Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If a mod is only visual, can it be added to an existing world? (Steam)  (Read 1177 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The mod in question is Detailed Landscapes by Poss.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2908779064
All it does is change how different grass types are depicted. Is there a way to add it to an existing world? I'm not scared of diving deep into the files if that's necessary, I just want to know if it can be done and, if so, how.

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile

Should be possible I think! Just enter the save of the world you wanna edit I think, and swap out the images! Graphics are on a per world basis so everything should be fine with just replacing the image,,, I think!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

It used to work that way, but not anymore. As of .50.01 graphics arent stored in the save anymore, and I dont think you can edit a save's load order to include mods it wasn't generated with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It used to work that way, but not anymore. As of .50.01 graphics arent stored in the save anymore, and I dont think you can edit a save's load order to include mods it wasn't generated with.
Does changing the files in Installed Mods work?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Only if you trick it into thinking they're the same version of the same mod, like if you were developing a mod and havent changed the version number yet, but if the mod wasn't installed in the first place I doubt that'll help.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JustFine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I have been working on my own graphic set for 50.0* and have been able to change graphics during a playthrough, although you need to exit the game for the changes to take effect.

P.S. This only applies to replacing already existing graphics, not adding new ones.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 05:56:21 am by JustFine »