Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Auto-Mafia - Game Over - Mafia Win!  (Read 17174 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-Mafia - Game Over - Mafia Win!
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2023, 01:27:13 pm »

I thought he was town early, but when he started making his cases I changed my mind ‘cause they didn’t make sense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

zemaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2023, 01:28:55 pm »

GG everyone, and thanks for hosting NQT!

pro tip:  ITS ALWAYS THE NEWBIE!  ;D

this was an awesome (if confusing) setup, and I like the auto-resolve after intense D1.  That said, I think this is really easy to abuse by scum... vote-weighting is pretty much how we got off that mislynch on FoU.  It easily could have gone the other way.  I'd like to take some personal credit for that, with what I feel was a stellar bit of role-play, but it really probably was mostly the setup.

8/10... would definitely murder play again.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2023, 01:38:58 pm »

That was interesting…

I suspected zemaj by the end of day. Was certain after the D1 flip.  Never suspected Jim…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2023, 01:53:16 pm »

I did not expect FoU to actually be lynched on Day 2. That's painful. If the game didn't have the auto resolution I think the game looks a lot different and the scum team have a much harder time.

I think I may have underestimated or not fully grasped the impact of the weighted voting on how lynches are resolved, but it seems apparent that the shameless vote gaming that the scum team get to do after Day 1 is pretty potent. Perhaps the voting lists should be posted publicly? That would let the town better coordinate on future lynches and also stops the scum team from being able to vote how they really want to.

I think Fluffe9911 should have claimed Cop. I'm not convinced the role results of the cop or doctor are worth more than a confirmed town or thunderdome situation.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2023, 02:01:25 pm »

I put FoU above zemaj because I found FoU/Jim more likely than zemaj/Jim.

zemaj/Jim is basically the only scum team that can beat me in this game, oh well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2023, 02:09:37 pm »

Thanks everyone for playing!

Perhaps the voting lists should be posted publicly? That would let the town better coordinate on future lynches and also stops the scum team from being able to vote how they really want to.
On first blush this seems like it would work better, but also consider this would allow the mafia team to make perfect night kill choices, so it might end up more potent for them. Could be worth a try some time. Though another thing is, if the lists were public, people would have to make them before the D1 flip, which would also make things harder for town.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 02:26:24 pm by notquitethere »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2023, 02:27:17 pm »

Wait I don't think that my list logic even worked since mafia only needed a single mislynch (after the initial one) to win the game if I'm reading the thread right. I guess I didn't count correctly being filled with nyquil. I think the chances of me listing zemaj, FoU, Jim, Irony in that order after realizing the correct mislynch math is really slim though. I would be more likely to list it as zemaj, FoU, Irony, Jim if I had to so I don't think it ended up mattering.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 02:32:55 pm by ToonyMan »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2023, 02:29:04 pm »

Don’t do hypnotics and mafia.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2023, 02:34:48 pm »

Well dang GG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2023, 03:10:06 pm »

That explains why Jim was covering for zemaj's panic attack, but otherwise I had Jim as my second to last choice after a1s (and myself). The only things I ever suspected Jim for was trying to get town votes out in the open (which I admitted probably helped town more than scum, because most information helps town more than scum), and that he was lurking kind of a lot at the end relative to his earlier play.

I don't see a scenario where we won that one.

Thanks everyone for playing!

Perhaps the voting lists should be posted publicly? That would let the town better coordinate on future lynches and also stops the scum team from being able to vote how they really want to.
On first blush this seems like it would work better, but also consider this would allow the mafia team to make perfect night kill choices, so it might end up more potent for them. Could be worth a try some time. Though another thing is, if the lists were public, people would have to make them before the D1 flip, which would also make things harder for town.
Thanks for hosting! Interesting experiment.

I wonder if more moving parts would make the game better or worse. The whole point is to be short, but I'm not sure if it should be simple.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2023, 03:36:42 pm »

Once again it's proved I cannot read players at all.

I will continue playing mafia because even though I'm terrible at it, it's still fun.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2023, 04:00:58 pm »

I wonder if more moving parts would make the game better or worse. The whole point is to be short, but I'm not sure if it should be simple.
It could possibly work with more roles. Here's some ideas:

- One Shot Alternator: Each night can choose whether to change the night of every other alternating powers for the rest of the game, including that night (this could mitigate against revealed roles and make it harder for scum)
- One-Shot Hype-Man: On N1, increases the trustworthiness of one player for the rest of the game
- Even Night Mimic: Copies one living player's role power on target (disincentive for doc to claim)

Role powers are fun and they make the calculus more interesting/difficult, but too many of them can squeeze out scum's claim space, make too many confirmed townies. One way to avoid that is to have either/or roles: e.g. either a cop OR a mafia redirecter-- that makes no one lock town for claiming an uncontested role (like a1s did). But it makes the game a little harder for players to reason about, and harder to balance too.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 01, 2023, 04:45:25 pm »

Could disallow scum from voting after day 1, right? They already have a kill and don't need votes to remain unsuspicious when the game is in auto-mode.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 01, 2023, 04:56:44 pm »

I think they still need to have votes, otherwise it skews everything way towards town, but I could adjust it so that they don't add trustworthiness to their allies. If that were the case, Zemaj would have drawn with Fallacy on D2, but then Fallacy would have been eliminated D3- so more competitive for town, but not overwhelmingly so.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-Mafia - (Short, Beginner Friendly). Signups: 0/7+
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2023, 03:02:37 am »

In.

You get bonus points if you use AI models trained on our posts to play the rest of the game for us.

By the way...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]