware, I guess.