Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Community game ideas  (Read 1946 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Community game ideas
« on: February 10, 2023, 05:12:32 pm »

Since this is the community games topic. Let's talk ideas/concepts for new community games and see if we can't bring some of them into being.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:24:47 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community game ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 09:40:18 pm »

I've been waiting until I caught up on some stuff on other forts and games(Adelaathira)

but I really wanted to do a succession game with my favorite playstyle:

I always generate a world and use it until:

-Its fully conquered
-All unique, fantastical and challenging obstacles are overcome
-the world breaks

So I thought about doing a succession game where we try to conquer the world. If we successfully take over a region we make a new fort somewhere else in the same world and continue.

It sounds easy, but then you randomly run into a dark pits with a legendary goblin leader who wipes your entire military and you start back at 0
Or a necro tower sends an invasion while your boys are out conquering

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 01:18:22 pm »

I second the multi-fortress world succession idea. The World of Bones kinda has this going on, but if all players were instead tasked with some larger goal or quest it would make for an interesting chain of stories, all told within the same context..

I think the current popularity of The Museum succession speaks to people's interest in this sort of long-form succession. Which really isn't as feasible or enjoyable with a single fortress. Not to say 50+ turn fortress successions are not grand or epic, but they are somewhat of a chore to play simply due to a combination of lag and the multi-layered chaos that usually results from too many cooks in the kitchen. so to speak.

I am tempted to re-start my old competitive dwarf fortress thread with new ideas but have not been super-inspired. I think something akin to shared challenges (whether in production of goods, triggering of specific events, or headcount of enemies killed, etc) with light competitive elements would be great fun.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 03:17:01 pm »

I can get to work generating an ideal world for the game! Is medium size acceptable to most people's computers?

Maybe challenges like we can't move on to the next fort unless:

-Conquer the surrounding region
-Build secure outposts on every cavern layer
-complete some form of mega or semi-mega project before we retire

Reward:
We refuse to become an official colony until the overseer who achieved the most(either in tasks accomplished, story told or enemies destroyed) will be made the duke/duchess/count(ess)? Who gets it would probably be voted on as general consensus I'd imagine!
and there's plenty of forts in the same world to do for others to achieve it

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 05:01:05 pm »

I would... be very careful before committing to a world for this. make sure you generate, um

1. pops of every variety
2. long enough history those pops spread out
3. but not so long that all the interesting creatures are wiped out
4. and also not so long that the game takes ages to save/load and FPS suffers unduly

it is a tough balancing act. I have found 250-500 years the sweet spot of age, and custom settings allowing for increased biome variety can make for really nice embarks with lots of goodies.

How much space should be left between the outpost fortresses? Are we building one fortress per biome, or region, or world tile map?

I like the idea of being forced to build little outposts in each cavern layer with enough space for a caravan to enter. Perhaps a list of objectives with the players picking 3 of 5 to complete before 'winning' and uploading the save file?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 11:06:32 pm »

Stupid community dwarf trick forts sound fun. Of course, the more unusual and unconventional the stupid dwarf tricks, the better!

Basic magma flooding, large scale atom smashers, or mine carts are fine, but going with shenanigans involving forgotten beast gas, vats of various dangerous extracts, and/or build a fun house maze filled with mirrors and with horrible little monkey stranglers sounds awesome.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 11:13:55 am »

i think two people embarking the same location in the same world and trading the save back and forth every two ingame years could be very interesting

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 01:50:15 pm »

Tandem fort is a good idea

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 03:34:51 pm »

An idea for a challenge fort I had was to basically make a resort town. You embark in some picturesque location like a lake or a waterfall and build a luxury fortress focused on catering to visitors. The challenge would likely come in the form of managing all the visitors. Bar fights, spies, artifact thefts, all that good stuff.

Example Rules
The citizen cap is only half the visitor cap.

If there's a zone that attracts visitors, you need to have it (tavern, temple, library, etc.)

You have three years where you can have zones set to citizens only, but after that everything has to be open to everyone, with the possible exception of a library storing original works.

Taverns must have tavern keepers serving drinks, and all zones that can have performers need at least one performer assigned.

No minimalistic designs. All rooms, passages, and the general layout of the fort itself should be fancy.

What do you all think?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 05:05:35 pm »

Interesting so almost like an embassy. Have a tavern and all the ammenitys needed for guests. Could produce some good intrigue, as my most recent fort has had several guests trying to start a coup.

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 07:09:56 pm »

Interesting so almost like an embassy. Have a tavern and all the ammenitys needed for guests. Could produce some good intrigue, as my most recent fort has had several guests trying to start a coup.
So do you think it would be a good succession fort, or just something I'd play solo while having community involvement?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 08:09:50 pm »

Well, its up to you. the idea is really great. I have had similar ideas of hosting some kind of tavern or other 'business' -

It occurred to me to try some AI generation for inspiration / roleplay value. here is the output of my naive question: what rooms or buildings might someone find in a fantasy resort town?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

obviously some of these are easier to translate into DF than others.

if you have a good idea for a long-term narrative, then a community fortress with only one player might be the best option to preserve story cohesion (see Waterlures for a great example of this kind of thing). but if you dont mind the usual chaos, shenanigans and general tomfoolery that occurs from a succession game you could start the thread. I would join for sure!

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 05:25:25 am »

I just made a thread to gauge interest for this kind of succession fort. If you could reply to show your interest and leave any ideas for it there I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181457.0

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 07:31:28 am »

Challenge idea: The stones are cursed.

You can't use anything that's obtained by mining - so you have to buy everything you're planning to use (at embark or from caravans).
Bonus points if you can't cut down trees.
Bonus points if you destroy everything you dig up.
Extra bonus points if you start in a cursed (evil) biome.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 07:40:31 am by Baprr »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 09:09:32 am »

This is interesting, so you don't delve. I see farming as your main income. Could be fun but stone trading is uber slow as you will only get a few blocks.

Drunken scholar
Pages: [1] 2