Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Community game ideas  (Read 1945 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community game ideas
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 09:36:40 am »

Yeah, I jumped into the new version without knowing that wagons wouldn't arrive until you were a barony. I ordered a bunch of different metal ores and when next year rolled around the merchants had maybe one piece of each type of ore.
In order to trade for stone reliably, you'd need to be a barony. To become a barony though, you need a holding, which means being successful economically or militarily, which is difficult without being able to mine.

I mean, it sure sounds like a challenge, and if you made a successful fort this way I'd be interested in looking at the story, but it sounds too hard-core for my taste.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 09:55:52 am »

clay/glass forts are a lot of fun, but with the new agitation mechanic, it will be quite difficult to produce enough fuel from wood. Raw clay structures are totally viable, though, which would at least keep the rain off your dwarves.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 11:08:38 am »

This is interesting, so you don't delve. I see farming as your main income. Could be fun but stone trading is uber slow as you will only get a few blocks.

I think you need to get to magma asap. I imagine melting down bought equipment and goblinite to be a better source of building materials than blocks. You can buy coal, but there is only so much coal you can buy at embark.

Yeah, I jumped into the new version without knowing that wagons wouldn't arrive until you were a barony. I ordered a bunch of different metal ores and when next year rolled around the merchants had maybe one piece of each type of ore.
In order to trade for stone reliably, you'd need to be a barony. To become a barony though, you need a holding, which means being successful economically or militarily, which is difficult without being able to mine.

I mean, it sure sounds like a challenge, and if you made a successful fort this way I'd be interested in looking at the story, but it sounds too hard-core for my taste.

I don't think merchants even sell ore - only blocks made of ore, which is way less helpful.

clay/glass forts are a lot of fun, but with the new agitation mechanic, it will be quite difficult to produce enough fuel from wood. Raw clay structures are totally viable, though, which would at least keep the rain off your dwarves.

That's a good way to do that. Would be way too easy with a volcano though.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2023, 12:33:43 pm »

How about an island embark?   Lots of pros and cons to such a Community.  Lack of resources, likely no migrants or traders, and so on.  Lots of fish.  But depending on the size of the island you might have to be careful about the trees.

Island DF Wiki
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 03:08:21 pm »

I don't think merchants even sell ore - only blocks made of ore, which is way less helpful.

They certainly did sell ore in 0.47. Has that been changed for 0.50?

Also, far better to request boulders than blocks from caravans, since you get 4 blocks from 1 boulder.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 03:52:14 pm »

They certainly did sell ore in 0.47. Has that been changed for 0.50?

Also, far better to request boulders than blocks from caravans, since you get 4 blocks from 1 boulder.

They certainly might, I never really tried to get ores from traders.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 03:53:58 pm »

How about an island embark?   Lots of pros and cons to such a Community.  Lack of resources, likely no migrants or traders, and so on.  Lots of fish.  But depending on the size of the island you might have to be careful about the trees.

Island DF Wiki

It's a pity you can't embark in the middle of the ocean. An island might be the next best thing. I remember something about caravans coming through caverns - or was it a part of a mod?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2023, 03:53:47 am »

Island DF Wiki

You get migrants and Dwarven caravans (from your civ) as normal, unless you can find an island small enough to be surrounded by water (do such islands even gen?).

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023, 09:47:49 am »

I had an idea a while of a 1x1 fort where the goal was to extract, process and export all rock tiles. E.g. all native rock tiles have to be digged out, but rooms are allowed to be build. No stone may be thrown away, must be produced in some sort of good and exported to a trader.

Another one was to recreate diabolo 1 village + catedral.

Another very ambitious project would be to recreate Gothic 2 Khorinis with dfhack tileset etc.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 09:53:08 am by xkcd1963 »

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2023, 03:56:38 pm »

They certainly might, I never really tried to get ores from traders.
They're under the "stones" section when you're talking to the outpost liaison.
Pages: 1 [2]